VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by nthobject

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The game Brian Lara International Cricket 2007 game has an executable file ICC2007.exe to launch the game which fails to run on Windows 10 64-bit with error 0xc000007B - "The application was unable to start correctly - Error 0xC000007B. Click Ok to close the application."

I have scoured the Internet in vain to find a solution. I am making an effort for anyone who can possibly suggest a workaround to make this game run on Windows 10 64-bit.

This only happens on Windows 10 64-bit, with ANY compatibility mode selected or not and Run this application as Administrator enabled/disabled permutations and combinations with the various compatibility modes.

The game runs fine on Windows 7 64-bit without having to select any compatibility mode or run as administrator enabled. I am wondering what is it that is specifically making this exe fail on Windows 10. I am assuming perhaps its some core DLL call that the exe is trying to invoke thats different in Windows 10 than on Windows 7?

Based on my Internet search the error code "0xC000007B" means "STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_FORMAT" which 'probably' indicates that a 32-bit application tried to load a 64-bit DLL or vice-versa. The fact that we don't get this error in Windows 7 indicates that the DLL file and folder location that is being called is different in Windows 10 compared to Windows 7.

I am wondering if the exe is trying to invoke a 32-bit DLL but trying to find it in the 64-bit DLL folder under Windows 10 which is located at C:\Windows\System32 when it should be looking for the 32-bit DLL under C:\Windows\SysWOW64.

I have tried using Dependency Walker and Hex Workshop to look into the exe file to check what DLL files are being called and have placed several 32-bit as well as 64-bit versions of the DLL's inside the game folder at different times and tried launching the game, but receive the same error.

Dependency Walker log:

Error: At least one required implicit or forwarded dependency was not found.
Error: Modules with different CPU types were found.
Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.
Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Filename
    Capture.PNG
    File size
    19.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 3, by nthobject

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2020-03-25, 01:16:

Did you install the Visual Studio redist for the version of VS the game was compiled for?

It comes with a DirectX 9 (November 2006) setup and OpenAL setup which I have already installed. How can I find what version of Visual Studio the game was compiled for?

Update:
I installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack Redistributable Package (x86) which was the oldest version I was able to find. The game was released in March 2007 which is before the time of the VS redist package release. So I am not sure what VS redist package might have been used when compiling the game.

Version:

File Name:
vcredist_x86.exe

Date Published:
4/22/2008

File Size:
4.0 MB

Update2:
Installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) as well.

Attachments

• openal.PNG
    Filename
    openal.PNG
    File size
    12.07 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • directx.PNG
    Filename
    directx.PNG
    File size
    323.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Profile the game with dependency walker and check for any msvc files used and note the filename since it'll have the version number in it.
For the Visual Studio Redist you'll need to install the 32bit version since the game is likely 32bit.
There are various way to find the version of VS the game was compiled with, CFF Explorer should work.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline