VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MasterfulDark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Howdy fellas, you know 3d gamemaker? People used to make games on this program back in 2000s. (Showcase video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBVQjxOZrzY)
Anyway, most games made on it crash upon being launched in windows 7, with the exception of "Space Raider". (out of all i have)
After fiddling around with the setup.ini file i got one of the games (tried on "ghosbusters") to run, althrough only with a blackscreen, and it crashes if you try to play.

; vbcreate : 0=normal / 1=WriteOnly / 2=No Clip / 3=[1]+[2] / 4=SystemMem
; vbusage : 0=normal / 1=Wait / 2=WriteOnly and Wait / 3=SurfaceMem and Wait

Default:
vbcreate=4
vbusage=3

Works if
vbcreate=1
vbusage=3

Any 3D Gamemaker enthusiasts in here? I thought of gathering an archive of these games. Does anyone have the program itself?
Heer's a screenshot from ghosbusters by the way.
3-ghostbusters.jpg

Reply 3 of 7, by MasterfulDark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well.. in a way they're similar i guess. Bad FPS, check, Caiman, check..

Compatibility Mode + Administrator don't work, just checked with ghosbusters. Should check with a few other games just in case, but i right now i gotta go.

As a status update.. well i found a game that works like a charm, it's called Dark Twilight, available on moddb. I tried copying it's ini files around (it also had a ddl for direct draw and stuffs of this kind, it was in windowed mode) but it refuses to launch still. I also managed to get a "3D Gamemaker Vista Patch" thingy off their official site's ftp. But it's for the program obviously..
Another game that works is called Helios Chase, not an fps, an arcade game where you move around popping balloons.

EDIT
Nope compatibility + administator does not work at all

Reply 4 of 7, by catchaserguns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got said game to work on my windows 10 machine. You had to put it into windows xp compatibility with resolution of 640 x 480 and administrative rights. A major problem maybe how you set your resolution.

Reply 5 of 7, by MasterfulDark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
catchaserguns wrote:

I got said game to work on my windows 10 machine. You had to put it into windows xp compatibility with resolution of 640 x 480 and administrative rights. A major problem maybe how you set your resolution.

Ghostbusters?
I just tried that and it gave me a lengthy runtime error.. Did you atler anything in the ini file?
Hopefully i am gettin it right - Windows xp compatibility mode, Run in 640x480, As an administrator - that's it?
Tried other games - City of the Dead, Robbybobby, Anti-Tank, Chicks gone wild, Tooth fairy saves easter, Dr.Green - they crash too, give out short and lenghty errors.

Also downloaded Inside the Beast and apparently launches without any alterations, but only loads the game over screen. With compatibility it gives out a lengthy error.

Reply 6 of 7, by catchaserguns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe its your video card causing the trouble. I use the onboard intel 2500 video card. built into my machine and it works. High end cards have a problem with older games. I downloaded Ghostbusters last night and what I did was ran it with compatibility xp with 640x480 resolution and ran it with administrative rights and it worked fine.

Reply 7 of 7, by MasterfulDark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
catchaserguns wrote:

Maybe its your video card causing the trouble. I use the onboard intel 2500 video card. built into my machine and it works. High end cards have a problem with older games. I downloaded Ghostbusters last night and what I did was ran it with compatibility xp with 640x480 resolution and ran it with administrative rights and it worked fine.

Could be so. My videocard is NVIDIA Geforce Gtx 550 Ti. Had this pc for around 10 years now i think...
Still, since some games work and some don't, there must be something in particular that stops them from running.
Guess i'll have to experiment more..
Thanks for help though!