VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 71, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kjliew wrote on 2021-03-16, 00:34:
I have no means to offend and I am sorry to say that. This is just the same lame solution one would often get from the workplace […]
Show full quote
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2021-03-15, 18:26:

The only thing I remember from you mentioning a antivirus is, have you tried disabling and running it. If it doesn't work, look out for what other software you have and try uninstalling them one by one and run.

I have no means to offend and I am sorry to say that. This is just the same lame solution one would often get from the workplace IT tech support or the so-called *super-whatever* squads from local big name brick-and-mortar stores. 🤣 Their next favorite is "re-imaging your OS". Whenever I got those type of answers, it just means "the folks don't know anything, I'd better find my own solution and stop wasting my time on them."

Old Windows games ended up in "black screen" and "process not responding" happened all the time on me, too, especially those DirectDraw/Direct3D games from 1997-2002. I still want to play those games and I was really tired of hunting for real solutions. Some might work and some might not, some were lucky to have fans' made after-life revitalization, source ports and remakes for modern Windows, some might not, YMMV. Windows 10 was really a different beast and continue evolving. I never had that many frustration of running old Windows games on Windows 7 even on x64 version.

I had always dream of playing those 1997-2002 Windows games with VM. DOSBox had fulfilled my dream for DOS games. **CENSORED**

No you do mean to offend and you are not sorry.
AV requires submission to the AV companies for false positives, if you don't do that then you need exclusions if it isn't working or if performance is reduced. This happens a lot in the business world, not so much for games.
For Dungeon Keeper 2 I didn't have to make any exclusions in Defender Antivirus or Exploit Protection in 20H1 on a Ryzen 3950x but I didn't patch the game in Windows 10 since I already had installed and patched the game years ago. Adding the exclusion in Defender AV as well as Exploit Protection (or temporarily disabling both) is a good idea.

Everyone here knows about your preferences because you litter every thread with it. I've already told you to start your own thread for games in your custom build.

For anyone wondering I don't use **CENSORED**, that's his own craziness.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2021-03-16, 02:02. Edited 8 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 21 of 71, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ruthan wrote on 2021-03-15, 17:25:
I find in Event log some ntdll.dll error: Faulting application name: DKII.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x63732172 Faulting […]
Show full quote

I find in Event log some ntdll.dll error:
Faulting application name: DKII.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x63732172
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.1350, time stamp: 0x499d07f2
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0004f925
Faulting process id: 0x66c8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d719bd46403f95
Faulting application path: D:\Games\Dungeon Keeper 2 retail\DKII.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: d694c203-cbe7-41c8-8258-ade76cae6166

I doubt this will resolve it but there has been alot of builds since 1903
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history

The only "black screen" I experience is if I don't use XP Compatibility mode. If I don't then when I click the executable it switches resolution which shows a black screen and then drops to desktop. Is this your behavior? If it goes to a permanent black screen then something weird is going on. Does the error you mentioned occur every time this black screen occurs?
It's possible the NOCD you are using doesn't work but you said the General Improvement Mod didn't work either...... The NOCD I used for vanilla v1.70 was released by AZRAEL 7/23/2000.
Have you tried Dependency Walker?

Probably next thing to try would be a dump
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win3 … user-mode-dumps

Attached unofficial v1.73 (v1.70 must be installed first)

Attachments

• Filename
    DKII_173.zip
    File size
    1.54 MiB
    Downloads
    85 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 22 of 71, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2021-03-16, 01:03:

No you do mean to offend and you are not sorry.

Man, that's just your own opinion, but I can't really help if anyone insisted.

Everyone here knows about your preferences because you litter every thread with it. I've already told you to start your own thread for games in your custom build.

Since this is not Marvin, "Emulation comes second". I am not a Master of English language, but that does not sound like irrelevant. It is up to OP to take the plunge if he wished to go the VM route. What harm could it be for anyone to know about capabilities of modern emulation? The action of bluntly deleting threads more seems like abusing the rights to moderate this forum, or those who really felt like rubbing something to one's face .... 🤣 (I am sorry ...)

For anyone wondering I don't use **CENSORED**, that's his own craziness.

Yes, he's right. It's just my self-imposed humors & humility. Don't panic 😁

Reply 23 of 71, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2021-03-15, 19:07:

Try deleting Data/Movies/* to rule out movies being the issue (and make sure it can't find them on the CD either).

I just checked and there is not such folder, its only on cd, so if not overlooked some installation types.. you maybe have to copy some additional files from cd to game folder to make no cd working. I tried to copy files there but no change. My game folder after patching has ~280 MB.

I had always dream of playing those 1997-2002 Windows games with VM. DOSBox had fulfilled my dream for DOS games. **CENSORED**

If it is once on Gog it make sense to make it working, because Gog is not supporting older OS than Win7.. converting their releases to older OSes is time consuming and retail releases are harder to get, more expensive etc..

Im still on 1909, because so upgrade issues.

The only "black screen" I experience is if I don't use XP Compatibility mode. If I don't then when I click the executable it switches resolution which shows a black screen and then drops to desktop. Is this your behavior? If it goes to a permanent black screen then something weird is going on. Does the error you mentioned occur every time this black screen occurs?

Yeah, im stuck on black screen.. Only i f i try to force window mode through registry im seeing some white window creation, blink, window close.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 24 of 71, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kjliew wrote on 2021-03-16, 00:34:
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2021-03-15, 18:26:

The only thing I remember from you mentioning a antivirus is, have you tried disabling and running it. If it doesn't work, look out for what other software you have and try uninstalling them one by one and run.

I have no means to offend and I am sorry to say that. This is just the same lame solution one would often get from the workplace IT tech support or the so-called *super-whatever* squads from local big name brick-and-mortar stores. 🤣 Their next favorite is "re-imaging your OS". Whenever I got those type of answers, it just means "the folks don't know anything, I'd better find my own solution and stop wasting my time on them."

To be honest, running the game on a untouched VM is easier than running it on 'QEMU' or finding for solutions regarding "ntdll.dll crashing" in the 10th page of the search engine. He actually wanted solution but not an advice .🤣

DosFreak wrote on 2021-03-16, 01:22:
I doubt this will resolve it but there has been alot of builds since 1903 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_his […]
Show full quote
ruthan wrote on 2021-03-15, 17:25:
I find in Event log some ntdll.dll error: Faulting application name: DKII.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x63732172 Faulting […]
Show full quote

I find in Event log some ntdll.dll error:
Faulting application name: DKII.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x63732172
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.1350, time stamp: 0x499d07f2
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0004f925
Faulting process id: 0x66c8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d719bd46403f95
Faulting application path: D:\Games\Dungeon Keeper 2 retail\DKII.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: d694c203-cbe7-41c8-8258-ade76cae6166

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history

It's possible the NOCD you are using doesn't work but you said the General Improvement Mod didn't work either...... The NOCD I used for vanilla v1.70 was released by AZRAEL 7/23/2000.

Probably next thing to try would be a dump
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win3 … user-mode-dumps

Attached unofficial v1.73 (v1.70 must be installed first)

I tried the game with the GOG release. The executable had set "Run this program as an administrator" and "Override high DPI Scaling behaviour.- Application". The game doesn't need any kind of compatibility OS settings in the GOG release, it does as you mentioned in the retail version. The GOG version also uses version 1.7

The other thing I can recommend is to check for wait chains in the process.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 25 of 71, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, i only can tell that is probably problem of my super special setup, when you look and Gog forum, there is lots of people with black screen problem.. only part of them, claim that find solution. Part of them just fixed it by registry values changes, some of them by disabling DirectX acceleration what is not good solution..

Other solution suppose to be limit process to use only 1 cpu, but i cant find such settings in Win10 - i have 8 cores + HT.

No, too lowlevel magic for me.. never messed with it.

Update:

I tried the game with the GOG release. The executable had set "Run this program as an administrator" and "Override high DPI Scaling behaviour.- Application". The game doesn't need any kind of compatibility OS settings in the GOG release, it does as you mentioned in the retail version. The GOG version also uses version 1.7

I tried same thing, no change.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 26 of 71, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2021-03-16, 05:01:

To be honest, running the game on a untouched VM is easier than running it on 'QEMU' or finding for solutions regarding "ntdll.dll crashing" in the 10th page of the search engine. He actually wanted solution but not an advice .🤣

Then be my guest and feel free to show him how you can run the game on a "untouched VM" when you thought it is easier. Don't just say it and leave the poor OP in the cold. Be very specific about which VM, is it VirtualBox, VMware, Parallels or something you know that we don't.

Reply 27 of 71, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kjliew wrote on 2021-03-16, 05:26:

Then be my guest and feel free to show him how you can run the game on a "untouched VM" when you thought it is easier. Don't just say it and leave the poor OP in the cold. Be very specific about which VM, is it VirtualBox, VMware, Parallels or something you know that we don't.

This and the other messages will probably get to deleted it, but hopefully you get a chance to read this first.

Your build of QEMU is really neat, and maybe you are frustrated that more people don't see it. The problem is that it is poorly documented. You have a ton of build dependencies and it doesn't look like much fun trying to figure out what is missing from your build guide + setup. You aren't trying to get it into the master of any other established branch and you want 60$ for binaries. I don't know how to use it, and I don't think anybody else does either. It's too hard. Make it easier.

Reply 28 of 71, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-03-16, 05:47:

Your build of QEMU is really neat, and maybe you are frustrated that more people don't see it. The problem is that it is poorly documented. You have a ton of build dependencies and it doesn't look like much fun trying to figure out what is missing from your build guide + setup. You aren't trying to get it into the master of any other established branch and you want 60$ for binaries. I don't know how to use it, and I don't think anybody else does either. It's too hard. Make it easier.

First, I would like to thank you for your compliment. QEMU is GPL'ed FOSS-certified free software. It is not my creation. If it deems too difficult to use, then obviously one would avoid it and find other alternatives, or just play other games. That's totally fine with me. I GPL'ed and released all my work into the public, that's about all I would do with my time. The donation pledge is to support my work, not something for sale as of GoG and Steam. In return I will try my best to support the games one elected. If one had troubles with build dependencies, setting up VMs or the archaic CLI of QEMU, then I am sorry that I have no plan to spend my time on those.

Let's just keep this simple for now since this is OT. Those interested to support my work can always email/message me privately.

Reply 29 of 71, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ruthan wrote on 2021-03-16, 05:11:

Hmm, i only can tell that is probably problem of my super special setup, when you look and Gog forum, there is lots of people with black screen problem.. only part of them, claim that find solution. Part of them just fixed it by registry values changes, some of them by disabling DirectX acceleration what is not good solution..

Other solution suppose to be limit process to use only 1 cpu, but i cant find such settings in Win10 - i have 8 cores + HT.

Open any text editor, and enter the following and save the file with extension '.bat'

Notepad Text

start /affinity 1 dkii-dx.exe

Try on a VM with the following setting if this one doesn't work, or you don't want to reinstall Windows. Something in Windows is conflicting with the game or some update caused some corruption we don't know. If you do reinstall Windows, then before installing any apps, install the games. The only time a similar problem happened with me was with the manufacturer's USB audio driver and software, it would crash NFS1 for me.

VMware 15
Windows 10 20H2 64-bit
VMware tools Driver version 11.0
4GB RAM
2 CPU Cores
Enable Accelerate 3D graphics
1GB VRAM
Intel VT-x/AMD-V enabled

mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-03-16, 05:47:

This and the other messages will probably get to deleted it, but hopefully you get a chance to read this first.

The problem is that it is poorly documented. It's too hard. Make it easier.

That's what I meant. Setting up QEMU is difficult in comparing to installing Windows. He wanted to keep things simple, and thus I am unsure if he knows how to setup QEMU properly. Nobody here knows what problem he is having. So I recommended him to try on a VM, which is the easiest solution I have. At least he can see if version 1909 has any compatibility issue with DKII or it is his CPU (least case) or it is his main OS.

I never meant to underestimate QEMU or your work but it is similarly a disrespect to me if you discourage me to confess my findings in VM systems.

Last edited by BEEN_Nath_58 on 2021-03-16, 08:49. Edited 1 time in total.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 30 of 71, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2021-03-16, 08:18:
VMware 15 Windows 10 20H2 64-bit (as Guest OS) VMware tools Driver version 11.0 4GB RAM 2 CPU Cores Enable Accelerate 3D graphic […]
Show full quote

VMware 15
Windows 10 20H2 64-bit (as Guest OS)
VMware tools Driver version 11.0
4GB RAM
2 CPU Cores
Enable Accelerate 3D graphics
1GB VRAM
Intel VT-x/AMD-V enabled

This is so cool, I made a slight correction on your behalf. The OP is also very experienced in VMware, I am sure he will find it very helpful.
Have you tried it yourself?
If you did, then why don't you also show a screenshot of the game's "Graphics Option"?

Reply 32 of 71, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Open any text editor, and enter the following and save the file with extension '.bat'

Thanks, this is also not solution.

Otherwise im sure that, it could be run in virtual machine or with other older machines.. but point thread should be make it run in Win10.
I checked that i made it working Gog Version even in the past on my GPD Win2 (Win10+Intel HD), now i would like to run it on my main machine in Win10..

Reply 33 of 71, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try this:
Disable graphics card in device manager to enable WARP
If testing retail copy verify XP SP2 compatibily mode is enabled
Copy dgvoodoo dlls to same directory as game exe
Launch game

You can activate warp directly in dgvoodoo without disabling your graphics card but try the above for troubleshooting.

If that doesn't works then best bet would be to try the dump and see what it's erroring out on.

Reply 34 of 71, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Disable graphics card in device manager to enable WARP
If testing retail copy verify XP SP2 compatibily mode is enabled
Copy dgvoodoo dlls to same directory as game exe

Still the same.. after disabling videocard, only 1 monitor worked - so its not probably error with multi monitor setup.. I also tried to rename dgvoodoo ddraw to patch.dll, again same problem.

Reply 36 of 71, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About Dependency walker - i tried x86 a x64 version, i understand it correctly you just open *.exe and some tree should show - im not getting anything just not responsding. In description is that is working up to Windows 8, nothing about Windows 10.

Did you try DDrawCompat or aqrit's ddwrapper?

I tried DdrawCompat no change..
I know its black screen, but we be have any clue, that problem is draphics API related? Lots of things would be initialized during game start.. in other hand, at least on Intel HD it is working.
About sound - im using classic Realtek HD codec, so it should be same as on GPD Win 2.. the most common codec now.
I also tried disconnect X360 controller.

I thing that we really need some real clue or debug steps, otherwise all typical guessing and fixes is not working, its not simple, when i started the thread i hoped in some quick fix. Some reports from other people (include reg setting export) would also help.

Reply 37 of 71, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is process dump file (Created just by Task Manage - Create Dump file, after crash): // If someone know how to analyse it
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hkh9m8yjlkgoz1y/DKII-DX.zip?dl=0

Reply 38 of 71, by Narzoul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote on 2021-03-16, 13:25:

Here is process dump file (Created just by Task Manage - Create Dump file, after crash): // If someone know how to analyse it
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hkh9m8yjlkgoz1y/DKII-DX.zip?dl=0

The main thread seems to be stuck in a3dapi.dll, so I'd start there. It seems to be some kind of sound driver. I found this old troubleshooting guide that mentions it:
ftp://134.249.172.210/Obraz/Games/DungeonKeep … bleshooting.doc

It says:
"Question: Using –nosound seems to fix my problem, but I’d like sound back! I have an Aureal-based Sound card and I get a popping noise in Dungeon Keeper 2. Also, the game sometimes crashes.

Answer: You can find new drivers for your card here. Important Note: Before updating your Aureal drivers, please make sure that you do not have a file called A3DAPI.dll stored in your Keeper folder. If you come across it, delete it before proceeding to update. Then uninstall your existing Aureal drivers and install the new drivers."

So I'd recommend trying the -nosound command line parameter first to see if it fixes the problem.

Reply 39 of 71, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks.. i dont have any a3dapi.dll in my directory (what seems to be right by answer bellow).. only Aweman32.dll,QMIXER.DLL,dplayerx.dll and SFMAN32.DLL which could be sound related.
I searched whole c drive is this library is here (there is this file in SysWoW64 folder). Nothing in whole game folder, but it be packed inside some other files. Old sound APIs problem could be similar to old graphical apies.

I created shortcut for main exe and added -nosound parameter, but its still the same, so it doesnt help, or there are more similar problems.. There is new dump where -nosound is used:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3dfoqkj7igp91c3/DKI … osound.zip?dl=0

Some ideas:
- As on all ne machines, i have some HDMI sound devices from videocard + tv tuner,webcam, Steam streaming and Xsplot virtual sound devices.

are also similar to Video, Sound registry folder..
DK2soundSettings.png
Filename
DK2soundSettings.png
File size
65.22 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0