VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Baldy23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to run the Windows speech version of SQ4 on Win XP and have had no luck even starting the game. When I run the executable it simply exits with no message at all. I've tried running with VDMS and gotten the same results. Anyone else have this problem? My computer details are llisted below

Pentuim 4 1.6 GHz 768M RAM
NVidia GeForce 2 MX Video
Integrated Soundblaster Audio
Windows XP Pro

Thanks

Reply 1 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Install the game, first. Most of the Sierra Windows games need to have the path to game resources included in the shortcut for the game. The setup will generate the right shortcut for you. Be sure to also get the new speed bug patches for this game at http://geocities.com/belzorash/ before you start playing it.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SETUP.EXE is for the Windows version, INSTALL.EXE is for the DOS version. If you want to run the Windows version, right click on the Windows shortcut, choose "Properties", copy what is in the "Target" box and paste it in Notepad. Save it in the game's installed folder with a .bat extension. Set the executable, SCIWV.EXE, to run in 256 colors. Now just run the .bat file with VDMS and the game will start.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 8, by Baldy23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nope, that didn't seem to work either. I ran setup to install the game, then set the compatibiltiy to be 256 colors, compatible with Win 95, and ran with VDMS, but it still just quits immediately with no message at all. I'm kind of at a loss here I must admit.

Reply 8 of 8, by Mephisto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a smilar Problem too, : when i started the game using VDMS , it ran, but wuthout sound, only the first sound came, and after 3 sec. it broke down - and i had no sound. - or sometimes without sound -i dont know 😒

I think the only way to run it with sound, is using DOSBOX - i use it on 2500 cycles, and it works fine