Common searches

MiG Alley

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 114, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First pass with the new ddraw and I'm dumped to a 640 desktop shortly after clicking the game shortcut adter a number of tries.
W10/GTX 1060/MIG ver 123
I'll try compatibility modes per above suggestions.

Reply 21 of 114, by Narzoul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you have G-Sync enabled by chance? I've had reports that it causes crashes with DDrawCompat, probably related to full-screen exclusive mode (I couldn't get a confirmation yet).

If that's not the issue, please share your DDrawCompat-Mig.log file. If that doesn't show anything interesting either, I might need debug logs instead. You can use the "ReleaseWithDebugLogs" build for that, from the ddraw-debug.zip attached to the experimental release on GitHub.

Reply 22 of 114, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Progress! I re-started with a clean copy of my v123 test install and with W8/Admin compatility settings the game boot and flies. Same tearing on cockpit, but overall performance seems noticably better even at 1600 than before. I currently have nVidia scaling at GPU override/fullscreen (for other legacy games) so it's running even under non-vanila scaling.

Joystick funtions normal now - big issue with the Daum setup before...

Is "G-Sync" an in-game feature or nVidia? I didn't check that yet.

Thanks by the way!

Last edited by tincup on 2020-06-04, 23:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23 of 114, by Narzoul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the feedback! At least now I know the performance fixes are ok on Nvidia also. Too bad about the cockpit issue. Since I can't reproduce it, I probably won't be able to fix it, but we'll see...

G-Sync is Nvidia's variable refresh rate technology, which requires a compatible monitor also. If you don't know about it (and since the game doesn't crash) you probably don't have it.

Reply 24 of 114, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Narzoul wrote on 2020-06-04, 20:48:

Thanks for the feedback! At least now I know the performance fixes are ok on Nvidia also. Too bad about the cockpit issue. Since I can't reproduce it, I probably won't be able to fix it, but we'll see...

G-Sync is Nvidia's variable refresh rate technology, which requires a compatible monitor also. If you don't know about it (and since the game doesn't crash) you probably don't have it.

I messed up my install testing stuff out so re-built (again). It works with the v123 patch, but no luck with BDG 85f. Also had to rediscover it only runs by clicking a shorcut and not clicking on the MA exe even if set to compatibilty mode - get the resolution error otherwise. But back up and working - looks great!

Reply 25 of 114, by Narzoul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Could anyone who has the Nvidia cockpit transparency issue upload the debug logs for me? To keep the log size to a minimum, please keep the test as short as possible. Just enter a quick mission, have the cockpit show up, and immediately exit the mission and the game.

Reply 26 of 114, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Narzoul wrote on 2020-06-04, 23:13:

Could anyone who has the Nvidia cockpit transparency issue upload the debug logs for me? To keep the log size to a minimum, please keep the test as short as possible. Just enter a quick mission, have the cockpit show up, and immediately exit the mission and the game.

how do you find/make the debug files?

Reply 27 of 114, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This ddraw log file?

W10/GTX 1060/MIG v123

Attachments

Reply 29 of 114, by Narzoul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tincup wrote on 2020-06-05, 01:09:

This ddraw log file?

W10/GTX 1060/MIG v123

That's the correct file, but you need to use the ReleaseWithDebugLogs build of DDrawCompat instead. You can find it in ddraw-debug.zip under the experimental release on GitHub. Switch back to the original Release version after you're done.

Agathosdaimon wrote on 2020-06-05, 06:12:

i checked mine and i dont have any transparent/missing texture stuff going on

I know you wrote you have a laptop with Geforce GTX 860M, but it's possible that it uses Optimus technology and also has an integrated Intel GPU. In that case, the game is most likely actually using the Intel GPU. You can check this from your log file too (no need for the debug version). Look for the line that says "Hooking user mode display driver". For Intel drivers, it's usually igdumdim32.dll. For Nvidia, I think it at least begins with "nv". According to Nvidia support, there is no way to use the Nvidia GPU on such systems for DirectX 8 and older APIs.

Reply 30 of 114, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi Narzoul - you are absolutely right! it is that igdumdim32.dll file . here i was thinkig my laptop was only usign the nvidia gpu as i had se the nvidia gpu as the global one to use. I do have the intel card and had mistakenly thought it was not necessary as when i swithced to nvidia as the primary card i was not having any issue with the many old games i have - well now i guess it was the intel gpu that was helping me the whole time! (lol that almost makes the intel card sound like jesus in one of those modern parables)

maybe for those withouth such an intel card, using dgvoodoo could be the way to emulate an older card whihc might fix the graphical glitches? sorry i forget if that was tried already

Reply 31 of 114, by witchywoman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a problem ,

game is running fine for me on windows 10. My problem is that wihout the bdg patch, I cannot use a joystick and if you do use bdg then the game will not boot. We could really use a fix for the bdg patch so it would work as it fixes the joystick issues or a joystick fix on stock 1.23 without having to use some 3rd party joystick emulator. Any ideas?

Reply 32 of 114, by cambeiu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been able to run Mig Alley PERFECTLY on PCEM v17. Host computer has a AMD Ryzen 3600 and an Nvidia 1660Ti. I configured the PCEM system as follows:

Windows 98
Voodoo 3 video card
AMD K6-2 300 CPU
32GB of RAM
DirectX 7 installed

The game ran at 100% speed at 1280X960 resolution on all settings on max. Smooth as butter. Sound is perfect and no visual glitches at all. It is like running on real hardware.

Reply 33 of 114, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cambeiu wrote on 2020-12-05, 04:24:
I have been able to run Mig Alley PERFECTLY on PCEM v17. Host computer has a AMD Ryzen 3600 and an Nvidia 1660Ti. I configured t […]
Show full quote

I have been able to run Mig Alley PERFECTLY on PCEM v17. Host computer has a AMD Ryzen 3600 and an Nvidia 1660Ti. I configured the PCEM system as follows:

Windows 98
Voodoo 3 video card
AMD K6-2 300 CPU
32GB of RAM
DirectX 7 installed

The game ran at 100% speed at 1280X960 resolution on all settings on max. Smooth as butter. Sound is perfect and no visual glitches at all. It is like running on real hardware.

this setup sounds great, i would love to know how to get a PCEM setup like this because it would probably work wonders with running Janes F/A-18 Hornet and iF-22. Would it be possible for someone like myself who is not really familar with PCEM to create this setup also - is there a guide somewhere, or a pre-built setup?

Reply 35 of 114, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thanks tell me is it possible with PCEM to emulate pentium 266mhz system at the least? i read another tutorial that indicated only 166mhz was possible. I think the most frustrating part is actually knowing what files i need to gather up beforehand, as no one will tell you and rather just saw to get the drivers or the roms and i dont know what or where to look for these

Reply 36 of 114, by cambeiu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have not tried Pentium. I am using my Ryzen 3600 to emulate the K6-2 300 and a Voodoo 3 card. All flights sims and games that I have thrown at it (F-22 ADF, Jane's F-15, Mig Alley, European Air War, Heavy Gear 2) have worked flawlessly at full speed with everything maxed out.

Reply 38 of 114, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I may havet to give PCEM a try given the success with MA. The installation proceedure was daunting which is why I shied away in the past. But that makes me laugh given all the hours spent installing and tweaking real W95/98 retro installs over the years...

Reply 39 of 114, by captain_koloth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cambeiu wrote on 2020-12-05, 09:08:

I have not tried Pentium. I am using my Ryzen 3600 to emulate the K6-2 300 and a Voodoo 3 card. All flights sims and games that I have thrown at it (F-22 ADF, Jane's F-15, Mig Alley, European Air War, Heavy Gear 2) have worked flawlessly at full speed with everything maxed out.

What do you consider to be "100% speed"? I'm getting terrible framerates with an i7-10700 and RTX 3080.