VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
managed someone get working Dungeon Keeper 2 on Windows 10 especially on Nvidia cards?

Im stuck at blackscreen and not responding process, which i have to kill.

I searched a lot, tried lots of "fixes" mainly game registry settings.. command line parameters, but its always same on my setup with Nvidia Geforce 1070 process is not responding..
I tried also add dgVoodoo files, compatibility mode and other classic tricks, but its the same.
I tried to force Window mode, but game is always starting in fullscreen.

I read that that for someone was working to disable DX HW acceleration.. thought some 3rd party tool, which is disabling it even in Windows 10.. But it seems as half fix at best.

I thing that it need some proper unofficial patch, than these workaround.. i wonder is someone is able to make it working with Windows 10.. and if yes, if he is using ATI or Nvidia cards, also if it is better on Windows 7 64bit.

Im using GOG version, which claims to have some additional patches, but they are classic GoG quality.. i thing if game would have proper patch, that it would be already on the Steam, which has usually high quality requirements..

Is someone here able to debug it and tell why this starting black screen stuck even occurs?

Last edited by ruthan on 2021-03-21, 21:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 1 of 71, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When does this black screen occur?

Works here with my retail copy on Windows 10 20H2 with my 1080TI v21.21.14.6140 1/22/2021
v1.70 (with CD crack) or Unofficial v1.73 patch (includes cracked exe)
Windows XP Compatibility mode (otherwise game doesn't load)
Works with or without dgVoodoo2_73

You can also use the General Improvement Mod which doesn't appear to need XP Compatibility mode.

Also don't forget about the following for changing options:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Bullfrog Productions Ltd\Dungeon Keeper II\Configuration\Video

You can also try changing Screen Mode type to 2.

Update text for DK2 v1.73 […]
Show full quote

Update text for DK2 v1.73

This is an unofficial update to Dungeon Keeper 2. We cannot guarantee that
Savegames from earlier versions of DK2 will work with this version.

NOTE: Version 1.7 must be installed for this update

CHANGELOG:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version 1.73
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Fixed a problem with asynchronization in some maps

Version 1.72
- The game can now be played without the CD
- Fixed a problem with Safedisk
- The standart screen depth is now 32-bit

Version 1.71
- Fixed a problem with QSound
- Fixed a problem with different user programs
- Fixed a problem in the chat-lobby, users with different language-versions of DK2 can
now chat with each other
- No more lags in the DK2 menu
- The maps 'Furnace' and 'Olympia' are now compatible to each player
- In some campaign-levels there couldn't attract Goblins, Fireflys. Rogues,
Black Knights and Dark Angels, now this creatures are available

KNOWN BUGS (not fixed yet):

- The game crashes if one player use TAB to chat
- The game crashes if one players goldreserve goes under 0
- The game crashes if one player presses Space, ESC or go out of the game when he
is defeated
- The AI have problems dropping creatures with the 'Hand of Evil'
- When a player goes while DK2 is running to the desktop, Hardware-Accrelation will
automatically deactivated
- When a campaign-level is ended the game crashes sometimes when Space or
ESC was pressed
- Some campaign-levels does not end
- The Game can crash, when you restart a game

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 71, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The GOG version and dgVoodoo doesn't get along here, but without dgVoodoo it works fine with compatibility mode.

As DosFreak said, retail version works fine with dgVoodoo.

That said, I thought the 1.70 patch was bad? Something about breaking AI?

Reply 4 of 71, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Deleted post. Has nothing to do with op post.

managed someone get working Dungeon Keeper 2 on Windows 10 especially on Nvidia cards?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 71, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This isn't Marvin. How is suggesting games through emulation not relevant for getting them to work on Windows 10? It is also one of the many possible ways, and for this one, not even a CD crack is required.

Reply 8 of 71, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kjliew wrote on 2021-03-15, 01:59:

This isn't Marvin. How is suggesting games through emulation not relevant for getting them to work on Windows 10? It is also one of the many possible ways, and for this one, not even a CD crack is required.

This is "Windows" on Windows - running native is first priority, emulation comes second 😉

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 71, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ruthan wrote on 2021-03-14, 18:22:
Hello, managed someone get working Dungeon Keeper 2 on Windows 10 especially on Nvidia cards? […]
Show full quote

Hello,

Im stuck at blackscreen and not responding process, which i have to kill.

I searched a lot, tried lots of "fixes" mainly game registry settings.. command line parameters, but its always same on my setup with Nvidia Geforce 1070 process is not responding..
I tried also add dgVoodoo files, compatibility mode and other classic tricks, but its the same.
I tried to force Window mode, but game is always starting in fullscreen.

I read that that for someone was working to disable DX HW acceleration.. thought some 3rd party tool, which is disabling it even in Windows 10.. But it seems as half fix at best.

I thing that it need some proper unofficial patch, than these workaround.. i wonder is someone is able to make it working with Windows 10.. and if yes, if he is using ATI or Nvidia cards, also if it is better on Windows 7 64bit.

Im using GOG version, which claims to have some additional patches, but they are classic GoG quality.. i thing if game would have proper patch, that it would be already on the Steam, which has usually high quality requirements..

Is someone here able to debug it and tell why this starting black screen stuck even occurs?

How old are your drivers? I remember some pre 400 drivers having compatibility issues with old games. If you are not using compatibility settings for Windows XP, you should try that out first. Also you could try renaming the main executable 'DKII.exe' to something else and then run it, because Windows starts applying its backward compatibility patches.

And as DosFreak said, you also need the 1.7 patch with a crack, if it isn't provided in the GOG version.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 10 of 71, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for replies, but still nothing.

When does this black screen occur?

Right after start, no logo etc. When i start Task manager to shut it down, im also without mouse cursor.

You can also use the General Improvement Mod which doesn't appear to need XP Compatibility mode.

I already tried it, no change.

You can also try changing Screen Mode type to 2.

No change.

Windows XP Compatibility mode (otherwise game doesn't load

Tried XP2 and XP3 no change.

How old are your drivers? I remember some pre 400 drivers having compatibility issues with old games.

461.xx . Geforce 1070.

I have 3 monitors setup - 3x 2560x1440 @ 144.. i dont thing that it has effect. I turned off Display Fusion utility all, overlays.

Also you could try renaming the main executable 'DKII.exe' to something else and then run it, because Windows starts applying its backward compatibility patches.

No effect.

I also checked event log - nothing there.

There are all my Video registry keys..
RegKeys.png
Filename
RegKeys.png
File size
61.5 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I searched whole registry for that D3D Device Guid - 84E63DE0-46AA-11CF-816F-0000C020156E , but i found it only in DK2 video. Maybe it could be problem, where to get new GUID?
Update: I find the way how to discover right guid.. https://superuser.com/questions/166965/how-ca … graphics-device , but also no change.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 11 of 71, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That 1.73 patch is probably something unofficial, or well hidden, so far i found only 1.7.0 - official and 1.8.0 unofficial.

Reply 13 of 71, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried to experiment with retail version image - if it would be solution, i installed it fine in WIndows 10 from cd through setup.exe , but i have problem to install 1.3.0 to 1.7.0 patch in WIndows 10, is patching within Win 10 working for it.
Maybe i have bad image file, but i doubt it..

DK2Patching.png
Filename
DK2Patching.png
File size
18.55 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 14 of 71, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ruthan wrote on 2021-03-15, 06:06:

That 1.73 patch is probably something unofficial, or well hidden, so far i found only 1.7.0 - official and 1.8.0 unofficial.

1.7 is the last official version. This version works on Windows 10

ruthan wrote on 2021-03-15, 08:31:

I tried to experiment with retail version image - if it would be solution, i installed it fine in WIndows 10 from cd through setup.exe , but i have problem to install 1.3.0 to 1.7.0 patch in WIndows 10, is patching within Win 10 working for it.
Maybe i have bad image file, but i doubt it..

DK2Patching.png

As far as I remember, you need to directly patch from original release version to 1.7 and then put the crack.

Reply 15 of 71, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally managed to update retail installation - problem with updating could be Avira antivirus.. and used no cd patch, but problem is the same as with Gog version.. black screen.

Reply 16 of 71, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I find in Event log some ntdll.dll error:
Faulting application name: DKII.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x63732172
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.1350, time stamp: 0x499d07f2
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0004f925
Faulting process id: 0x66c8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d719bd46403f95
Faulting application path: D:\Games\Dungeon Keeper 2 retail\DKII.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: d694c203-cbe7-41c8-8258-ade76cae6166

Reply 17 of 71, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ruthan wrote on 2021-03-15, 17:25:
I find in Event log some ntdll.dll error: Faulting application name: DKII.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x63732172 Faulting […]
Show full quote

I find in Event log some ntdll.dll error:
Faulting application name: DKII.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x63732172
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.1350, time stamp: 0x499d07f2
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0004f925
Faulting process id: 0x66c8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d719bd46403f95
Faulting application path: D:\Games\Dungeon Keeper 2 retail\DKII.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: d694c203-cbe7-41c8-8258-ade76cae6166

The only thing I remember from you mentioning a antivirus is, have you tried disabling and running it. If it doesn't work, look out for what other softwares you have and try uninstalling them one by one and run.

If you don't want to take this route, just for once you could install Windows 10 with the drivers on a VM with the Windows version your PC is using.

Ntdll.dll only crashes for me in cases another software is conflicting. Sometimes they are caused by drivers but the percentage is negligible with the current hardwares

Reply 18 of 71, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try deleting Data/Movies/* to rule out movies being the issue (and make sure it can't find them on the CD either).

Also if anyone wants to play the GOG version with dgVoodoo, apparently patch.dll is their ddraw.dll wrapper, so just rename dgVoodoo's ddraw.dll to patch.dll.

Reply 19 of 71, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2021-03-15, 18:26:

The only thing I remember from you mentioning a antivirus is, have you tried disabling and running it. If it doesn't work, look out for what other software you have and try uninstalling them one by one and run.

I have no means to offend and I am sorry to say that. This is just the same lame solution one would often get from the workplace IT tech support or the so-called *super-whatever* squads from local big name brick-and-mortar stores. 🤣 Their next favorite is "re-imaging your OS". Whenever I got those type of answers, it just means "the folks don't know anything, I'd better find my own solution and stop wasting my time on them."

Old Windows games ended up in "black screen" and "process not responding" happened all the time on me, too, especially those DirectDraw/Direct3D games from 1997-2002. I still want to play those games and I was really tired of hunting for real solutions. Some might work and some might not, some were lucky to have fans' made after-life revitalization, source ports and remakes for modern Windows, some might not, YMMV. Windows 10 was really a different beast and continue evolving. I never had that many frustration of running old Windows games on Windows 7 even on x64 version.

I had always dream of playing those 1997-2002 Windows games with VM. DOSBox had fulfilled my dream for DOS games. **CENSORED**