VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Lizardude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Motherboard: ASUS P4P800e Deluxe

Processor type and speed: Pentium 4 3.2ghz

Amount and type of RAM: Two 512mb sticks, each Corsair Value Select, 184 Pin DDR SDRAM.

Video board w/ RAM amount and type: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb

Sound board: Onboard Sound

Operating system: Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition

Game name and version: Mechwarrior 2 - PowerVR Edition

Description of problem: The game appears to work fine, but as soon as I try to start a mission, or start a training lesson, it instantly takes me back to the clan hall, and assumes I quit instantly.

Reproducibility of problem: Always

Sound mode used: I think the game uses DirectSound from DirectX 2 (I have 9, so this is most likely the problem)

Video mode: DirectX 2 (I have DirectX 9)

Version of emulator: N/A, no emulator being used.

Steps already attempted to solve the problem: Reinstalling several times, read the tech section of the readme, no help.

Reply 1 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Holy crap, Win98 on that hefty of a system? I hope you're dual booting and not using it as your primary OS...

Isn't PowerVR some type of old 3D accelerator? Could it be that the game is expecting you to have this card? Also, are there any patches available?

Reply 2 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, the GUI menu system uses ddraw IIRC, while the game (the missions) actually use the 3D portion. That's most likely why it doesn't work. I don't have any experience with the PowerVR edition or if you can use other API's for the mission portion.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 6, by Lizardude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, sorry I took so long to respond, my internet has been a bit goofy lately.

Yes, I am indeed duel-booting (80gb separate hds for each) and yes, I applied a system.ini fix to stop the ram problem (it actually says 1024mb in the system properties 😁).

Well, if there's no solution for Windows 98, then perhaps there's a way to get it to work for my XP?

Edit: Oops, missed the VR suggestion, I'm going to try to install my older Mechwarrior 2 and see if that works. It does not say PowerVR editon.

Reply 6 of 6, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry to bump, but you might find this page handy:

http://www.geocities.com/k_lupinsky/

It has a LOT of information on the MW2 series & all of the 3d-accelerated variants. The PowerVR page states that it's only compatible with the PowerVR Series 1 chipsets(PCX1/PCX2), and only under Win9x at that. Just a helpful pointer if you want to enjoy the graphical benefits, even though it involves the installation of old, outdated hardware.