VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Strahd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey,
I just got this game off eBay. The discs look like there in good condition, and I know that other people have gotten this game to run in XP without any extra programs (like DOS box), but I can't get it to run.

When I insert the disc, it attempts to read it - but nothing happens. So I go to Start > Run... > Browse To The CD Drive, and I recieve the following message:

Windows cannot read from this disc. The disc may be corrupted, or using a format not compatable with windows.

Now, I tried this on a 16x, a DVD player, and an old CD ROM, and I still get the same message everytime. I even tried it on a 32x on my other computer, and still get the same error. So it can't be the CD player, I'm thinking maybe the OS (I have XP with SP2), but then again, other people have gotten it to run on XP.

It won't even run through DOS BOX, because the CD is just not getting picked up. Now, I realise there is a possibility that the CD is bad, but I get the same message with every CD (there are six cds with the game). 6 corrupted CDs? Also, the CDs are in near perfect condition as far as scratches and dirt goes. I realise I got it from eBay and people can rip you off, but I got it from someone with over 700 positive reviews, no negative, so I don't think its a scam.

So I dont know what it could possibly be, any help would be greatly appreciated, if I failed to mention any necessary specs or settings let me know, thanks a lot.

Reply 2 of 5, by Strahd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Only got the jewel case, and there is no Windows or Mac logo anywhere on it. The booklet contains installation instructions for Win 3.1, Win 95, Dos 5.0 and the Mac, nowhere in the booklet does it say what OS it's for, and I didn't get the box so I don't have any more information, except for the system requirements for the game, which I got off of the seller on eBay.

System requirements

WIN 95/win3.1 or MS-DOS 5.0+
Minmums: 486/33MHZ+, 8MB RAM+, 20MB on Hard Drive, Mouse, SVGA (640X480, 256 Colors), 2X CD-ROM, Windows compatible Sound Cards, DAC required. Supports: DOS: Soundblaster & 100% compatibles, ProAudio Spectrum. WINDOWS: Windows compatible Sound Cards w/DAC

There wouldn't be any way to tell if it's for the Mac, would there? Can't find any logo anywhere...

Reply 4 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have both the PC and the Mac version of GK II. There is nothing on the label of the jewel case or the discs to indicate it is for the Mac.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 5, by Strahd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, checked the CD with ISObuster. Windows version has a file called setup.exe and mac version has an install file simply called gabriel knight. In this case, my cd contains the latter. So it's the mac version. (Ain't that a bitch...)
Oh well, thanks for all of the feedback, really appreciate the helpfull responses from you guys 😁

-----------------------------------
Why wont it work!