VOGONS

Common searches

Z Windows 10 Bitmap Bros

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by tangodownNZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have got Zod Engine to run Z now, which is great.

However, when I input my IP address into connect address under connection settings the game won't load past the 100% loading screen. It freezes along with the mouse. So I need to force quit the program. Then when I remove the IP address the game boots again.

If somebody has the local multiplayer working can they please explain the setting they are using.

Reply 21 of 26, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First, you need to start the server, as I've already mentioned that means starting the game not typing in an IP address. Then the client needs to join, by starting the game with the IP address of the server. If that doesn't work, troubleshoot network.

There aren't any special settings you're missing; you're doing something wrong.

Reply 22 of 26, by tangodownNZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2021-07-23, 14:54:

First, you need to start the server, as I've already mentioned that means starting the game not typing in an IP address. Then the client needs to join, by starting the game with the IP address of the server. If that doesn't work, troubleshoot network.

There aren't any special settings you're missing; you're doing something wrong.

Thanks for getting back.

I thought you only needed to access the server if you wanted to play people outside of your LAN. Surely if you want to play somebody on your same network, so using the same router you should be able to use the ip addresses and ports on your local network.
So technically we should be able to play multiplayer by connecting computers via ethernet cables with no internet. I thought thats why we have the option of "Local game" and "Nighsoft Server" right?

Also, I just tried to activate my subscription but the nighsoft website comes up with a fatal error when I try to proceed. And Mike from nighsoft doesn't respond to emails. I'm not sure if he is still maintaining his website or if he is still around. So what do we do then?

Warning: include(linkpoint/lphp.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/localhost/htdocs/zod_content/zod_activate.php on line 259

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'linkpoint/lphp.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php5:/usr/share/php') in /var/www/localhost/htdocs/zod_content/zod_activate.php on line 259

Fatal error: Class 'lphp' not found in /var/www/localhost/htdocs/zod_content/zod_activate.php on line 261

Reply 23 of 26, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What? Try to read what I wrote.

You start a local game without connecting to a server and without specifying a IP address. When you do that, the game instance you start becomes a server.

Then the other players (clients) connect to the IP address of the server you started.

Reply 24 of 26, by tangodownNZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2021-07-24, 08:31:

What? Try to read what I wrote.

You start a local game without connecting to a server and without specifying a IP address. When you do that, the game instance you start becomes a server.

Then the other players (clients) connect to the IP address of the server you started.

Ok, thanks.

So I don't need to connect to the internet to play a local LAN game right? Can I just play my friends over our LAN without connecting to the nighsoft server? I think I should just be able to plug an ethernet cable in to both computers and play multiplayer without any internet. Is this possible. Please just forget about everything else and just answer this question.

Reply 25 of 26, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes.

Though if you're directly connecting two computers with a cable, you need to manually set IP addresses and subnet masks for both computers.

If you're connecting via a router, then you just need to make sure firewall exceptions are made (which you need to do anyway).

Reply 26 of 26, by 0L0ID

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tango,

I realize this is months too late, but having just achieved exactly what you're trying to do, I wanted to share - basically a much much much more detailed step-by-step to what ZellSF was trying to get across.

IF you have a router at home, this is the process:

1. in windows go to command prompt, type ipconfig and hit enter. Write down your subnet mask. should be 192.168.1.1 or something like that.
2. open a browser and type in //192.168.1.1 (or whatever number from step 1 above). This will take you to your router terminal. Use your own login that you made, or if you haven't, check the underside of the actual router - there is usually a default one printed there .
3. once you're logged in, go into a separate browser window and look up how to assign 'port forwarding' in your specific router model.
4. once you know how to do that, follow the process to forward ports 8000-8009. Now, If the menu asks you for am 'internal IP address' - this is where YOUR FRIEND'S laptop's IP address goes. Assuming your friend is hanging out in the same room. No need for a lan cable here. Just ask him/her to do step 1 ^^, but instead of the subnet mask, ask for the IPv4 address. it will be 192.168.1.#. the # is the only thing on his end that will be different from your own IPv4 address on your pc.
5. so THAT is the IP address you'll punch into your router's menu as 'internal IP address' for port forwarding.
6. save router settings, whatever is the button for that - usually just says 'create rule' or 'ok'.
7. restart your computer

Your port is now forwarded. Now the game part.
1. Fire up ZOD Engine on your computer. You will be the host
2. Nothing in Connect Address
3. under Map Filename - I haven't figured out how to do map rotation so for now the only thing that has worked is actually entering a map name. Which name? Go to your ZOD Engine folder, and look at all the .map files. Just pick one. these are mostly levels from the 1996 release.
4. Uncheck all AI players
5. UNder Engine Settings on the right - put in your credentials - player name, login, password.
6. IMPORTANT - choose either RED or BLUE for yourself. Your friend will be the other. Unless you're playing a 4 player map, the two teams MUST be the default colors.
7. Windowed, resolution, bla bla - that's up to you.
8. LAUNCH ZOD ENGINE

Now your friend will need to connect:
9. He needs to run ZOD Engine too
10. under Connect address - YOUR IP address - find yours much like your friend did in step 4. it'll have a different last number from his.
11. Don't click Local, Don't click Dedicated, uncheck AI players - AND PICK A BLUE/RED TEAM. opposite from yours.
12. His credentials under Engine Settings - I'm assuming both of you guys made Logins already, so player/login/password
13. LAUNCH ZOD ENGINE

After his game launches, you're good to go. You can literally hit the yellow MENU button on the lower right, go to Player List, and will see each other's names.

Perhaps I wouldn't have posted this had my wife not just come down with Covid. So we're stuck at home yet we have to keep a distance from one another. As you can imagine the situation doesn't yield itself to a lot of bonding activities besides trying to play games over LAN.

So I had no choice but to figure out how to do this.
Good luck 😉

0l0id