Rank

Which old games have problem running in modern OS (W10)? I list some examples:

- Jane's ATF
- Jetfighter IV

Reply 3 of 21, by Speedwarrior956

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Rally Masters: Michelin Race Of Champions (updated to v3.2.)
Just won´t run on Windows 10/11 without its corresponding CD/ISO . Not even under Win 98/ME compatibility with administrative privileges enabled. #PleaseHelp

Reply 4 of 21, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not all that old, but I had issues with Manhunt. If I took out someone and picked up the body to hide, the game crashed every time I've put it down.
The retail version of Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones doesn't start because of the DRM (it was already an issue with W7 or maybe even Vista). Though there is a patch.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 5 of 21, by gedbag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

From my experience it's often games that have already been wonky on original hardware.

Examples:
- Interstate 76 (took endless patching in Win98 to get going, couldn't get it to run properly on a modern system)
- Shogo: Mobile Armor Division (several issues like missing HUD back in the day, nowadays seems to run with low performance for some reason and likes to hang on the menu)

Reply 6 of 21, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gedbag wrote on 2022-04-12, 06:06:
From my experience it's often games that have already been wonky on original hardware. […]
Show full quote

From my experience it's often games that have already been wonky on original hardware.

Examples:
- Interstate 76 (took endless patching in Win98 to get going, couldn't get it to run properly on a modern system)
- Shogo: Mobile Armor Division (several issues like missing HUD back in the day, nowadays seems to run with low performance for some reason and likes to hang on the menu)

You seem to have quite my opposite experience. Interstate 76 for me is one of the easiest old games to run on my Windows 10 turned Windows 11 system.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 7 of 21, by gedbag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-12, 06:49:
From my experience it's often games that have already been wonky on original hardware. […]
Show full quote

Examples:

You seem to have quite my opposite experience. Interstate 76 for me is one of the easiest old games to run on my Windows 10 turned Windows 11 system.

Really? Are you using any specific methods to get it running? I remember barely getting it running and when it did, having a bunch of issues. Though that was the GOG.com version which could have had its own set of issues.

Reply 8 of 21, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gedbag wrote on 2022-04-12, 07:11:
Show full quote

Examples:

Really? Are you using any specific methods to get it running? I remember barely getting it running and when it did, having a bunch of issues. Though that was the GOG.com version which could have had its own set of issues.

I use both the CD as well as the GOG version 2.1.0.17 and both run fine natively. On my AMD system, my CD version wouldn't start natively, so I would use DxWnd to fix the startup as well as the CD audio. Also GOG, in attempt to fix the CD audio, brought a fake fix instead. So I got to patching the GOG version too and it works.

Reply 9 of 21, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Speedwarrior956 wrote on 2022-04-12, 03:27:

Just won´t run on Windows 10/11 without its corresponding CD/ISO . Not even under Win 98/ME compatibility with administrative privileges enabled. #PleaseHelp

Probably the game needs a no-CD patch.

RandomStranger wrote on 2022-04-12, 05:18:

Not all that old, but I had issues with Manhunt. If I took out someone and picked up the body to hide, the game crashed every time I've put it down.
The retail version of Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones doesn't start because of the DRM (it was already an issue with W7 or maybe even Vista). Though there is a patch.

Hmm haven't heard Manhunt in a while. I will see if I can get a copy somewhere and test the compatibility.

Reply 10 of 21, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-12, 07:27:

Hmm haven't heard Manhunt in a while. I will see if I can get a copy somewhere and test the compatibility.

I was referring to the steam version. I haven't tried the CD version on anything newer than Vista.

Also just remembered I had this issue relating to anti-aliasing in the Steam version of Doom 3 RoE (original, not BFG):

https://youtu.be/ECUkfF4t22g

Very weird.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 11 of 21, by gedbag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-12, 07:15:
gedbag wrote on 2022-04-12, 07:11:

I use both the CD as well as the GOG version 2.1.0.17 and both run fine natively. On my AMD system, my CD version wouldn't start natively, so I would use DxWnd to fix the startup as well as the CD audio. Also GOG, in attempt to fix the CD audio, brought a fake fix instead. So I got to patching the GOG version too and it works.

That's interesting, I didn't know about DxWnd. I will need to try it out. Thanks!

Reply 12 of 21, by Speedwarrior956

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-12, 07:27:
Probably the game needs a no-CD patch. […]
Show full quote
Speedwarrior956 wrote on 2022-04-12, 03:27:

Probably the game needs a no-CD patch.

Tried that route, but the files that i´ve been sourcing seem to lack the executable component though.
EDIT: It appears that either the programmers or , maybe, the publisher included an additional application known as "Nomouse", which is practically incompatible with x64 versions of Windows, rendering the game as DOA or "Unrunnable" if you will.

Reply 13 of 21, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I always find games everyone else has no issues with do not run for me at all. Great example is Prince of Persia 3D I have never been able to get it to run well or consistently. Sometimes it will actually run then suddenly never run again.

"Never pay more than 20 dollars for a computer game" - Guybrush Threepwood

Reply 14 of 21, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Presbytier wrote on 2022-04-12, 12:43:

I always find games everyone else has no issues with do not run for me at all. Great example is Prince of Persia 3D I have never been able to get it to run well or consistently. Sometimes it will actually run then suddenly never run again.

Can you run the game with DxWnd and this profile? You'll need to set the game path in the profile through DxWnd and run by double clicking from the application.

Attachments

Reply 15 of 21, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Presbytier Probably this is the last piece of the puzzle you will need. You will need to use sdbinst to install this. If you don't know how, the follow me:

1. Extract the single pop3d.sdb file to your root c:\ drive
  2. Run CMD as an administrator.
  3. Type "cd c:\" without the quotations.
  4. Type "sdbinst.exe pop3d.sdb" without the quotations.

A confirmation box should appear notifying that the package is installed in CMD. Run the game, and the game might even be able to run without DxWnd as well. Hopefully one day, this might not even be needed and DxWnd does it automatically.

Attachments

Reply 16 of 21, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-13, 06:25:
@Presbytier Probably this is the last piece of the puzzle you will need. You will need to use sdbinst to install this. If you do […]
Show full quote

@Presbytier Probably this is the last piece of the puzzle you will need. You will need to use sdbinst to install this. If you don't know how, the follow me:

A confirmation box should appear notifying that the package is installed in CMD. Run the game, and the game might even be able to run without DxWnd as well. Hopefully one day, this might not even be needed and DxWnd does it automatically.

So, I did the two things you have here and like I can get to the main menu using dxwind or not, but the game crashes right after the opening movie

Reply 17 of 21, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Presbytier wrote on 2022-04-13, 14:50:
@Presbytier Probably this is the last piece of the puzzle you will need. You will need to use sdbinst to install this. If you do […]
Show full quote

So, I did the two things you have here and like I can get to the main menu using dxwind or not, but the game crashes right after the opening movie

Is your executable POP3D? is the cd2 inserted? Did you get a message "Installation of Prince of Persia 3D.... " message after installing the sdb file?

You might also want to check if there's 2 entries of Prince of Persia 3D in the control panel.

Reply 18 of 21, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-13, 15:56:
Show full quote

Is your executable POP3D? is the cd2 inserted? Did you get a message "Installation of Prince of Persia 3D.... " message after installing the sdb file?

You might also want to check if there's 2 entries of Prince of Persia 3D in the control panel.

Yeah I am not getting a CD error. I know it isn't that, and yes I got the instalation message. I am using the correct exe. I am not sure which control panle you are reffering too. If it is the DXwind one there is only one POP3D entry there.

Reply 19 of 21, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Presbytier wrote on 2022-04-13, 15:59:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-13, 15:56:

I am not sure which control panle you are reffering too.

Windows control panel. There should be two entries of Prince of Persia, one for the game installation and another for the sdb file installed. Also forgot to tell I use the v1.1 patch