VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
im trying to make working Half-Life 2 or its demo on Windows 98 in search for most HW demanding Win98 games..

I tried demo but it has in build Steam.. on which i cant logon, because its old version and it is no more supported.

The i try to Half Life 2 retail its running, but i would like to install newest patches as possible, problem is that i cant find any no Steam patches.. because probably everyone counts that they are already on the Steam.

I read somewhere that with some patch for broken Win98 /Win ME compatibility, but i dunno with which one exactly..

So maybe someone now the details.. Maybe someone will know how to bypass Steam for demo and maybe someone would have some patches on his storage..

My Goal is create best as possible Half-Life 2 Win98 build.. or make demo working.

Last edited by ruthan on 2020-04-06, 20:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 1 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

<=v5135 you need to use Revolution Steam Emulator to bypass the Steam requrement. >v5135 you just need to use the command line switches.

I don't know if anyone has tried kernelex with HL2, likely steampipe versions would require kernelex.

If you don't have any retail media then you'll need to search the internet for the standalone versions. Don't ask here.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 8, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, i have retail media. I have it on Orange Box retail too, but on its Win2000+ , but i guess that it would be also fully Steam version.

Google is not so friendly with Revolution steam emulator keywords.. so if someone can point me to it, it would be nice.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 3 of 8, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm running the 2004 version which doesn't require any steam activation. Not sure if it runs on Windows 98 though.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filede … s/?id=934785387

Reply 4 of 8, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

2004 is version right after release - original version was released at November 16, 2004.

Otherwise i have problem to see initial video sequence.. i see just half-life 2 logo and see black screen + sound later is picture ok.. but i so far used quite old Nvidia 41.xx drivers, which one is recommended? I saw some Phil video where he slows that newer driver is usually slower. Or maybe it needs some video codec..

Reply 5 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't bother with the old HL2 in new HL2 mods just the actual version so not sure how those go but likely you won't have to worry about Steam for those since they are using HL2 >5135. Doubtful they are compatible with 9x but you could try it.

If you want the latest newengine then v5135 is what you want. Work backwards from there if not compatible with 9x.
Try: v2187, v2707, v2733, v2949, v3264 (HL2+EP1), v3300 (EP2+Portal) v3531 (HL2+EP1), v4104 (EP1+EP2)

You are likely going to be looking at Builds 2187 - 4044

HL2 v2187 Nov 2, 2004
You want the Vengeance release which has the GCF files unencrypted. Search the internet

Orange Box

RETAIL
You can extract the files but Episode 2, Portal and TF2 have missing or corrupt files. The other games work though.
Use Phoenix to unpack.
Do not unpack to GCF.

DETONATION (Older builds than the Retail release but EP2, Portal and TF2 work)
Use GCGScape

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 8, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

your 41.xx drivers deffinitely predate the release of half-life 2.

I would try 66.xx or later.

and you are also correct about the intro movie. it's hl2\media\valve.avi

you can either just delete it or try to find the codec.

valve.avi.codec.JPG
Filename
valve.avi.codec.JPG
File size
53.93 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 8, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently played version, which wirerogue linked here under Win 98 without any issues. Just create shortcut from HL2.exe and add following two switches: -steam -novid

You can even use time demos from AnandTech from back in the day, though prepare for much worse performance in Win98 then under WinXP.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 8 of 8, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting, never thought that a HL2 nosteam Win98 Version ever existed...beside that the HL2-Demo had a very nice reflecting roof that never made it in the final version.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines