VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 23, by mr.cat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FIVE-one wrote on 2020-12-18, 16:03:

Sorry for the dumb question but kjliew test was made on a Linux running computer ?
Maybe I'm trying the wrong way as I'm tinkering with VM on a Win10 computer.

Yes the most recent tests (that use qemu-5.2.0) were made on Linux, but I think it *should* work on a Win10 host too (WHPX is a Windows thing, similar to KVM on Linux).
Unfortunately you can't apply the Linux recipe on Win10 as is, you will need some special sauce (msys2?) to compile.
Robertmo's compilation guides should provide a better basis to work on (I can't vouch for their correctness on the most recent version though).
Earlier in that thread there were even binaries for Windows available, but the guest stubs won't work for the current version - the thing is pretty finicky about the versions between guest and host, they must match.

Reply 21 of 23, by FIVE-one

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok I better stick it to VirtualBox and VMWare so. As I don't have any Linux OS installed and last time I worked on a Linux system was more than 10 years ago. (even if I know it's like bicycle, you never forget how to use it)

Hail to the Emperor !

Reply 22 of 23, by mr.cat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FIVE-one wrote on 2020-12-20, 09:59:

Ok I better stick it to VirtualBox and VMWare so. As I don't have any Linux OS installed and last time I worked on a Linux system was more than 10 years ago. (even if I know it's like bicycle, you never forget how to use it)

Or just wait a bit, maybe robertmo or someone else does a Win10 run at some point.

Reply 23 of 23, by FIVE-one

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A quick update to the case :

I finaly have USB support AND music rendering on VirtualBox, using ACH97 sound device in the virtual machine configuration for the latter.
I dropped the VMWare option, as VMWare is totaly unable to detect any USB device. Too bad cause it is way more stable and doesn't have to mess up to make MIDI plays.

Still have the inherent black screen bugs sometimes but clicking on switch update the display and make anything visible.

However I sometimes have unknown crash and returns to Windows on some missions, but seems to be a game bug. Using latest iF-22 version (V5)

Hail to the Emperor !