VOGONS

Common searches

Problematic Windows games list

Topic actions

Reply 220 of 256, by Speedwarrior956

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And for yet another Problematic Windows Game .......
-a racing one, nonetheless....-

NHRA Pro-Stock Cars & Trucks (aka "NHRA Pro-Stock Drag Racing". Motorsims, 2001) which crashes back to the desktop on them latest versions of Windows due to some CRAPPY implementation of the deprecated Racepak plug in.

It looks like this:

EDIT: Hot Rod: Garage To Glory (Canopy Games/Valusoft, 2004) runs quite poorly on Windows 10 thorough DXWnd; Whereas on DgVooDoo it crashes back to the desktop rather immediately. #JustTested

Attachments

Reply 221 of 256, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone else tried the GOG version of SpeedBusters? I'm still experiencing random crashes with it even after upgrading my graphic card and drivers.

Reply 222 of 256, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2024-01-15, 03:17:

Anyone else tried the GOG version of SpeedBusters? I'm still experiencing random crashes with it even after upgrading my graphic card and drivers.

I don't think a 1999 game will benefit from graphic card driver update.

Probably it lies down to the game mainly. Although I use a 60fps cap with 2 core affinity and dgVoodoo2 for better gameplay.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 223 of 256, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-01-15, 04:54:
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2024-01-15, 03:17:

I don't think a 1999 game will benefit from graphic card driver update.

Probably it lies down to the game mainly. Although I use a 60fps cap with 2 core affinity and dgVoodoo2 for better gameplay.

On my previous card I tried dgvoodoo2 and single proc affinity. Neither stopped the crashing. Oddly enough there's one car, the Cortex, that allows me to finish a race while all the others make the game to randomly crash.

Reply 224 of 256, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, now that I tried dgvoodoo2 with the internal fps limiter I'm having another issue. I'm able to finish a race, but at the ending of it, as soon as the camera is switched to drive by, the game minimizes and when I try to restore the window, same crash happens. Any way that I could avoid the game from minimizing its window?

Reply 225 of 256, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2024-01-17, 04:21:

Ok, now that I tried dgvoodoo2 with the internal fps limiter I'm having another issue. I'm able to finish a race, but at the ending of it, as soon as the camera is switched to drive by, the game minimizes and when I try to restore the window, same crash happens. Any way that I could avoid the game from minimizing its window?

I got the minimise window issue in yet another Ubisoft game, probably it was F1 Racing Simulation where the game would just minimise instead of "Quit". I didn't get a solution to it so far, it looks more like a platform-specific-programming-bug. Did you find anything related to it in the GOG forums (this bug should be more common I guess)

Reply 226 of 256, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-01-17, 05:39:
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2024-01-17, 04:21:

I got the minimise window issue in yet another Ubisoft game, probably it was F1 Racing Simulation where the game would just minimise instead of "Quit". I didn't get a solution to it so far, it looks more like a platform-specific-programming-bug. Did you find anything related to it in the GOG forums (this bug should be more common I guess)

Only for much newer titles, so nothing would apply to Speed Busters.

Reply 227 of 256, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@HunterZ @DosFreak (the editor)

I am a little lost about the criteria of the list. @HunterZ specifically is judging by how his NATIVE system behaves? If that's the case, the list has to be MUCH, MUCH LONGER. In 2024 (or even in 2020) you wouldn't expect an application to run unhampered-by-Windows, be it the app startup, or the DirectX part, or the core audio, or other base Windows APIs. Something that shield the app from such is needed, such as DxWnd, along with other correction from graphics side offered by DDC/dgVoodoo2/dxwrapper...

Looking at the list myself and based on what I tested, the ONLY game that UNIVERSALLY is problematic is the first game only, AMBER JB. NFS SE COULD also qualify considering the difficulty, and specific stuff your computer "shouldn't have" to run the program.

Vietcong, MW2 Titanium, MW3, FF7, TTD, SimCity2k, Rune, Martin Mystere Operation Dorian Gray, Incoming, I76, Jane's IAF, USAF, HG2, Diskworld Noir, Descent 3, Black Dahlia, Blade Runner were other things I tested that worked, so they are NOT universally problematic.

(and since this thread lies at the top, for everybody to see, learn and judge, I believe the data should be correct, or at least more specific)

HunterZ wrote on 2020-01-19, 20:30:

Cool. Come over to my house and get Shogo working reliably on my Windows 10 gaming laptop!

Could be irrelevant 4 yrs later but see this is the problem. Shogo MAD runs natively on my Win11 machine, no wrapper even needed as here:
file.php?mode=view&id=183354

The only problem I with it is the extra menu bar and the game losing the menu elements when trying to change res/color depth etc + if you consider the laggy performance. The former gets solved using the ForceSimpleWindow tweak and the latter two gets solved by DxWnd so everything turns out fine. There is blurry text in the cutscenes due to ClearType. Yet another issue could be the "small sized game screen" which is due to Windows Program Compatibility Assistant shenanigans, deleting those keys will fix the issue if it happens. So there is no clear line on what is problematic.

Attachments

• shogonative.png
    Filename
    shogonative.png
    File size
    878.3 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 228 of 256, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had an issue with retail Speed Busters until I did something involving installing the patch for cockpit view then replacing the game exe with older one or something, I forget. I've got it on my PC at the mo, should have a look 😁

My full list of games I never quite got working on Windows 10 properly (updating as I fix them 😀

Castrol Honda Superbike World Champions - doesn't work
Extreme Sprint 3010 - crashes
Jetboat Superchamps 2 - not working
Kayak Extreme - not working
Knight Rider - does nothing
Ferrari Virtual Academy 2K10 - server removed, so no longer playable
MotoGP '07 - crowds flicker like crazy
The Real Car Simulator R - wasn't able to install Toyota pack, but running a dodgy copy, probably a fixed one out there
RaceRoom The Game 1 & 2 - server removed, so no longer playable (these were small games before RaceRoom Racing Experience
S40 Racing - broken, repeating, stuttering sound
Sega Worldwide Soccer PC - Direct3D version can be coaxed to work in-game, but menus are black
Superbike 2001 - slow and hardly works (might be better now, should retry!)
Super Taxi Driver (crashes)

FIXED:
Baku Baku Animal - broken colours = FIXED (next page)
Evil Kneival - no bike or scenery = FIXED (next page)
Tomcat Alley - 16bit app so needs virtual machine = FIXED (next page)
Viper Racing - sound crackles = FIXED (next page)

Last edited by VirtuaIceMan on 2024-02-01, 18:53. Edited 1 time in total.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 229 of 256, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

p.s. the sound in S40 Racing I'd really like solved; tried using Creative ALchemy even (as I've got a compatible sound card) but then there's no sound at all! In VMWare Player the sound plays but stutters and the frame rate is pretty awful.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 230 of 256, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VirtuaIceMan wrote on 2024-01-29, 20:45:
I had an issue with retail Speed Busters until I did something involving installing the patch for cockpit view then replacing th […]
Show full quote

I had an issue with retail Speed Busters until I did something involving installing the patch for cockpit view then replacing the game exe with older one or something, I forget. I've got it on my PC at the mo, should have a look 😁

My full list of games I never quite got working on Windows 10 properly:

Baku Baku Animal - broken colours (probably fixeable, will hunt for a solution when I cover it on YouTube)
Evil Kneival - no bike or scenery
The Real Car Simulator R - wasn't able to install Toyota pack, but running a dodgy copy, probably a fixed one out there
RaceRoom The Game 1 & 2 - server removed, so no longer playable (these were small games before RaceRoom Racing Experience
Sega Worldwide Soccer PC - Direct3D version can be coaxed to work in-game, but menus are black
Tomcat Alley - 16bit app so needs virtual machine
Viper Racing - sound crackles

Probably Baku Baku works
https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discussion/ge … ead/3fce5bf56e/

I think Viper Racing worked fine for me in Win11 as well. Superbike 2k01 doesn't, heap issue. I played another Castrol Honda game but don't recall which one

Reply 232 of 256, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Flashback wrote on 2024-01-30, 08:40:

The patches here fixed that for me in XP/10.

Thanks, that's one off my list 😀

Reply 233 of 256, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-01-30, 05:03:
Probably Baku Baku works https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discussion/ge … ead/3fce5bf56e/ […]
Show full quote
I had an issue with retail Speed Busters until I did something involving installing the patch for cockpit view then replacing th […]
Show full quote

My full list of games I never quite got working on Windows 10 properly:

Baku Baku Animal - broken colours (probably fixeable, will hunt for a solution when I cover it on YouTube)
Evil Kneival - no bike or scenery
Tomcat Alley - 16bit app so needs virtual machine

Probably Baku Baku works
https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discussion/ge … ead/3fce5bf56e/

I think Viper Racing worked fine for me in Win11 as well. Superbike 2k01 doesn't, heap issue. I played another Castrol Honda game but don't recall which one

Did you see the baku baku soln

Reply 234 of 256, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally got BAKU working but with the latest dxwnd and the dxw file from https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discussion/ge … 81aebbca0/#98e3

Reply 235 of 256, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This might be an approach to run old 16bit apps like Tomcat Alley on Windows 10 64bit (and 11 potentially) https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/modern … it/ba-p/1671418

It allowed me to install Tomcat Alley but the game itself wouldn't work (error in the emulator).

Reply 236 of 256, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VirtuaIceMan wrote on 2024-01-30, 22:32:

This might be an approach to run old 16bit apps like Tomcat Alley on Windows 10 64bit (and 11 potentially) https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/modern … it/ba-p/1671418

It allowed me to install Tomcat Alley but the game itself wouldn't work (error in the emulator).

Otvdm was never meant for gaming anyway.

Reply 237 of 256, by crazyc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VirtuaIceMan wrote on 2024-01-30, 22:32:

If you press continue at the error then the game starts and plays fine.

BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-01-31, 10:57:

Sure it is.

Reply 238 of 256, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
crazyc wrote on 2024-01-31, 16:47:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-01-31, 10:57:

Sure it is.

I mean it can render graphics but there's still much to be desired. As far as I experienced, many privileged instructions handling is unimplemented, I recently made a thread on the otvdm issue on that with WinDirect.

Although I don't know what the game needs that OP asked for

(Some Win16 demos had issues, but for those I have to check if it used any graphics-accelerator-specific functions)

Reply 239 of 256, by crazyc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-01-31, 17:22:

I mean it can render graphics but there's still much to be desired. As far as I experienced, many privileged instructions handling is unimplemented, I recently made a thread on the otvdm issue on that with WinDirect.

Sure, stuff that bypasses Windows and hits the hardware directly if going to be problematic but that stuff mostly doesn't work at all on ntvdm. The thing that you posted is a test program so it's not really high priority like a real game would be (only games use this stuff). Anyway https://github.com/otya128/winevdm/pull/1368 fixes the crash at start for tomcat alley.