VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by hanshagel

User metadata

hi, i am looking for any emulator which be able to to run win98 software under win2000. is there anything avaible?

Reply 1 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There is not any W98 emulator. The only alternative is to use a complete PC emulator (like Microsoft Virtual PC, VMWare, Bochs ...), install Windows 98 there and run the program in that installed W98.
Apart from Bochs, these are all commercial programs (though they have free trials). Bochs is free but also slow, complicated and buggy.

Mirek

Reply 4 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

You could also try right-click on the main executable and run it using some compatibility mode. I think both Windows 2000 and XP have that feature. 😎

Well, good luck. These are options just to increase compatibility a little bit. They can be useful sometimes, but if program really expects W9x and does somethings what NT based systems do not like, they will not help...
Windows XP will basically remain Windows XP regardless of what compatibility you set.

Moving this thread elsewhere ...

Mirek

Reply 5 of 6, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

You could also try right-click on the main executable and run it using some compatibility mode. I think both Windows 2000 and XP have that feature. 😎

Windows XP has some compatibility modes built-in and you can select them by right-clicking the executable file. Windows 2000 requires something called the Application Compatibility Kit (available here), but it's such a pain to set up that I do not recommend it to anyone.

If you have Windows XP, give the compatibility options a try before anything else. Otherwise you will need a full emulator or a dual-boot between W98 and W2000.

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 6 of 6, by malkav11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, that's not strictly true. Windows 2000 can use the Application Compatibility Kit, and it's probably a more powerful tool for the purpose, but it's possible to turn on an XP style compatibility menu for shortcuts, with SP2 or later. It's not on by default, which is really pretty stupid, and the command to turn it on is obscure and hard to come by, but it's there.

regsvr32 %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll

See what I mean?