VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

EDIT: Patched exe can be downloaded here: https://easyupload.io/mo29vh
Hi,
Last Bronx is one of my favorite games of all time, but unfortunately almost no accessible ports of this game had ever existed:

• The saturn version is not even close to the visuals of the arcade version, but it still plays good at 60fps and has a lot of extras like anime intro/endings.
  • The arcade version is not available anywhere aside from that japan-only PS2 port or emulation, looks and plays great but is a very barebones game without the anime intro/endings and training mode.
  • The PC version ran like crap at the time of release and only processors released many years later are able to run it at steady 60fps as the game never had any 3D acceleration. Plus, if you run the game on anything newer than Windows 98, the intro or any ending FMV crashes the game, but then if you run it under Windows 98 the framerate goes nuts and the game runs too fast. Which is very sad because the PC version has graphics on par with the arcade and also the extras from the Saturn despite FMV quality being inferior. The game is somehow playable on modern machines, but you cannot attempt to play any FMV otherwise the game crashes (making PC mode kind of useless...), the game also uses CD audio for its soundtrack and that may be an annoyance as well

Recently, I was finally able to get this game to fully work on modern machines with FMV and no need of any discs to play with music by using the patch below.
This patch actually a combination of patches: A NOCD patch, the _inmm.dll patch to allow audio tracks to play from a specific folder instead of CD, and finally my own patch so the game will open .wmv videos instead of the avi ones.
After applying the patch and copying the dll files provided (ddraw.dll and _inmm.dll), the game AVI files present in MOVIE folder must be converted to wmv format and to 640x480 resolution so they can show in full screen (I made the convertion by using Microsoft's own Movie Maker). You also need to rip the audio tracks from the original game CD as MP3 and place them into a new MUSIC folder into the game installation directory.
Finally, you need to install _inmm which can be found here: https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file … tched-_inmmdll/

Only drawback of this patch is that after any FMV finishes playing, the game lose focus and the desktop will be shown, when that happens, you just need to press alt+tab to resume the game.

Another cool feature is that you can convert the FMVs from the saturn version (which are higher quality) to wmv and use them instead of the PC ones. The FMVs files from the Saturn version can be found into the game CD and opened in Windows after installing the required codecs (K-Lite codecs pack has it). Then you can create a new movie maker project and export it to wmv following the naming used on the PC version.

Note: Make sure to run it in Windows 98 compatibility mode

Hope it helps and please let me know if you have any problems with this patch.

Attachments

• Filename
    Last Bronx Modern.rar
    File size
    242.11 KiB
    Downloads
    473 downloads
    File comment
    Last Bronx Modern Patch
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by gaffa2002 on 2021-05-29, 17:50. Edited 3 times in total.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 3 of 51, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Xenphor wrote on 2020-06-30, 16:30:

I believe I was able to resolve the speed issue on an overpowered win98 socket 775 system (pentium e5800) by just messing around with some game options but I forget what I did.

I believe you changed the frame control to "None", for some reason that didn't work for me in Win98. Maybe it also depends on the monitor as it seems to limit the game to the refresh rate.
On windows XP and newer it works, though.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
256Mb PC100 RAM
32GB HDD

Reply 4 of 51, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gaffa2002 wrote on 2020-06-30, 17:51:
Xenphor wrote on 2020-06-30, 16:30:

I believe I was able to resolve the speed issue on an overpowered win98 socket 775 system (pentium e5800) by just messing around with some game options but I forget what I did.

I believe you changed the frame control to "None", for some reason that didn't work for me in Win98. Maybe it also depends on the monitor as it seems to limit the game to the refresh rate.
On windows XP and newer it works, though.

Yeah it was some kind of vsync type of setting. I probably then changed the refresh rate of my monitor to 60.

Reply 5 of 51, by SumioSquirrel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but for some reason, the patcher will not work. I've tried everything you can think of, even trying to run the patcher through a VM. I followed the instructions perfectly. Any tips?

Reply 6 of 51, by Electric_Lizard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SumioSquirrel wrote on 2020-08-19, 12:58:

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but for some reason, the patcher will not work. I've tried everything you can think of, even trying to run the patcher through a VM. I followed the instructions perfectly. Any tips?

Yes, the BATCH file the OP created doesn't work in any modern Windows OS. I suspect he used someone else's tools to make his file and just assumed his batch command would work without testing it. It might be possible to patch the file on a VM running Windows 95. I wasted an hour carefully converting the videos and improving the quality, then found that the patches would require a ridiculous amount of time to install, if they ever worked at all. Seriously, if I have to install an entire OS in virtual machine to do something like this, warn me ahead of time. 🤣.

Reply 7 of 51, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Electric_Lizard wrote on 2021-04-07, 23:43:

Yes, the BATCH file the OP created doesn't work in any modern Windows OS. I suspect he used someone else's tools to make his file and just assumed his batch command would work without testing it.

Huh? The batch file is one line:

BSPATCH LB.EXE LB_PATCHED.EXE LB_PATCH

bspatch appears to be https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/929/ . What happens when you try to run it under modern Windows? It looks like there's another build available at https://github.com/zhuyie/bsdiff/tree/master/Release .

Reply 8 of 51, by Electric_Lizard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2021-04-08, 02:58:
Huh? The batch file is one line: […]
Show full quote

Yes, the BATCH file the OP created doesn't work in any modern Windows OS. I suspect he used someone else's tools to make his file and just assumed his batch command would work without testing it.

bspatch appears to be https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/929/ . What happens when you try to run it under modern Windows? It looks like there's another build available at https://github.com/zhuyie/bsdiff/tree/master/Release .

Yes, by changing .bat to .txt you can see the command is just a list. It does nothing. (Edit: It does apply the old 1990s No-CD crack, but NOT with the patch tool he provided. However, that doesn't solve the problem he's pretending he solved.) That is a red flag indicating we are dealing with a time waster.

However, Windows 9X is a completely different kernel than Windows XP/7/8/10. The actual patches themselves could hypothetically work in Windows 95/98, even if they do nothing in NTFS-based Windows. In Windows 98, normally you just move the patch icon over the file and it automatically patches it. There is no reason for a bat file. That is how I managed to patch a few other Sega games. Edit: No reason to do this. The patch he's providing doesn't do what he says it does. It only patches the game for MP3 music and No-CD. WMV videos still crash in NTFS-based Windows.

However, this is NOT the first time I've run across someone who claimed to fix the problem with the videos in Last Bronx. Usually the person is just hitting start to enter the game before the video plays and doesn't realize the videos are still crashing the game and that their "custom patch" does absolutely nothing. Edit: AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT WE ARE SEEING HERE.

So, definitely NOT enough incentive to load a 23 year old OS into a virtual machine to play around with these files. I'd wager there is about zero chance this works.

Last edited by Electric_Lizard on 2021-04-08, 11:36. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 9 of 51, by Electric_Lizard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2021-04-08, 02:58:
Huh? The batch file is one line: […]
Show full quote

Okay, with the new file you provided, the BAT file actually executes and creates an LB_PATCHED.EXE, but it still crashes when the video starts (even when renamed to LB.EXE). Which is what I figured. This guy was playing this on his Windows 98 box and just erroneously assumed it would work the same way in NTFS Windows.

GE3Z8wU.gif

🤣. OKay, yeah. That really fixed this problem for everyone. /S

Okay, what this guy's patch actually does is (1) apply the old 1990s no-cd crack and (2) patch the game to play ripped MP3 music. However, it absolutely DOES NOT add FMVs back to the game. This has to be around the sixth time I've seen someone claim to fix this in the last 15years.

I don't know if the guy is a troll or if he just didn't realize that playing the game on a Windows 98 box is not going to be the same as playing it on modern NTFS-baseed Windows.

Last edited by Electric_Lizard on 2021-04-08, 11:45. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 10 of 51, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@electric_lizard

MOD warning:
Your attitude towards the OP by calling him a joker, timewaster and posting that large negative thumbs down image (now deleted) is against the community standards here on Vogons.

Think before you post, the OP is trying to help with the patch being created free of charge for the community. Be constructive, show good conduct and have good faith in other people's work/participation.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 11 of 51, by Electric_Lizard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vetz wrote on 2021-04-08, 11:40:
@electric_lizard […]
Show full quote

@electric_lizard

MOD warning:
Your attitude towards the OP by calling him a joker, timewaster and posting that large negative thumbs down image (now deleted) is against the community standards here on Vogons.

Think before you post, the OP is trying to help with the patch being created free of charge for the community. Be constructive, show good conduct and have good faith in other people's work/participation.

I apologize. I lost my temper because I've been down this rabbit hole with this particular game several times over the years. I appreciate that the OP is trying to fix the issue.

Reply 12 of 51, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Electric_Lizard wrote on 2021-04-08, 10:15:

Yes, by changing .bat to .txt you can see the command is just a list.

That... makes it like pretty much every other .bat file in existence? You can also drag and drop it onto a notepad window, also like any other .bat file.

Electric_Lizard wrote on 2021-04-08, 10:31:

Okay, what this guy's patch actually does is (1) apply the old 1990s no-cd crack and (2) patch the game to play ripped MP3 music. However, it absolutely DOES NOT add FMVs back to the game.

Did you read the post..?

the game AVI files present in MOVIE folder must be converted to wmv format and to 640x480 resolution so they can show in full screen (I made the convertion by using Microsoft's own Movie Maker).

Is that what you did? I can see you wrote "WMV videos still crash in NTFS-based Windows", so how exactly did you make your WMVs? Do they still play in Media Player after you converted them?

I might add that there are several different versions of the WMV codec and it would be useful to know which version was used by the OP. It is by no means inconceivable that some versions of WMV might work and that other versions might not.

(Also I think you mean NT-based Windows, not "NTFS-based Windows".)

Reply 13 of 51, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, "this guy" here

I see that are some doubts to address, so let's go:
- The game and patch was tried under Windows 7 64 bits. Not in Windows 98 (why should I? the FMVs work there)
-Didn't use any kind of virtual machine
- My patch changes the game to attempt to open OPENING.WMV, JOE.WMV... etc instead of OPENING.AVI, JOE.AVI, etc... Aside from adding NO-CD and MP3 patches made by other people
- I didn't use the AVI files that came with the game, I got the ones from the Saturn CD-ROM, opened them in Windows Movie Maker and converted to WMV
-For the codecs, I guess I just downloaded the k-lite-codec-pack-full-15-5-6 as it contained the specific codec required for the saturn videos (Duck Truemotion I believe)
-Also installed _inmm238 for the music files to work
-The game must be set to execute in Windows 98 compatibility mode, otherwise it will crash (but for a different reason which I cannot remember, had to debug the game at the time to find out)
-I haven't tested on Windows 10, so that may be the problem

Anyway, there was no need to hurt my feelings like that 🙁

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
256Mb PC100 RAM
32GB HDD

Reply 14 of 51, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for checking in.

gaffa2002 wrote on 2021-04-08, 19:05:

-For the codecs, I guess I just downloaded the k-lite-codec-pack-full-15-5-6 as it contained the specific codec required for the saturn videos (Duck Truemotion I believe)

My question was specifically what settings you used when you saved the videos in Windows Movie Maker. Does Movie Maker let you select different versions of the WMV codec?

Reply 15 of 51, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2021-04-08, 21:05:

Thanks for checking in.

gaffa2002 wrote on 2021-04-08, 19:05:

My question was specifically what settings you used when you saved the videos in Windows Movie Maker. Does Movie Maker let you select different versions of the WMV codec?

Don't remember exactly, but there weren't many options available to select. I'm attaching one of the wmv files, maybe it can help.

Attachments

• Filename
    NAGI.zip
    File size
    2.3 MiB
    Downloads
    128 downloads
    File comment
    One of the wmv files, converted using movie maker
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
256Mb PC100 RAM
32GB HDD

Reply 17 of 51, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ATIMKOS wrote on 2021-05-06, 21:09:

Can someone upload LB_PATCHED.EXE? For me bspatch not working.

Did you read the posts in this thread at all? I linked to a newer version of bspatch.

Reply 18 of 51, by ATIMKOS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2021-05-07, 01:07:
ATIMKOS wrote on 2021-05-06, 21:09:

Can someone upload LB_PATCHED.EXE? For me bspatch not working.

Did you read the posts in this thread at all? I linked to a newer version of bspatch.

Yes, but now LB_PATCHED.EXE not working with my windows (win 10 pro)

Reply 19 of 51, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ATIMKOS wrote on 2021-05-07, 14:16:

Yes, but now LB_PATCHED.EXE not working with my windows (win 10 pro)

Why don't you describe what the problem is? Are you getting an error message? Did you instal _inmm.dll , like it says in the first post?