VOGONS

Common searches

Cold Shadow Error

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When I start Cold Shadow, I get these two errors: Unable to link to KERNEL32.DLL. Error 2 is The application failed to intialize properly (0xc0000142). Click OK to terminate the application.

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 running on Windows XP.

I also tried compatitbilly mode, It still does not work!

When I ran the game on the very old Windows 95 Machine, It worked fine. But I don't have the very old Windows 95 Machine anymore!
Is there any way to work this game? I have the kernel32.dll file on system32 directory of windows XP. Why is it unable to link to it if the file is already on the system? Man, this is crazy!

Reply 1 of 16, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Your taking this as a a joke! I really need help to get this game to work on my pc! I would like to relax and play but this stupid stubborn error is keeping me from playing! PLEASE, PLEASE help me out! I already gave my error messages and the computer it worked at that I don't have anymore. What other details do you want? I really want help!

Reply 2 of 16, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Whats up with this?! I really need help. I want to get this game working!
I explained the entire problem, I searched google.com for the error I had and I found horrible results!! 😠 😠 What is this, a humongus joke?! Well Its not! Vogons is not a place to joke! Vogons is a place for assistance! Is there ANY other details I need to give besides the problem and the operating systems?? Please let me know if you need more details about the problem.

Reply 3 of 16, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Have you ever thought about possiblity that people are not answering because they do not know any solution? There is no point in saying "Oh, what a nasty error !!! Sorry, I have no idea what to do ...". Or would you be happier if people did that?

Mirek

Reply 5 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you'd better do it the other way around (first 95 then xp)

I you search this forum I think you will find quite some documentation on the matter.

You must just becarefull for your bootloader and I think you have to do some work to get win95 added to it.

I'm pretty sure it's been discussed here a few times. (look for posts from nightsehrgood)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 16, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, this is completely hopeless... The game I'm trying to work is the Cold Shadow power play. Believe it or not, power play games are one of the hardest to work if trying to play above Windows 95. The game is so stubborn that even compatbillity mode will not work 😵
I also tried Toy Story on my new pc and the same unable to link to KERNEL32.DLL appears on my computer. It worked with no errors on Windows 95. Anyway, here is a picture of exactly what I'm trying to work... Is there anything else I can do about this stubborn thing I tried to work for a week?

Attachments

• Filename
    Cold Shadow.jpg
    File size
    364.71 KiB
    Downloads
    197 downloads
    File comment
    This is the CD case of the game I'm trying to work...
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 16, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, even though I have it for SNES, I would still like to get the PC version working. Unfortunately I think it would be risky to install Windows 95 on my newest computer. I contacted Disney Interactive's useless technical support saying that I got these errors................
And the reply said that it is not compatibile with Windows XP. Thats all they said. NO help. Nothing. Is there any emulator that emulates Windows 95 on my Windows XP computer or is there a way to install Windows 95 on my newest computer without troubles after installation??????????? I would like to know.

Reply 12 of 16, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a 😠 BIG 😠 dissapointment! I waited almost 2 months, NOTHING.
Here is the specs
Celeron class 2.40 GHZ processor
256 MB RAM
Windows XP Service pack 2

Error message I get when I start the game...
Unable to link to KERNEL32.DLL!
The application failed to intialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application.

Is there 😠 ANY 😠 solution to this problem already?!

Reply 13 of 16, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

THIS IS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm tired of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
😠 😠 😠
I waited, waited waited, waited waited, waited waited, waited waited, waited waited, waited waited, waited waited, waited, waited, waited, waited, waited, waited,, waited waited, waited, waited, waited ,waited, waited, waited, waited waited, and waited
still no reply about this problem. I described the specs, the message,
and I still get nothing. I can tell that it takes heck just to get a thing working...
SPECS (Once again)
Celeron class 2.40 GHZ processor
256 MB RAM
Windows XP Service pack 2

Error message I get when I start the game...
Unable to link to KERNEL32.DLL!
The application failed to intialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application.

IS there ANY more information I need to provide for this problem??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Reply 14 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not too familiar with those games but you may want to try Microsoft/Connectix Virtual PC and/or Vmware.

If those don't work then a Windows 98SE/Windows XP dual-boot would work.

The problem with your games is that they are looking for functions in kernel32.dll that are no longer there since the games are looking for an older ver of kernel32.dll. If compatibility mode doesn't work then the above solutions are your only solutions.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 16, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

But sadly, I have to register to download Vmware.
I don't even know which evaluation download I should pick.
I don't think Microsoft Virtual PC is a good idea because during the installation process, it said that the software is not compatible with my operating system.
My operating system is Windows XP Home Edition, and it requires
Windows XP Professional.
I don't know how I can install another operating sysstem and dual boot without having my data erased or problems.
So obiously, I'M DOOMED. WELL, IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE LEFT OR THATS IT????

Reply 16 of 16, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just don't know what to do anymore................................. although I do have an old computer that used to have Windows 2000, but then I changed the hard drive, and that hard drive has Windows 95.
But the old computer will not boot-up correctly. 😵 😵 😵 😵 😵 😵 😵 😵
I did saw the motherboard startup screen and it dectected the hard drive properly, but it said (WAIT....) and the old computer did nothing. Is there a solution to that problem?
Should I take my old computer to a computer shop, or there is a alternate solution to this problem?