VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by skaarjwarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure if anyone has figured this out already.
I'm trying to run ZPC cd rom on Windows 10 with Dosbox.

It'll complete setup then close Dosbox afterwards.
Restarting it and running zpc.exe gives errors
Cannot find MSVFW32.DLL
Unexpected error: 21

Perhaps it just won't work on Windows 10?

Many thanks!

Reply 1 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
skaarjwarrior wrote on 2020-05-19, 04:08:

It looks like you have Windows 3.1 installed in DOSBox, and you're trying to run ZPC with it - despite the fact that it clearly says on the box that it's for Windows 95!?

What exactly made you think this would work? Did you read something somewhere? This setup can be used to run certain games for Windows 3.1, but not games for Windows 95!

Perhaps it just won't work on Windows 10?

You would be far more likely to get it to run in PCem (with Windows 95 or Windows 98 running inside PCem). Or you could try VMware, with Windows XP running inside VMware, but PCem is much more likely to work. Or there might be some way to persuade it to run in Windows 10 directly, but I wouldn't bet on it. But DOSBox with Windows 3.1 is completely out of the question, regardless of what version of Windows you're using to run DOSBox!

Also, you posted in the wrong subforum, as the DOS forum is for DOS games - not for DOSBox, and certainly not for Windows games.

Reply 3 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
skaarjwarrior wrote on 2020-05-19, 04:08:
Not sure if anyone has figured this out already. I'm trying to run ZPC cd rom on Windows 10 with Dosbox. […]
Show full quote

Not sure if anyone has figured this out already.

It'll complete setup then close Dosbox afterwards.
Restarting it and running zpc.exe gives errors
Cannot find MSVFW32.DLL
Unexpected error: 21

You edited your post. Now this is just confusing. I guess you are running Setup in DOSBox with Windows 3.1 because the setup.exe is a 16-bit program? Because that's still a bad idea.

As discussed in ZPC - win95 only, anyway around this and https://reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=90351 , the standard solution to problems like this is to first copy all the files off the CD to a folder on your hard drive, and then put a replacement setup32.exe in that folder instead.