VOGONS

Common searches

GLQuake

Topic actions

First post, by voivod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want to replay Quake. It has been a very long time. Surprisingly under DOSBox the game is very demanding. In 640x480 I get 12 - 15 fps. This is unplayable.
So I looked for the two of the oldest ports WinQuake and GLQuake. With WinQuake I also get crappy framerate around 17fps (640x480).
In GLQuake however the game is too fast though. In 1024x768 at 120 fps it is way too fast and not enjoyable. Is there a way to limit or lock the framerate say to 30fps in GLQuake?

Reply 1 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does enabling vsync in your video driver work? Don't know what system you're playing on or graphics card, but lots of drivers let you have per-game config settings.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 7, by voivod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

Does enabling vsync in your video driver work? Don't know what system you're playing on or graphics card, but lots of drivers let you have per-game config settings.

Thanks for the hint. I enabled "vsync" in the properties of my video driver and it did the trick. Now I can play it with 60 fps. Perfect. Thank you.
I have a small laptop (11" screen) that I bought back in 2012. It's i3@1.40Ghz, 4GB RAM and Intel 3000 graphic. I basically just use it to play old games in DOSbox these days.

Reply 4 of 7, by voivod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

Why not use one of the newer source ports? They won't have problems like that and there's a few of them that are very authentic to the original experience.

Yes, I probably could. Bot not sure how would that work in terms of performance. See the specs of my system in the reply above. Also I really wanted the most vanilla experience (software mode) but since it's too demanding for my system (how ironic in 2016) I will be happy to play GLQuake.

Reply 5 of 7, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You probably can. Go ahead and try it out and see what happens. I usually use Darkplaces (may be too demanding) and sometimes Quakespasm. There are other good ones too. One of the nice advantages of modern source ports is you can usually put the CD audio in a folder under Quake in mp3 or ogg format, and have it play music without requiring the CD present.

Reply 7 of 7, by voivod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried Winquake with said parameter but it gives some red glitches and visual artifacts.
Anyways I'm playing GLQuake... only to find out that CD music doesn't loop. Uncle google says it's an issue with modern OS. What a bummer.