VOGONS

Common searches


Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2

Topic actions

First post, by FabioB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Hi,
I managed to run the game in a window with Dxwnd (setting Directx 8 hook) but the overall gameplay is slow, choppy e with texture problems. The textures flickers, but if I set "Special Effects" setting a step back from the maximum fixes it completely. The game remains definetely not smooth, not think my hardware can't manage a 2002 game.
The game seams not save my settings too.

My specs:
Windows 8.1 x64
Intel I5-4200U 2.3 Ghz
6 GB RAM
Intel HD 4400/R7 m265
Latest drivers.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance 😉

Attachments

  • Immagine.png
    Filename
    Immagine.png
    File size
    828.44 KiB
    Views
    2830 views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 24, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Confirming what Davros said, the game runs fine and smoothly for me without any tweaks or wrappers. This is on Windows 10 x64. Using dgVoodoo makes it even better, fixing a texture issue and allowing high resolution, AA and AF. I'm not sure why neither works for you, FabioB, unless you're doing something that you shouldn't. Speaking of which, why are you slowing down your CPU in DxWnd if you're complaining about the game not being smooth?

Reply 6 of 24, by FabioB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Osprey wrote:

Confirming what Davros said, the game runs fine and smoothly for me without any tweaks or wrappers. This is on Windows 10 x64. Using dgVoodoo makes it even better, fixing a texture issue and allowing high resolution, AA and AF. I'm not sure why neither works for you, FabioB, unless you're doing something that you shouldn't. Speaking of which, why are you slowing down your CPU in DxWnd if you're complaining about the game not being smooth?

I think the game's internal timing is not compatible with modern CPUs , maybe for the higher clock, thus the game runs at times smoothly, at times choppy.
Slowdown CPU with DxWnd doesn't work, however.
The game runs perfect with dgVoodoo graphical wise, but it remains slightly "stuttery", just not smooth.

Reply 8 of 24, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think what FabioB is referring to is the frame jitter in the game. You notice it especially when taking turns. While taking a turn look at the landscape going by and you will notice it has slight stutter. Vsync does help a bit. I really think it is a game engine issue and no amount of hardware and 3D settings is going to get rid of it completely. It's smooth enough IMO.

I don't own the game anymore, but Archive.org has the demo which displays the same issue.

https://archive.org/details/nfshotpurs2

(っ•́。•́)♪♬

Reply 9 of 24, by FabioB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
liqmat wrote:

I think what FabioB is referring to is the frame jitter in the game. You notice it especially when taking turns. While taking a turn look at the landscape going by and you will notice it has slight stutter. Vsync does help a bit. I really think it is a game engine issue and no amount of hardware and 3D settings is going to get rid of it completely. It's smooth enough IMO.

I don't own the game anymore, but Archive.org has the demo which displays the same issue.

https://archive.org/details/nfshotpurs2

Yes, you're right.
The game runs extremely choppy when pausing the game during a race, too.
The camera that turn around the car is very, very choppy just like happens with very low framerates.
I guess the game can runs perfect or very bad depending on the rigs.

Reply 10 of 24, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
FabioB wrote:
Yes, you're right. The game runs extremely choppy when pausing the game during a race, too. The camera that turn around the car […]
Show full quote

Yes, you're right.
The game runs extremely choppy when pausing the game during a race, too.
The camera that turn around the car is very, very choppy just like happens with very low framerates.
I guess the game can runs perfect or very bad depending on the rigs.

That's not happening for me when I pause the game. The camera circles the car smoothly. I just tested with dgVoodoo 2. Make sure that that's the only tweak that you're using. Also, be sure to copy dgVoodoo 2's D3D8.dll, since it fixes an issue with the cars appearing light grey.

Last edited by Osprey on 2017-09-02, 22:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 24, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Osprey wrote:
FabioB wrote:
Yes, you're right. The game runs extremely choppy when pausing the game during a race, too. The camera that turn around the car […]
Show full quote

Yes, you're right.
The game runs extremely choppy when pausing the game during a race, too.
The camera that turn around the car is very, very choppy just like happens with very low framerates.
I guess the game can runs perfect or very bad depending on the rigs.

That's not happening for me when I pause the game. The camera circles the car smoothly. I just tested with dgVoodoo 2. Make sure that that's the only tweak that you're using.

Yes. Same here. Very smooth on my laptop which is over 5 years old with a 670M. Are you sure the game is not using your Intel HD 4400 rather than your R7 m265? When I say the game has jitter I am talking ever so slightly and not what you describe which sounds dramatic.

(っ•́。•́)♪♬

Reply 12 of 24, by FabioB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Osprey wrote:
FabioB wrote:
Yes, you're right. The game runs extremely choppy when pausing the game during a race, too. The camera that turn around the car […]
Show full quote

Yes, you're right.
The game runs extremely choppy when pausing the game during a race, too.
The camera that turn around the car is very, very choppy just like happens with very low framerates.
I guess the game can runs perfect or very bad depending on the rigs.

That's not happening for me when I pause the game. The camera circles the car smoothly. I just tested with dgVoodoo 2. Make sure that that's the only tweak that you're using.

What files to put in game's directory?

Reply 13 of 24, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
FabioB wrote:

What files to put in game's directory?

From the dgVoodoo 2 distribution, copy dgVoodooCpl.exe to the game folder and then copy all of the files in the \MS folder to the game folder, as well. Run dgVoodooCpl.exe, then, at the top, press the "[.\]" button to set the game folder as dgVoodoo's config folder. Next, go to the DirectX tab and de-select "dgVoodoo Watermark" at the bottom, then ensure that "dgVoodoo Virtual 3D Accelerated card" is selected above and click OK. Double-click on NFSHP2.EXE to start the game, but do not have DxWnd running when you do.

Reply 14 of 24, by XTac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I don't have any issues running this game natively (without wrappers) on modern hardware. And the game doesn't look anywhere close to your screenshot. Something is very weird.

The "frame jitter" when taking turns seems to be the game problem. The car handling is very unresponsive with the "behind car" camera view. Try switching to bumper camera and you will notice that the car handles much better. It is a problem that even reviewers were complaining about, back when the game was released.

I did, however apply some tweaks to the game.

1. Moved following folders from the disc to the game directory, (because the installer doesn't copy majority of the content onto the drive, so it ends up reading from the disc all the time - causing long load times and other bad stuff):
* Actors
* AI
* Audio
* Cars
* Movies
* Particle
* Tracks

2. Patched the game to version 242.
3. Used a No-CD "Vitamin" so I don't ruin the disc.
4. Changed the resolution in the .ini and used "Old Games Widescreen Patch" to get the correct aspect ratio.

You can try doing that, maybe that will solve your problem...

Last edited by XTac on 2017-09-03, 14:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 24, by FabioB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

My game is already patched to 242 end I use a crack for preserve the disc.
I don't use any widesceen patches because so it feels like I played years ago 😉

On my rig, the game renders the white-texture flickering problem only when the setting in graphic options "Special Effects" is set to max (and it is the default setting for me).
If I set it a step back the problem is gone. However, the game remains unplayable due to a his awful performance.
With dgVoodoo I fixed completely the problem.

I started to thing that my enduro laptop (Intel/AMD) is the source to this problem.
I play the game with my dedicated card, but however, all the datas that come from the dedicated card pass through the integrated due to the fact that is the only connected at the LCD panel.

It may produce most bugs.
I recall Far Cry 3 and 4 with a weird rectangle shader bug, for example.
Or Mafia 2 shadow bug that covered the screen.

Search the internet with users with these problems.