VOGONS

Common searches

Sonic CD

Topic actions

First post, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I've recently acquired this very old, er, oldie. But when I try to run it it tells me I don't have a "DCI compliant" graphic card, and I need one. Since I had no idea what that was, I just tried compatibility modes galore - no luck. My main problem is that I don't even know what DCI Compliant *is*, and therefore whether I'll ever be able to play this game at all.

My card is a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, drivers are version 7.1.8.9 (AFAIK the latest version), my PC is a WinXP Pro with 520Mbs of Ram.

"I think you're the fucking antichrist."
--Donnie Darko

Reply 1 of 14, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DCI = Display Control Interface. It was, apparently, a standard developed by Microsoft and Intel for video drivers and was succeeded long ago by DirectDraw. According to Microsoft's MSDN database, driver writers were instructed to not write support for DCI into any drivers for Windows 98 or higher. There may be a Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit option to emulate DCI -- check it out.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 14, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your explanation - it really seems like those folks at Microsoft are dead set against "backwards compatibility". I would very much like to check out that option, but I'm *really* in strange territory here. Is that something I'd have to look for in my system? If so, where? Or something I have to download? If so, is it shareware/freeware? Is it some application, eve, or something else entirely?

--Donnie Darko

Reply 3 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Errr, I would hardly say Microsoft is against "backwards compatibility". It's something they have to focus on all the time.

What your looking for is here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/ … ty/default.mspx

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 14, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I'll check it out. And as regards to my "backwards compatibility" comment, I apologize. That's what happens when I talk out of my arse about many different things - I was lumping together this and every other little random thing that makes some games unplayable in XP.

EDIT - Well, it looked prosiming, but no go. It has no specific DCI emulation, and I tried EVERY compatibility option it offered, with no luck. Specifically I started the COmpatibility Administrator, created a new "fix", and set that one as Win95 (Sonic CD is for 95) and started turning on some likely compatibility thingies. When they didn't work, I started turning on unlikely ones. Eventually I just turned them ALL on - still the "DCI compliant" error box. Any other ideas?

--Donnie Darko

Reply 7 of 14, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HunterZ - yes, I did (I said so in my "edit", too).

DosFreak - Yes, about that, could you tell me what the official page for those emulators is, if there is one? I«m sorry, but I couldn't find one just Altavista'ing. If you could be so kind as to link me, or - even better - show me where I should have looked to find it, I'll give it a go soon as I can.

--Donnie Darko

Reply 8 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

http://www.vmware.com/
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 9 of 14, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hah, that explains why I didn't find VMWare - I was looking for VWware. But, am I reading this wrong or do I then need to install the operating system I want to do the emulation in, in this canse Win95? 'Cause I don't have that. This is a lot of information, and VMware Workstation 5 seems to be the one that I need, and seems to "split" the PC in more than one "PCs", each with its own OS - but if that's so, it won't do me much good, since I haven't got any other OS... or am I missing something here?

--Donnie Darko

Reply 10 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You aren't missing anything - except perhaps the money to buy Win95?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 11 of 14, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah. Well, no, I wouldn't like to buy Win95 (don't even know where I can find it) for one single game in an attempt that might not work...

Thank'yall, I guess it's rather hopeless. I'll change my strategy, see if I can find anyone who also has a SegaCD and copy his Sonic CD, if they have it. It's technically illegal, but since I already paid for a PC version I don't get to play...

Again, thank'yall for the quick and informative responses.

--Donnie Darko

Reply 13 of 14, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I did. ANd btw, the CA's win95 mode apparently is exactly the same thing as the one in the tab. Which makes sense. And anyway, I did specify in my first post that I've messed around with that tab. Thanks anyway.

--Donnie Darko

Reply 14 of 14, by ThePerson98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I usually dual boot an older operating system for these problems. Even if you do get it working, it about 50% of the time will crash your OS.

AMD Athlon XP 2500+
Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus
ATi Radeon 9800 256 MB
Maxtor 200 GB
Western Digital 40 GB
512 MB PC2700 DDR RAM