VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I am new here and already have a question (as always 😉 )

After I heard so many good things about the game "Beyond Good and Evil", I thought I try out the demo, which ran great on my computer and which I liked enough to buy a budget version of this game at the next software store.

But unfornately the full version reveals the problem, that especially in the cut scenes Video and Sound are not sychronous: The sound is normal, but the video is way too fast, so the cut scenes are unviewable.
I already installed DirectX 9.0c, the newest Graphic Card Drivers and the only available patch to the game.
On the support site of Ubi Soft [/url](strangely enough not on the English one), they suggest to force "Vsync" on, which I did, but changed nothing.

Just to test, if I changed anything in my configuration, I deinstalled the game and reinstalled the demo, which again ran great. (Strange, that the demo seem to have less bugs than the original game.)

Anyone has some ideas?
System: Notebook with Pentium-M 730 1.60GHz and ATI Radeon Mobile X600

Edit: Only removed a no longer working link

Last edited by Wintermute on 2006-12-04, 17:50. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there a binkw32.dll and/or smackw32.dll and/or mss32.dll file somewhere in the game's folders? If so, try copying the ones from the demo over the ones from the game. I see from RAD Game Tools' site that Bink was used in Beyond Good & Evil (probably for the cutscene movies)

I actually collect various versions of these files so that I can make a game use the newest version that works with it if I have problems: Re: Miles Sound System and why Snover hates it

Reply 2 of 7, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the answer.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. I exchanged the bink32.dll with that one from the demo (which seemed to be the same - regarding the size) and had the same results.
Just for curiosity, I used some dll's from other games as well. Some just gave error messages, but none really solved the problem. The original one seem to be the same as the one from "Broken Sword III", which runs fine.

I am not sure, why this game uses Bink anyway, since, as far as I have played into the demo, there are no real video clips. The cutscenes are actually made with the ingame 3D engine.
I guess I'll have to return the game to the software dealer. *Sigh*

Reply 3 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could try playing around with Video/Sound acceleration...might help.
Also adjusting PCI latency may have an effect.
Also with VSYNC ON try changing your refresh rate to a lower value.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 7, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for all the answers, got again some time to play around with this game, without success though - so software dealer it is, I guess...

DosFreak wrote:

You could try playing around with Video/Sound acceleration...might help.

I played around with all these settings, Video acceleration can't be lowered very much though, otherwise the game doesn't even start.

Also adjusting PCI latency may have an effect.

This is a new one for me. Could you please explain, what I have to do.

Also with VSYNC ON try changing your refresh rate to a lower value.

Unfortunately this is not possible: since I have a notebook the refresh rate is fixed to 60 Hz. Maybe this is the problem for all this trouble in the first plase, although neither the demo nor any other games showed any problems with it.

Reply 6 of 7, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Over one year later 😉 :

By accident I stumbled over this forum page explaining the problem I had with this game and its solution:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4011 … 32/m/8431077423

I rebought the game (really cheap nowadays - only 6 Euros) and tried it out:
The solution really works!!!

It seems that laptops become more and more common these days so more people are experiencing this problem, that "Beyond Good And Evil" is not capable of dealing with varying processor speeds and therefore plays video and audio out of sync.