VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am playing a game that uses the WINMM API, visibly it has dependencies for more than playing music. On Windows 8 and later, the native WINMM causes the program to run extremely fast, too fast to be unplayable, even at 20FPS lock. The cause of this being WINMM was estimated when a proxy winmm.dll was used from a Windows XP installation that fixes the speed, but presenting input devices' problems. The issue doesn't exist until Windows 7, but the Windows 7 or Vista winmm.dll just crashes the application on my Windows 11 machine (tested on 10 and 8.1 too with same results) . In case community projects are available to fix this, it would be much appreciated if links are provided or if at least, mentions are made as to which WinMM functions are responsible for such speed/time related functions.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 2 of 2, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Peixoto wrote on 2021-12-27, 16:41:

timeGetTime is exported from winmm.dll. My program (buymeacofee/peixoto) has two options on the CPU tab that fix this kind of problem. What is the game ?

The game is the Windows ports of MechWarrior 2 (Pentium, Win95 Edition, Titanium Edition, Battlepack Edition). This problem manifests on Windows 8 and later. Let me know if you can try this game out, because it had never run on Windows 8+ because of exception errors, and thus requires DxWnd.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058