VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by pseudo3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, so there's this old game that I really wanted to play since it was on OS 9 and early OS X machines. WingNuts: Temporal Navigator by Freeverse Software. Mac version is easy to find but there was a bug that prevented music from progressing in later levels (10.5 broke it, as I recall). PC version was a little harder to find, it's shareware but regardless if I find it or not, I was never able to get it to launch properly past the loading screen. I tried different compatibility modes to launch it but never got it to work. I was hoping to know if I can get it to work on a modern Windows 7 machine.

Last edited by pseudo3d on 2016-07-06, 13:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pseudo3d wrote:

PC version was a little harder to find, it's shareware but regardless if I find it or not, I was never able to get it to launch properly past the loading screen. I tried different compatibility modes to launch it but never got it to work. I was hoping to know if I can get it to work on a modern Windows 7 machine.

...Well, no, it would be pretty difficult to run a game that you cannot find.

Reply 2 of 8, by pseudo3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
pseudo3d wrote:

PC version was a little harder to find, it's shareware but regardless if I find it or not, I was never able to get it to launch properly past the loading screen. I tried different compatibility modes to launch it but never got it to work. I was hoping to know if I can get it to work on a modern Windows 7 machine.

...Well, no, it would be pretty difficult to run a game that you cannot find.

I found the "demo" on Fileplanet, which is a shareware version (hence, there is no "real" version floating around the Internet, I just would need to find a code). I'd like to give the shareware version a run, but it just won't work.

Reply 3 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you provide a link to this download, then? It is highly unlikely that some random person here will have heard of this obscure game, and it is difficult to propose any kind of general solution from merely "it just won't work". Perhaps you are getting some kind of error message?

Reply 4 of 8, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's an archive (partial?) of FilePlanet made by ArchiveTeam at archive.org so we'd just need the shareware installer executable name.

[EDIT] Which is wingnuts.exe.
http://www.fileplanet.com/113370/download/Win … poral-Navigator which redirects to
http://download.fileplanet.com/ftp1/092002/wingnuts.exe
This block of files appears not to have been snagged by ArchiveTeam, but the link is working for now.

Here's Tucows archive of the demo for Windows:
http://www.tucows.com/preview/285416/Wingnuts … poral-Navigator

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 8, by russolini77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I believe I've just solved this- tested on Windows XP and Windows 10, most likely everything else...

So here's the deal. WingNuts Temporal Navigator relied on QuickTime for playing the soundtrack. In Windows XP and after, you don't need QuickTime installed to play the game, but you won't hear music. In Windows 10, maybe before, it just crashes halfway through the loading screen. And even in Windows XP, you wouldn't be able to save a game or register a high score. And it would crash half the time after levels.

So, when I noticed it DID actually have a soundtrack, and from reading the README file it depended on QuickTime, I tried installing QuickTime. Didn't quite work - at least, QuickTime 7 didn't, on Windows 10. QuickTIme 6 worked on Windows XP. I went digging through some old legacy codec files and came across QuickTime Alternative. Installed it on my Windows 10 machine, and bob's yer uncle, WingNuts is working successfully in Windows 10 with soundtrack.

You're welcome! 😀

Reply 7 of 8, by pseudo3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
russolini77 wrote:
I believe I've just solved this- tested on Windows XP and Windows 10, most likely everything else... […]
Show full quote

I believe I've just solved this- tested on Windows XP and Windows 10, most likely everything else...

So here's the deal. WingNuts Temporal Navigator relied on QuickTime for playing the soundtrack. In Windows XP and after, you don't need QuickTime installed to play the game, but you won't hear music. In Windows 10, maybe before, it just crashes halfway through the loading screen. And even in Windows XP, you wouldn't be able to save a game or register a high score. And it would crash half the time after levels.

So, when I noticed it DID actually have a soundtrack, and from reading the README file it depended on QuickTime, I tried installing QuickTime. Didn't quite work - at least, QuickTime 7 didn't, on Windows 10. QuickTIme 6 worked on Windows XP. I went digging through some old legacy codec files and came across QuickTime Alternative. Installed it on my Windows 10 machine, and bob's yer uncle, WingNuts is working successfully in Windows 10 with soundtrack.

You're welcome! 😀

Awesome! I'll give it a spin tomorrow. Never considered QuickTime would be the problem, as I always played it on a Mac before. 😒