VOGONS

Common searches

Outcast

Topic actions

First post, by NoGood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just bougth the game Outcast. Now, it's an old game, otherwise i would'n have come to this place, and i probably would'nt have had the problem in the first place. 😈

Now, when i insert the cd, i get the error:

16 bit Windows Subsystem

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' tp terminate the application.

You probably know this error, when you tried running an old game/app on xp/nt.

Now i read something on their site:

Q: I have Windows NT, how do I install the game?

Answer: The System Checker that verifies you have the proper system requirements to run the game did not include Windows NT as a valid operating system and will halt the installation. The game is in fact compatible with NT, you just need to de-activate the system checker by going through StartàRunàX:\Setup\Setup.exe NOSYSCHECK (Use the proper CD Drive letter) and click OK…

This NOSYSCHECK paramater doesn't work, not with "-" in front of it, or not with "/" in front of it. It even is nowhere on the MS site, or in the win XP help file ...

I tried installing + playing in 98, but i end up with a black screen, and computer locked up.

I tried the ACT3.0 as suggested, but i don't know how i could use it to make the game run.

Oh yeah, the crappy win xp compatibility option in the properties doesn't work either. Surprise surprise.

Now, do you know:

• of a way to run the game in XP
  • if there's a NOSYSCHECK-like parameter/command
  • how i could use ACT to run the game

thanks in advance!

Homepage
Lombrosiana

Reply 1 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
NoGood wrote:

<snip>, you just need to de-activate the system checker by going through Start -> Run -> X:\Setup\Setup.exe NOSYSCHECK (Use the proper CD Drive letter) and click OK

This NOSYSCHECK paramater doesn't work, not with "-" in front of it, or not with "/" in front of it. It even is nowhere on the MS site, or in the win XP help file ...

It is not surprising that Microsoft makes no mention of it, since it is an option that is read, interpreted, and acted on by the Setup program (X:\Setup\Setup.exe) - which is not an Microsoft product.

Instead of running the Setup program from the Start menu, have you tried running it from a command prompt:

X:> chdir /d X:\Setup
X:> setup NOSYSCHECK

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Tried this?

ftp://ftp.infogrames.net/patches/outcast/OutcastPatch.exe

Available here:

http://www.atarisupport.com/faq/outcastdownloads_pc.asp

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just a shot in the dark. It seems your autoexec.nt is corrupted or is missing some line(s). Try looking in the windows folder for some backup copy of it. Compare them. My confg.nt and autoexec.nt look like something like this:

CONFIG.NT

REM Lots of REMmarked lines....
dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
files=40

AUTOEXEC.NT

@echo off

REM Installs CD-ROM extensions
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

REM Installs net redirector (load before dosx.exe)
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir

REM Installs DPMI compatibility
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

REM The following line enables Sound Blaster 2.0 compatibility for using with the NTVDM

REM The command to configure the BLASTER environment is as follows:

REM SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330
REM where:
REM A specifies I/O port for SB
REM I specifies interrupt request line
REM D specifies 8 bit DMA channel
REM P specifies base I/O port for MPU-401
REM T Specifies Sound Blaster type
REM 1 - Sound Blaster 1.5
REM 2 - Sound Blaster Pro I
REM 3 - Sound Blaster 2.0
REM 4 - Sound Blaster Pro II
REM 6 - SOund Blaster 16/AWE 32/32/64
REM
REM Default value is A220 I5 D1 T3 and P330. If some of the parameters are not specified, default values will be used.
REM The T parameter must be set to 3 if specified
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

REM To disable Sound Blaster 2.0 compatibility under NTVDM, just specify a I/O base address different from SB. E.g.
REM SET BLASTER=A0

Reply 6 of 6, by NoGood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OMG, it actually works! 😀

config.nt was exactly the same, autoexec.nt just wasn't there ...

Now let's hope the install does it, and the game runs fine ...

Thanks a lot man!

Homepage
Lombrosiana