VOGONS

First post, by kainiakaria

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

These ISO files contain the essential updates in order to get Windows 2000, Windows XP (x86 and x64) and Windows Vista (x86 and x64) to either properly update or at best be able to install things such as drivers for things like video cards. This also contains updates for Windows 95, Wndows NT 4.0, Windows 98SE and Windows ME. This will also contain the February 2004 Security Update Disc as an additional download. I have also added additional stuff as well as reorganized a few updates. I have also reorganized my Windows NT 4.0 updates. I have included Post Service Pack 4 updates for Windows 2000 as well as Post Service Pack 3 updates for Windows XP (32 Bit). I have included older Service Pack updates for Windows XP (32 Bit). I have also included an archive of Windows Media Player related materials. I now have finally included the Windows Movie Maker update and Windows Automatic Updating for Windows ME. I have stopped supporting Windows Vista in favor of Windows XP.

Reply 1 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC, these contain updates not released by Microsoft to the public and required support agreements. If I'm wrong then feel free to prove it but I've removed the link to the Internet Archive where they are available to download for now.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Meh, a fully updated legacy OS is still full of security holes, Save the bloat and just upgrade the minimum needed for drivers etc.
I get some people like running the latest possible, personally I like the latest service pack and IE version, but just as long as its not really required.

Reply 4 of 8, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

IIRC, these contain updates not released by Microsoft to the public and required support agreements. If I'm wrong then feel free to prove it but I've removed the link to the Internet Archive where they are available to download for now.

Isn't anything pre-XP considered abandonware at this this point, so it should be legal to share the updates? And the Windows XP and -Vista updates can still be downloaded via WSUS Offline v9.2.1 😀

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 5 of 8, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Strahssis wrote:
DosFreak wrote:

Isn't anything pre-XP considered abandonware at this this point, so it should be legal to share the updates? And the Windows XP and -Vista updates can still be downloaded via WSUS Offline v9.2.1 😀

This site doesn't believe in abandonware for good reasons (didn't you notice the disclaimer at the bottom of the page?). As long as the updates are 100% free and contain no hidden warez, I don't see a problem with them. I'm not a moderator so IDK for sure.

From what I could gather, the ISOs the OP attempted to share contained unreleased (to the general public) updates and possibly some hidden "warez" software (i.e. fully registered copies of paid software for free).

Reply 6 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I may be wrong about the updates being included but there is definetly warez in there which is ridiculous since if it was necessary to include those programs for some reason they could have used free programs instead.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 8, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Huh, I only grabbed the CDROM sized image from there when it was linked on the PCem forum, and never inspected its contents, so I was unaware it was an unofficial resource with pirated software bundled. Pity there are updates that required a support agreement, but I guess, how else is a publisher supposed to milk money out of stragglers stuck on older releases?

Reply 8 of 8, by kainiakaria

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

IIRC those 'updates' also bundled some warez like a full WinRAR etc. It's the kind of "expert" bundle you'd find on blindly managed warez sites.

Those are not full versions of Winrar though.