VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TheMLGladiator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I own Warcraft III and the Frozen Throne expansion pack. I am aware that the latest patch of the game does not support Windows XP, and trying to update using battle.net in-game does not work. Because of this, am I better off running Warcraft III in Windows 10, or are there any benefits to running it on an older patch on my XP machine. I do not currently intend to do multiplayer, but that may change.

EDIT: Just going to run Warcraft III in Windows 10. Less hassle with discs, online play, and latest patches.

Last edited by TheMLGladiator on 2019-02-05, 21:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 3, by TheMLGladiator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

The last patch has widescreen support so if you have a widescreen LCD, you would want that.

My Windows XP PC is hooked up to a CRT, but my Windows 10 PC is widescreen.

Reply 3 of 3, by SmokyWhisky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The new versions don't have (working) OpenGL support anymore. -graphicsapi OpenGL2 just gives a black screen (game still runs in background though) and -graphicsapi OpenGL4 crashes on startup. This wouldn't be a problem for people other than Wine users except that the game has always had slight mouse lag when running in Direct3D mode. (and no, it isn't possible to fix this by forcing vsync off)

Still, I'd probably try to live with it for the widescreen support, and it's been a few months now since I last tried the game so it's always possible they have finally fixed the problem in D3D mode. If not, hopefully they do it eventually.

(I'd also love to have OpenGL support back because I prefer using Linux to submitting to Win10 and D3D9 in Wine sucks as in it's really slow, at least on Nvidia where it's not possible to use Gallium9, but that will probably never happen. They probably won't update it to support D3D11, which would allow using DXVK with Wine, any time soon either...)