VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Red Storm's Rainbow Six has transparency issues in modern hardware. According to YouTube history, the oldest videos also show that the game had problems then (circa 2008). The game has problem in glass, ground grass, path sideways, trees, grill(all these in mission 1), wall(in mission 2). Using DxWnd and DDrawCompat(thanks to dippy-dipper to re-remind me) I got the game to run completely fine, except the grill of the building's boundary is missing and the tree behind the playing area is less grassy. gho is out of ideas(he is planning to colour the textures but there may be many more later down the game in other missions) and I can't think of any thing more. Any ideas? Oh, and here's a comparison between my main PC and a Voodoo2 PC.

Attachments

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 2 of 7, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually the defaults are fine (card type that is, I've changed the resolution to 20x and enabled 16xAF):

RainbowSix 2021-06-16 00-45-09-92.jpg
Filename
File size
483.53 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

WineD3D has previously worked better (than Nvidia native) with games with color keying issues. It doesn't work for Rainbow Six on Windows 10, it might on Windows 7 (because of 16-bit color support).

Reply 3 of 7, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2021-06-15, 22:54:

Actually the defaults are fine (card type that is, I've changed the resolution to 20x and enabled 16xAF):
WineD3D has previously worked better (than Nvidia native) with games with color keying issues. It doesn't work for Rainbow Six on Windows 10, it might on Windows 7 (because of 16-bit color support).

Hooked WineD3D through DxWnd and it worked completely fine. Thank you for your suggestion, it didn't work earlier when I tested and crashed at loading, probably a crash for the configuration or the save.

Reply 4 of 7, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have no idea why WineD3D through DxWnd would work, or do anything. I tried it so I know it does, it just doesn't make any sense. dgVoodoo is the better option though (unless you need windowed mode, in which case dgVoodoo is a bit of a pain).

Reply 5 of 7, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2021-06-16, 23:19:

I have no idea why WineD3D through DxWnd would work, or do anything. I tried it so I know it does, it just doesn't make any sense. dgVoodoo is the better option though (unless you need windowed mode, in which case dgVoodoo is a bit of a pain).

dgVoodoo2 doesnt hook into DxWnd at least for this game. dgVoodoo2 works separately tho, but for th CD audio i need the new VCDA from DxWnd which can play it's sound properly.

Reply 6 of 7, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can use DxWnd's CD audio emulation without using any of its other features. Just change DirectX Version Hook from Automatic to None. Then DxWnd will let dgVoodoo do its own thing while it handles the CD audio emulation only.

Reply 7 of 7, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2021-06-17, 16:31:

You can use DxWnd's CD audio emulation without using any of its other features. Just change DirectX Version Hook from Automatic to None. Then DxWnd will let dgVoodoo do its own thing while it handles the CD audio emulation only.

Hadn't noticed it but it works fine, also gho was thinking of extra ordinary solutions(coloring the bitmaps) so he even forgot.

With this, I had to turn off "Correct mouse position" or the game achieves an infinite mouse spin. I just notice that DxWnd doesn't support hooking both of the wrappers and WineD3D was only working because it was in game directory. What you said is the ultimate solution.