epox ep3-vsa2 motherboard
512mb ram
160gb ide disk
ide dvd rom
creative nvidia geforce 2 ti 64mb
generic floppy disk
awe 64 soundblaster.

my gf2 ti died a few days ago.
after a lot of search, i found a cheap agp leadtek 6600gt and i replace my burned card.
and my problems began.....

i have to use only 77.72 edition driver because above that i have the famous shutdown glitch.

the main problem i have is with some games when choosing d3d option instead of hardware accelaration.
some of those games are crashing some of them become totally unresponsive with 1 to 2 fps movement.
note that the geforce 2 ti was working like a charm with d3d setting on current games with 45.23 drivers.

do we have a solution?

thanks a lot!!

Reply 1 of 2, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

my 6600gt 256mb running windows me likes to glitch on shut down my driver version 66.97 i think
Windows 98 SE Shutdown Issue With The Last NVidia Driver <---- shows a solution and version 77.72 driver seems to be the "reliable" one but theres plenty to try.
EDIT: I am using version 81.98 with patches successfully on windows millennium now, that doesn't have the dos options. Instead, I have a boot to dos entry in boot menu.
for windows 98se I recommend installing autopatcher 97 it has a tweak program to optimise memory/cache settings according to system memory. It improves stability of gpu as agp arpeture can chew swapfile without need as in my case I have 2 gig memory in xms so my system has conservative swapfile enabled (use physical before virtual).

Last edited by zapbuzz on 2021-08-20, 17:07. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 2, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GeForce cards with PCIe-AGP bridge could work unreliably with old chipsets, especially if it's 440BX or any old VIA. Heck, I can't properly boot Windows on KT333 with that bloody thing. All while native AGP cards like GeForce 6800 are trouble free.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.