VOGONS

Common searches

Unreal Gold

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay. I can't get Unreal Gold to work well. At all. Software rendering runs fine, but looks like shit (go figure). I'm not even going to try OpenGLide with the Glide renderer, since only god (err, Paul, or Fabio) knows what that might do. Anyway, the Direct3D version just isn't happy. It runs really, really slow (like 5fps -- and I have a GF3Ti500!), has issues changing resolutions and colour modes, won't show decals, won't use an OpenGL renderer, isn't using EAX/surround sound, and is quite honestly pissing the hell out of me. I've tried a bunch of different things -- messing with other versions/copies of the render DLLs, un/reinstalling, rebooting, reinstalling DirectX, reinstalling video drivers, nothing's helped thus far. I'm thinking I might need to use ACT, but I mean, come on! Deus Ex runs fine, and it uses the same (err, heavily modified) engine!! I wish I could find my other copy -- the one that came with my SBLive -- but it appears that that isn't gonna happen anytime...ever. Anyway, does anyone have suggestions to get this bugger working? I feel so cheap... asking for help on my own help forum. *sigh* C'est la vie, I guess. I can't get this thing working. Why not utilise my own resource? 😀

Oh, also, mouse movement is reeeallly choppy when Direct3D mode is used in the GUI. And, uh, did the GUI for UT and the GUI for Unreal always look this similar? (hmm..) And I'm thinking this was an export version, since it has German and International English versions on it. That might just be because I have my system set to "English (United Kingdom)" locale, however that wouldn't explain the special \SYSTEM folder with German localisation files on the CD.

Thanks! (You can find my system specs in about fifty different places, so I won't list them here. In fact, they're the only ones in the system specs forum, so read the much more verbose list there, if you're particularily bored.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 1 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. Install UT
2. Install Update v4.36
3. Install S3TC OGL driver and UT .ini settings
4. Copy MAPS & MUSIC directories from UNREAL into UT directory.
5. Modify the UT.ini to reflect proper settings to run unreal the game.

*#5, I type the above from memory because unfortunately I am at work and do not have the writeup I made describing the proper .ini settings. Anyways to sum it up you can run Unreal using the UT engine (Because it's the same engine) and even get the compressed textures to work! As you can guess Unreal runs MUCH faster. I tried the above with UT2003 but it doesn't work, so someone's gonna have to do some heavy modification to get Unreal to work with UT2003.

Oh, you can find these guides on the net but I just spent 15 frickin minutes with google and couldn't find a single one.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 18, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

5. Modify the UT.ini to reflect proper settings to run unreal the game.

I thought what Unreal Tournament did was allow you to play UT on the original game's maps, not actually allow you to play the whole game. That's great if true, though.

Reply 3 of 18, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snover wrote:

I'm not even going to try OpenGLide with the Glide renderer, since only god (err, Paul, or Fabio) knows what that might do.

And eVoodoo? if the current release doesn't woork, the next one may (cfr the links to RTCW pics in the OpenGlide forum).

Reply 4 of 18, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hrm....
I mean, I've got Unreal Tournament, but from what Nicht says, it doesn't sound like you can actually play through..?

BTW, does anyone know of a patch for Unreal for EAX/A3D (eg. surround sound)?

Oh, and, sorry about the topic, heh... that was a stupid fuckup on my part.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 18, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

I mean, I've got Unreal Tournament, but from what Nicht says, it doesn't sound like you can actually play through..?

Multiplayer should be fine, but I don't know how the single-player element would work. Maybe there's a "script" that both versions of the engine can read.

BTW, does anyone know of a patch for Unreal for EAX/A3D (eg. surround sound)?

Ech. I stumbled across those files all the time while looking for other files. So, of course...now they're gone.

Wanna have some fun? Try finding EAX patches for Unreal, without reading hundreds of pages about EAX patches for Unreal Tournament. I know they're out there...just no idea where (can't believe that they wouldn't stick them on the "Gold" CD).

Reply 6 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHH! Brought in a floppy with me to work but it had bad sectors! Every single file on it is good except for the Unreal file. Tried everything I could think of to recover it too.

Geesh, just do a windiff between the Unreal.ini and the UnrealTournament.ini. Note the differences.
Then copy SYSTEM to another subdir like USYSTEM and copy the new UnrealTournament.ini with the changes into that directory. Then run Unrealtournament.ini. (Reason you make copy of SYSTEM is so you can play oth Unreal & UT without having to switch .INI's all the time).

Reply 7 of 18, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

Geesh, just do a windiff between the Unreal.ini and the UnrealTournament.ini. Note the differences.
Then copy SYSTEM to another subdir like USYSTEM and copy the new UnrealTournament.ini with the changes into that directory. Then run Unrealtournament.ini.

Oh yes. Glaringly obvious. Why we should have know that from birth, we should...

Oh, the shame of not knowing, the embarrassment of not being fully knowledgeable about the layout and structure of UT. We must now hide our faces in public, truly we are not worthy...

Reply 9 of 18, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Nicht..bad day?

No, just my slightly sarcastic response. Any time you start tinkering with .INI files, I believe you've stepped beyond "Geesh".

BTW, I would think UT would be structurally closer to Unreal and be a better candidate for testing. But it's your computer *scribbles note to watch for yet another "Bad Luck" post*

Reply 10 of 18, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh...
None of that now.
None.
No, I'm serious. Fuck it. I'm not going through with it.

Well, I might try swapping in the correct OGL and D3D drivers. (eg. The Ones That Work)

I wonder if, when I put in the EAX/A3D sound engine, it will give me surround sound...hmm...

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 11 of 18, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tried messing around with Unreal.ini. Created an OpenGlDrv.int (using D3DDrv.int and OpenGlDrv.int from Deus Ex as a guide). Worked once, now whenever I try to set OpenGL as the renderer, it craps out. Tried messing with the D3D settings, no luck getting THAT to run any faster. Tried swapping in D3DDrv.dll from Deus Ex...that gave me a dependency error for Engine.dll; swapped in the Engine.dll, THAT gave me a dependency error for Core.dll; swapped in Core.dll, didn't get any DEPENDENCY errors, but it wouldn't run at all. Touched the OpenGlDrv.ini file, change the default entry to what was already in the file for the AGP nVidia RIVA TNT... that didn't work. Too many GPFs or errorless shutdowns. Messed around with the D3D entry in the Unreal.ini, that didn't do anything. 3D hardware sound didn't seem to work, even after I enabled it manually in Unreal.ini, either. ARRGH. Help me out here, guys!! heh

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 12 of 18, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could always run Unreal with the OpenGL patch, couldn't you?
http://www.oldunreal.com/patch.shtml

I dig the new S3TC support.

OldUnreal.com, I love the idea. It's like "This Old House". 😀
http://www.oldunreal.com

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 13 of 18, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yarr, someone sent me an email and I actually went and read at OldUnreal. Followed their S3TC instructions, and ta'da! It works! I just haven't had time to post that here. 😀 Been too busy playing, I guess. That or working on this, heh

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 14 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, but running Unreal with S3TC is not the same as running Unreal with ALL of the updated Unreal files....

1. Install Unreal Tournament
2. Install Compressed Textures
3. Update Unreal Tournament to latest update.
4. Install LOKI OpenGL driver and update UnrealTournament.ini with appropriate S3TC lines.
5. Copy the all of the files in the MAPS and MUSIC directories from the Unreal CD to the MAPS and MUSIC directories in your Unreal Tournament directory.
6. Make a copy of the system directory in your Unreal Tournament directory and call it USYSTEM.

7. Now there are 3 different customizations that you can perform with Unreal 1.
1. Classic Unreal
2. Unreal with UT Console
3. UT on Unreal

Edit the UnrealTournament.ini in the USYSTEM directory and change the values to these values:
(The values below do not reflect their actual positions in the .ini)

1. Classic Unreal

[URL]
LocalMap=unreal.unr

[Engine.Engine]
Console=Engine.Console
DefaultGame=UnrealI.SinglePlayer

[Core.System]
Paths=../USystem/*.u
Paths=../UMaps/*.unr
Paths=../UMusic/*.umx

2. Unreal with UT console (HUD, weapons as in U, but console from UT)

[URL]
LocalMap=unreal.unr

[Engine.Engine]
DefaultGame=UnrealI.SinglePlayer

[Core.System]
Paths=../USystem/*.u
Paths=../UMaps/*.unr
Paths=../UMusic/*.umx

3. UT on Unreal (Unreal with all devices from UT (console, weapons, options - all from UT) from Unreal only maps and Monsters

[URL]
LocalMap=unreal.unr

[Core.System]
Paths=../USystem/*.u
Paths=../UMaps/*.unr
Paths=../UMusic/*.umx

[Botpack.DeathMatchPlus]
bUseTranslocator=True
FragLimit=0
TimeLimit=0
InitialBots=0
bNoMonsters=False
bHumansOnly=False

[Engine.GameInfo]
bNoCheating=False
bNoMonsters=False
bHumansOnly=False

[Botpack.UTIntro]
bNoMonsters=False
bHumansOnly=False

[UnrealI.Intro]
bNoMonsters=False
bHumansOnly=False

[UnrealShare.SinglePlayer]
bNoMonsters=False
bNoCheating=False
bHumansOnly=False

[UnrealShare.DeathMatchGame]
FragLimit=0
TimeLimit=0
bMultiPlayerBots=False
bChangeLevels=True
InitialBots=0

Cheat Codes

To use specified below command, write in consoles "iamtheone" -> ENTER (before 413 patch). Hereinafter possible simply press TAB (in versions 413 starts to quick console possible to bind on any other free button in bookmark controls) and write the necessary command:

ALLAMMO - 999 ammunitions for the whole weapon.
LOADED - gives you every weapon
GOD - simply God.
FLY - fly everywhere.
WALK - disconnects FLY and GHOST.
GHOST - become the ghost (noclip through walls).
KILLALL - kill all personages, on choice: nali, skaarjwarrior and etc.
PLAYERSONLY - stop time.. (On/off)
OPEN name of the map - move over to specified card.
ADDBOTS number - add bots to the level
BEHINDVIEW 1 - Third-person view.
BEHINDVIEW 0 - First-person view.
Mutate TossRelic - throw the relic

SUMMON item name}

WarHeadLauncher
Enforcer
DoubleEnforcer
Minigun2
PulseGun
ShockRifle
SniperRifle
UT_BioRifle
UT_Eightball
UT_FlackCannon
Chainsaw
Dispersionpistol
Stinger
Automag
Asmd
Clip
Rifleround
Flakshellammo
Defaultammo
Chainsaw
Rifle
Razorjack
Gesbiorifle
Minigun
Flakcannon

SUMMON UNREALI.opponentname }

warlord
titan
stone
titan
squid
slith
skaarj
skaarjwarrior
skaarjscout
skaarjlord
skaarjberserker
skaarjassassin
iceskaarj
skaarjtrooper
skaarjsniper
skaarjofficer
skaarjinfantry
skaarjgunner
queen
pupae
nali
nalipriest
mercenary
mercenaryelite
manta
giantmanta
cavemanta
krall
lesserkrall
krallelite
gasbag
giantgasbag
fly
devilfish
cow
babycow
tentacle
brute
lesserbrute
behemoth
bots
skaarjplayerbot
humanbot
malebot
maletwobot
malethreebot
maleonebot
femalebot
femaletwobot
femaleonebot
nalirabit
horsefly
blobelt
biterfish
bird1
parentblob
horseflyswarm
deadbodyswarm
biterfishschool

If something be not got, open unrealtournament.ini and in section Engine.GameInfo change importance bNoCheating with True on False (in the general-that hereon change will fall off need to enter the command IAmTheOne)

[Engine.GameInfo]
bNoCheating=False

How to record a demo:

Type these in the console:

demorec filename - record demo with the current place, filename - any, without extension.
demoplay filename - play demo, filename - a name demo (copy the someone else demo in your UnrealTournament/System directory absolutely not without fall - it is enough on place of the name demo to indicate its full address, for instance: demoplay c:\windows\temp\meat.dem) - an extension to write not without fall.
stopdemo - stop demo-record

Reply 16 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

huh? You were trying to get Unreal Gold to as you stated in your first post "well". I posted how to get the game to work better than "well". Therefore my post applies.

Suck it up! 😜