VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by StroggVorbis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

I've searched the internet high and low and was surprised to not finding an answer to my problem anywhere, not even a single mention of this game here, so that's why I'm creating this topic. I'm on Windows 7 x64 and this game won't run for me. To be precise: the v1.0 release does run, but with no/bugged sound unless you set the sound quality to low. Installing the v1.01 or v1.02 patch however, makes the game refuse to run, stating it requires either Win 95, 98, Me or XP. I tried all possible compatibility options to no avail. PCGW (PC Gaming Wiki) had no mention of this problem. I tried various fixes and cracks from GameCopyWorld, but none of them worked. Has anyone else had this problem? Does it run on Windows 8.1 or 10? I only want to try a VM as last resort, or maybe installing XP on another partition.

Thx in advance

Reply 3 of 4, by StroggVorbis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I did try to run SFUPDATE as stated. Emphasis on try, it reported nothing is to be updated. And with either the 1.1 or 1.2 patch if you try to run the game with or without crack or CD, a window pops up that the game requires either Win 95, 98, Me, XP or Server 2003. I don't have a Win 8.1 or 10 machine to test, just Win 7. I really do not want to play the unpatched 1.0 release, even if it means to use something akin to VirtualBox with the reduced performance emulation brings.

Reply 4 of 4, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I'm not mistaken, the window popup you're talking about is most likely StarForce. If updating StarForce doesn't work (I don't have any Windows 7 setup, so I have no ability to test), maybe try running SF Helper:
http://www.star-force.com/support/sfhelper/

Otherwise your only option looks to be buying it from the publisher's web site:
https://store.bistudio.com/products/shade-wrath-of-angels
Which shouldn't use StarForce according to PCGW (not spending 7$ to test myself).

Alternatively, you can try to find a working cracked version of 1.2. We can't help you with that here.