VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, this Windows95 game runs well enough except that there is no audio, and my best guess is that the game is simply not detecting the presence of an audiocard.

DeviceManager (WinXP + SP2 + DX9c + NForce2 Soundstorm) shows SStorm audio on IRQ22, and my best guess is that this is the problem; that Trespasser is expecting something on IRQ5 or similar.

Is there an audio shim utility that would work in this situation, or is it possible to force the Nvidia drivers to use IRQ5? I have a turtlebeach SantaCruz I could install as a last resort, but would rather avoid this.

thx!!

rms

Reply 1 of 3, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it's a Windows application, it will NEVER directly need to access the hardware; there are two APIs, WaveOut and DirectSound, that ALL Windows software use. Windows programs don't care where your sound card is; only the device drivers do.
Your problem lies somewhere else.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 3, by rms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hallolujah! I got it to work by installing my old Turtlebeach SantaCruz soundcard!!

Now the SantaCruz is working alongside my onboard Nforce2 Soundstorm, so I also had to switch all the windowsXP audio output defaults to the SantaCruz to play Trespasser, and back for other games (Soundstorm is better for most things I think).

Man, when I fired up Trespasser and saw and heard the Sensaura 3DAudio logo pop up, that was such a great feeling!! The intro videoclips and In-game audio appear to work perfectly, now to install all the high-res addons and give this game a workout !! Will report back soon.

rms