VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Fjongus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to run Toca 2 on XP.
The game installs and starts fine, but the 3D Gfx are all screwed up.
I've tried running it with all .exe files in both Win95 and 98 compatibility, to no avail.
Anyone with a solution? 😕

Im using a PII 466 Mhz,
256 MB Ram
Geforce 2 MX 32 MB Ram
XP SP2
DirectX 9.0

Reply 4 of 12, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On mine (WinXP) I HAVE to use compatibility of Win98/ME.

Are your graphics issues in the 3D engine only or also in the menu?

What do you mean by "screwed up"? Incorrect colours or bigger issues? Try disabling anti-aliasing/ansitropic filters first.

I have an ATI Radeon 9800XT so can't get the same graphics errors... you could try changing all the settings in the Nvidia card settings menus, lower everthing to minimum and try again; see if any one thing is causing the corruption.

Ice

Reply 5 of 12, by Fjongus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In the menu's, when you choose car, I can't see the car, only some of the comercial stickers. In the race, The car doesn't show, and the landscape, horizon and sky gets all mixed up. It's one giant mess, I don't know how else to describe it.
BTW I get the same problem with Superbike 2001, even with the US patch.

But I'll try your suggestions.
And thanx for taking time to answer.

Reply 7 of 12, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had the game running with a GF2MX card and under WinXP but not both at the same time. I rather suspect it's the version of video card drivers you're using. Try using an old (& stable) set, say the 31.40's. I was using these up until a couple of months back on my GF4.

Reply 8 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Reckless: You are insane. The newest drivers are the best in terms of both performance and stability. I have NEVER had a stability problem with the release (non-beta) 60-series detonators. Many of my colleagues use the beta drivers without any stability problems as well. I just updated to the latest 66.93 dets to correct a small (non-critical) graphical glitch that occurred with the 61.77 drivers in SimCity 4. Anything using 40s or earlier is just asking for bad performance. Really early detonators (00-10) had terrible stability. I seriously suggest re-evaluating your outlook on the dets; they are outstanding pieces of software. It's fucking annoying that Microsoft is continuing to push 41s with disabled OpenGL on Windows Update -- if you want unstable, graphics-corrupting shit, try those puppies out. (Seriously, I've never seen nVidia drivers cause more bluescreens.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 9 of 12, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

He he insane eh 😀

Well, I had no reason to upgrade as the 31.40's fitted my usage exactly. None of my games had issues and the speed was always more or less within a couple of FPS. Later revisions of drivers don't generally do much for antique hardware and so there's much less need for 'constant' change.

I got a game recently that required me to upgrade drivers (now running 61.77) which seem fine also. No, I've not noticed and new speed or features form this upgrade other than the game in question (can't remember what it was though, could have been the adventure 'Wanted') now works 😀

Reply 11 of 12, by MrLipid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently upgraded to a GeForce FX5700LE on my aging Win98SE system. The card came with the 66.10s. Loaded 'em up and nothing worked. Went for the most recent drivers. They didn't work, either. Went back to the 61.76s. Everything's fine now. Go figure....

Reply 12 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is very strange behaviour. The only cards that I have ever experienced problems with were far out-of-spec Gateway cards which were TNT2 with DVI-only output, and I do a lot of nVidia driver installing at work. 😀 Either way, good to hear that it's working again...

Yes, it’s my fault.