VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm impressed with the compatibility but if they developed it like dosbox and strictly for games then maybe it would have been successful for games that would be self contained packages

I am I

Reply 1 of 10, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ReactOS is not ready for anything much yet, except testing of course.
I would say; that is my opinion, but it is generally the developers opinion as well.

Sound improved a bit some months ago, but midi got borked again.
Memory manager is in a state of overhaul.
Things like that.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 2 of 10, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The target for ReactOS was to be a proper OS, not an emulator for running games.
In my opinion it has failed after all these years to deliver even a minimum stable environment, but that's another topic and has nothing to do with the initial aim.

Reply 3 of 10, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ReactOS aims to be 100% compatible with Windows, doesn't it? Is it planned to have any advantages over Windows (other than presumably ReactOS being free to the end user), such as running faster, or better compatibility options for backwards compatibility?

Reply 4 of 10, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kerr Avon wrote on 2022-05-16, 11:57:

ReactOS aims to be 100% compatible with Windows, doesn't it? Is it planned to have any advantages over Windows (other than presumably ReactOS being free to the end user), such as running faster, or better compatibility options for backwards compatibility?

It hasn't reached either of them. It slowly is trying to reach there, but that's a long path ahead. The last time I tried, it wasn't able to run MIDI. Some popular office applications and media applications worked fine though. Probably they should look into the leaked Microsoft stuffs and create something inspired by it which may make their work significantly faster.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 6 of 10, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The ReactOS Devs said "NO! NO! NO!" to using the leaked Microsoft source, specifically the XP code that was part of the leak. If you have looked at the leaked code or have a copy of it or have had any ties to Microsoft or their contract developers, you are asked not to contribute anything to the project and anyone found to have been using the leaked code or anything from Microsoft to inform their work on the project will be permanently banned and their work stricken from the codebase. You will be blocked/banned from their social media and forums if you so much as suggest the idea or try to discuss it.

As for gaming, it's making great progress in that area, but it's currently intended more for the 98/XP Direct3D games than the 3.1/95 ones that people here would play.

Here's some HL1 on the recent build.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcP9PlS57BM

Reply 7 of 10, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2022-05-16, 13:21:
The ReactOS Devs said "NO! NO! NO!" to using the leaked Microsoft source, specifically the XP code that was part of the leak. If […]
Show full quote

The ReactOS Devs said "NO! NO! NO!" to using the leaked Microsoft source, specifically the XP code that was part of the leak. If you have looked at the leaked code or have a copy of it or have had any ties to Microsoft or their contract developers, you are asked not to contribute anything to the project and anyone found to have been using the leaked code or anything from Microsoft to inform their work on the project will be permanently banned and their work stricken from the codebase. You will be blocked/banned from their social media and forums if you so much as suggest the idea or try to discuss it.

As for gaming, it's making great progress in that area, but it's currently intended more for the 98/XP Direct3D games than the 3.1/95 ones that people here would play.

Devs don't have to use their code either. They won't last a week with their product if they use. In case they have it,
probably they have lessons to learn and have similar things to implement. This won't be copying and I don't see why it should be illegal. Of course I shouldn't be discussing but it's just what I felt.

Reply 8 of 10, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-05-16, 13:34:
The ReactOS Devs said "NO! NO! NO!" to using the leaked Microsoft source, specifically the XP code that was part of the leak. If […]
Show full quote

Devs don't have to use their code either. They won't last a week with their product if they use. In case they have it,
probably they have lessons to learn and have similar things to implement. This won't be copying and I don't see why it should be illegal. Of course I shouldn't be discussing but it's just what I felt.

Simply having a copy of the leaked code is very much illegal. Microsoft didn't give permission for it to be out there so no one has a license that permits them to have it. At a minimum its copyright infringement.

The problem here is Microsoft probably won't really appreciate a compatible windows clone that people could just use for free instead of paying for real Windows. And Microsoft has an awful lot of money to spend on lawyers to stop such a thing from ever happening. If they don't want to have the project shut down playing by the rules is very important. The last thing the project needs is Microsoft accusing them of using stolen code.

Whether the Microsoft of today would sue I have no idea. Certainly there was a time when they would have. Back when they were calling Linux a cancer and actively spreading FUD about open-source software.

Reply 9 of 10, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
davidrg wrote on 2022-05-16, 20:23:
Simply having a copy of the leaked code is very much illegal. Microsoft didn't give permission for it to be out there so no one […]
Show full quote
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-05-16, 13:34:
Show full quote

Simply having a copy of the leaked code is very much illegal. Microsoft didn't give permission for it to be out there so no one has a license that permits them to have it. At a minimum its copyright infringement.

The problem here is Microsoft probably won't really appreciate a compatible windows clone that people could just use for free instead of paying for real Windows. And Microsoft has an awful lot of money to spend on lawyers to stop such a thing from ever happening. If they don't want to have the project shut down playing by the rules is very important. The last thing the project needs is Microsoft accusing them of using stolen code.

Whether the Microsoft of today would sue I have no idea. Certainly there was a time when they would have. Back when they were calling Linux a cancer and actively spreading FUD about open-source software.

I am pretty sure devs who have been working on a project for 24 years

1) Know about Microsoft's behaviour.
2) Know how to take care of MS code if they want to take help from there.

I am not connected with the ReactOS team so I can't tell about them. And even if you look at the source, it is as rare as a camellia japonica that you get something copied.

In the current day, you dont have to keep a copy of the code to save yourself from an FBI raid. It is stranger you can just get pieces of code on a direct google search leading you to the whole thing. Maybe they should care about this more.

I am saying this because this has been done cleverly but I am none to decide what projects choose to do. Just stating facts.

Reply 10 of 10, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-05-16, 12:40:
Kerr Avon wrote on 2022-05-16, 11:57:

It hasn't reached either of them. It slowly is trying to reach there, but that's a long path ahead. The last time I tried, it wasn't able to run MIDI. Some popular office applications and media applications worked fine though. Probably they should look into the leaked Microsoft stuffs and create something inspired by it which may make their work significantly faster.

Originally ReactOS 0.3.x targeted NT 4.0 API level. However that goal changed since 0.4.x as they're targeting NT 5.2 (XP/2003) now.

ReactOS, like many other FOSS alt OSes (such as Haiku) is not going to be very useful for serious gaming or even audio works, as most vendors now only make drivers for Win10 (or maybe Win7 and macOS if the respective userbases are large enough). It might end up becoming a good choice for embedded/IOT use cases, though, as it feels considerably lighter than a full Windows install.

Should point out that Win8/8.1 (NT 6.2/6.3) is effectively dead despite it's not EOL yet (which is due to happen in 2023), as driver vendors (namely AMD) stopped making drivers for those thanks to the abysmal usage share. It may be possible to use Win7 drivers for some hardware in case of the absence of actual Win8/8.1 ones, but they may not work as intended.

IANAL but there's this concept called clean room design which ReactOS intends to respect, so the leaked source code (as well as those who have legal access to read the WRK source) would definitely not be allowed there.