VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm running Windows 10 Home v1809 on an Optimus laptop (NVIDIA 1060 6GB + Intel UHD 630, both with the absolute latest drivers), and have been noticing a strange anomaly on certain OpenAL-based games, namely Alcarys Complex and A Good Snowman Is Hard To Build. Specifically, despite having sound effects, music, etc., they will not produce any audio - they don't even show up under the Windows Mixer - and do not output any errors either to the Windows Event Log or their respective game folders. Putting the latest version of 32-bit OpenAL-Soft into the WOW64 folder and the game's actual folders (both games are 32-bit) hasn't rectified anything, either.

Any assistance on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Reply 2 of 3, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

If the demo version of Alcarys Complex is any indication (and since it has the same version number as the full version it probably is) then sound works properly under Win10 v1809.

Tried the trial myself, same issue.

Reply 3 of 3, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, the problem is specific to your computer and it's not related to any of the factors you listed.

There is a very small chance that someone else has run into the same issue, but personally I would consider it unlikely and would just reinstall Windows.

Audio drivers could potentially be a problem so maybe try an external USB sound card and see if that works.