VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Quest for Glory

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Been searching., but cant find any solution to my problem.

I got a P2, with Windows 2000 pro. I got a yamaha audician 32, and a Roland Mt-32.
I get the soundcard working with windows games, like Half Life etc, but not with old Sierra games. Does not show up when I run the Install.exe files.
How do I get the soundcard working with the old sierra games?
Is it possible with the Windows 2000, or do I need another OS?

Reply 1 of 5, by lafoxxx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another OS.
Windows 2000 isn't DOS-based, and uses NTVDM (NT Virtual DOS Machine) to run DOS applications. It's not possible to get actual sound card working in this environment, because it's basically connected to real PC, not to that Virtual DOS Machine, limiting you to whatever virtual hardware (some Sound Blaster?) Microsoft decided to add there.

Reply 2 of 5, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could perhaps consider setting up a a dual boot system with Windows 98SE & Windows 2000 Professional.
Windows 98SE is much more compatible with older DOS titles and you also have the option to boot directly into MS-DOS.
Just be aware that a P2 might be too fast for older DOS titles which means you have to use slow down utilities like Setmul.

Reply 3 of 5, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you talking about DOS games or Windows games? For DOS it will be necessary to go to at least WIN98 because it doesn't use NT VDM. If you are using Windows games, I would still say to use Windows 98, that game can have some compatibility issue with new os's driver thus not displaying the sound card.

For people who don't know, old Sierra games had a sound test that would play a music in case a sound card is detected, on Windows. What I can understand is, the detector doesn't work on old Sierra games with Win2K

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 4 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Use scummvm (windows 95 ver should work), dosbox, or vdmsound.
Also maybe soundfx but I never used it.
Also setup a dual boot with dos or 9x

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 5, by Quest for Glory

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thx for the tips!
Was hoping not needing to change the OS since all other drivers works so fine with the 2000.

If running dosbox, would there be any problem with installing drivers for my Yamaha soundcard? Not used dosbox for ages, so need to get it dummed down and made simple :p
How about MUNT? Do I need it in dosbox to use my Mt-32?