VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I have an EA App download of Medal of Honor Airborne, and any time I try to open either version, the setup exe (where you configure your settings, resolution and such) silently crashes. Opening up event viewer shows this:
Faulting application name: moha_setup.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x47bfe2c9
Faulting module name: moha_setup.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x47bfe2c9
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0002fb58
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\EA Games\Medal of Honor Airborne\UnrealEngine3\Binaries\moha_setup.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\EA Games\Medal of Honor Airborne\UnrealEngine3\Binaries\moha_setup.exe

I'm currently on an up to date install of Windows 11 Pro with a RTX 4090 and a i9 13900k, and I even did a fresh install of Windows 11 Pro just to test, and it still crashes with the same error. Does anyone know how to fix this? I've tried opening it with different wrappers (DXVK and dgVoodoo 2), but it still crashes in the same way.

Reply 1 of 26, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Works fine here on Windows 10 / RTX 3090.

It could be a compatibility issue introduced with Windows 11 / RTX 4090, but I don't think it's very likely.

There's probably some other variable you're not aware of, and that you haven't mentioned here that you need to track down.

I have two suggestions, both aren't extremely likely, but worth checking out:
1) Get the game from another source. I wouldn't trust EA app downloads.
2) misbehaving HID device causing crashes. Disconnect everything connected to your motherboard's USB headers and connect just a basic keyboard and mouse. AIO coolers are one of the causes of weird stuff like this.

Reply 2 of 26, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2022-10-30, 16:01:
Works fine here on Windows 10 / RTX 3090. […]
Show full quote

Works fine here on Windows 10 / RTX 3090.

It could be a compatibility issue introduced with Windows 11 / RTX 4090, but I don't think it's very likely.

There's probably some other variable you're not aware of, and that you haven't mentioned here that you need to track down.

I have two suggestions, both aren't extremely likely, but worth checking out:
1) Get the game from another source. I wouldn't trust EA app downloads.
2) misbehaving HID device causing crashes. Disconnect everything connected to your motherboard's USB headers and connect just a basic keyboard and mouse. AIO coolers are one of the causes of weird stuff like this.

1. Tried the Steam version (which is censored) to no avail.
2. I've tried unplugging everything but my keyboard (a Das Keyboard 4), and my mouse (a Logitech G Pro Wireless, which I tried wired and completely unplugged as well), to no avail as well. I'm also using a EK AIO 360 Basic, which doesn't have a software or anything to go with it and isn't plugged in with a USB header or anything.

Reply 3 of 26, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tried on Windows 11 21H2. Works fine. I've tried two moha_setup.exe files, with the following CRC32 hashes:

AC950771
91DAE545

If your exe matches either one of those we can entirely eliminate that as a potential problem. Unfortunately, we're left with two possibilities then:

1) You're missing something on the clean install that's typically installed on most computers, and it's also missing on your non-clean install. Since I've tested three computers and none of them have this issue, one being a computer I don't even use for gaming, I doubt this.

2) It's a hardware issue of some kind. The setup does a few things, it lists resolutions, it might have a problem here, try setting enumerated resolutions in dgVoodoo to classics. It lists audio devices, the problem might be with a audio device, try disabling the audio playback device you're using and use a different one. It also checks some system specifications, mainly RAM and VRAM, If you have more than 32GB RAM that might be an issue, but unlikely.

Reply 4 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe this is the most outside the box idea, but did you try limiting the RAM for the application? There are ways to do it, and many games crashed when the memory integer overflew to become a negative integer.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 5 of 26, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2022-10-31, 10:29:
Tried on Windows 11 21H2. Works fine. I've tried two moha_setup.exe files, with the following CRC32 hashes: […]
Show full quote

Tried on Windows 11 21H2. Works fine. I've tried two moha_setup.exe files, with the following CRC32 hashes:

AC950771
91DAE545

If your exe matches either one of those we can entirely eliminate that as a potential problem. Unfortunately, we're left with two possibilities then:

1) You're missing something on the clean install that's typically installed on most computers, and it's also missing on your non-clean install. Since I've tested three computers and none of them have this issue, one being a computer I don't even use for gaming, I doubt this.

2) It's a hardware issue of some kind. The setup does a few things, it lists resolutions, it might have a problem here, try setting enumerated resolutions in dgVoodoo to classics. It lists audio devices, the problem might be with a audio device, try disabling the audio playback device you're using and use a different one. It also checks some system specifications, mainly RAM and VRAM, If you have more than 32GB RAM that might be an issue, but unlikely.

CRC of the EA app exe is 9121FD3D, and the CRC of the Steam exe is B66AF815, so neither match that.
1. I have 0 clue what'd I be missing here, though.
2. Tried dgVoodoo enumerated resolutions set to classics, no dice. I tried unplugging everything but my DAC (a SMSL SU-8S) and disabling all audio, as well as trying the same with HDMI audio and the same issue occurs. I'm just stumped.

BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-10-31, 10:34:

Maybe this is the most outside the box idea, but did you try limiting the RAM for the application? There are ways to do it, and many games crashed when the memory integer overflew to become a negative integer.

I just tried to pop a stick of RAM out, so I'd be running at 16GB (which I have played this game with in the past), and it didn't work.

Reply 6 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrEWhite wrote on 2022-10-31, 16:18:
CRC of the EA app exe is 9121FD3D, and the CRC of the Steam exe is B66AF815, so neither match that. 1. I have 0 clue what'd I be […]
Show full quote
Tried on Windows 11 21H2. Works fine. I've tried two moha_setup.exe files, with the following CRC32 hashes: […]
Show full quote

AC950771
91DAE545

CRC of the EA app exe is 9121FD3D, and the CRC of the Steam exe is B66AF815, so neither match that.
2. Tried dgVoodoo enumerated resolutions set to classics, no dice. I tried unplugging everything but my DAC (a SMSL SU-8S) and disabling all audio, as well as trying the same with HDMI audio and the same issue occurs. I'm just stumped.

I just tried to pop a stick of RAM out, so I'd be running at 16GB (which I have played this game with in the past), and it didn't work.

I looked up the error which turns up STATUS_STACK_BUFFER_OVERRUN according to stack overflow. I can only think of a heap issue from this. Can you implement the FaultTolerantHeap to the application with ACT, that's all I can guess?
If you don't have ACT, you need to download it from the Windows ADK (you need only Application Compatibility Toolkit from the ADK). If you can't have ACT, I can provide the shim but I will need the executable.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 7 of 26, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, I'm out of suggestions (good ones at least) for why the setup program doesn't work, but does it really matter? The config is just a easily editable text file. I've attached mine, put it in:

%userprofile%\EA Games\Medal of Honor Airborne(tm)\Config

And try launching the game?

Attachments

• Filename
    MOHASettings.ini
    File size
    2.33 KiB
    Downloads
    145 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 26, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-10-31, 16:43:
MrEWhite wrote on 2022-10-31, 16:18:
CRC of the EA app exe is 9121FD3D, and the CRC of the Steam exe is B66AF815, so neither match that. 1. I have 0 clue what'd I be […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

AC950771
91DAE545

I looked up the error which turns up STATUS_STACK_BUFFER_OVERRUN according to stack overflow. I can only think of a heap issue from this. Can you implement the FaultTolerantHeap to the application with ACT, that's all I can guess?
If you don't have ACT, you need to download it from the Windows ADK (you need only Application Compatibility Toolkit from the ADK). If you can't have ACT, I can provide the shim but I will need the executable.

Crashes the same way.

ZellSF wrote on 2022-10-31, 18:24:

OK, I'm out of suggestions (good ones at least) for why the setup program doesn't work, but does it really matter? The config is just a easily editable text file. I've attached mine, put it in:

%userprofile%\EA Games\Medal of Honor Airborne(tm)\Config

And try launching the game?

This works, but is more of a workaround than an actual fix (as it's just skipping the launcher completely).

Reply 9 of 26, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well that it doesn't work on your computer only isn't in need of an actual fix is it? If there was like anyone else having the same problem, then maybe it would, but it seems like there's just something wrong specifically with your computer and you just need to figure it out.

That said, again reminder that these are just wild guesses:

1) We haven't eliminated the possibility that both moha_setup.exe files you have are bad. Can you get one from the disc version somehow?

2) Localization bug. Have you tried US English display language, as well as US English locale? Using only standard characters in your username*? And did you install the game in a path only consisting of standard characters?

3) I disable UAC on all my computers. Is it possible you just need to run the setup as administrator?

4) Multiple monitors? Connect only one.

5) A Google search tells me that the i9-13900K has an iGPU. Try temporarily disconnecting the RTX 4090 and only use the iGPU. Also, when you're using the RTX 4090 check that the iGPU is specifically disabled in BIOS. Multiple GPUs could confuse the setup. Or it might not like either card, easy to eliminate variables here.

* I checked using Process Explorer and the setup doesn't seem to actually touch the user folder until settings are saved, but who knows.

Reply 12 of 26, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't tell people to add exclusions to the DEP list, tell them to set DEP to standard settings ("Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only").

He said he tried on a clean Windows install, so DEP should be set to the standard settings already.

He can check, but please be more careful when recommending people mess with DEP settings. I'm pretty convinced more DEP problems are caused by advice like yours, than fixed by it.

Reply 13 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't have the game so can't test but try dependency walker on the executable, maybe a dependency is missing.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 14 of 26, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an Up to date Windows 11 install with an RTX 4090 and a i9 12900k, the game configures and runs fine for me. Using the same EA app and game version as you.

Reply 15 of 26, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2022-11-01, 08:36:
Well that it doesn't work on your computer only isn't in need of an actual fix is it? If there was like anyone else having the s […]
Show full quote

Well that it doesn't work on your computer only isn't in need of an actual fix is it? If there was like anyone else having the same problem, then maybe it would, but it seems like there's just something wrong specifically with your computer and you just need to figure it out.

That said, again reminder that these are just wild guesses:

1) We haven't eliminated the possibility that both moha_setup.exe files you have are bad. Can you get one from the disc version somehow?

2) Localization bug. Have you tried US English display language, as well as US English locale? Using only standard characters in your username*? And did you install the game in a path only consisting of standard characters?

3) I disable UAC on all my computers. Is it possible you just need to run the setup as administrator?

4) Multiple monitors? Connect only one.

5) A Google search tells me that the i9-13900K has an iGPU. Try temporarily disconnecting the RTX 4090 and only use the iGPU. Also, when you're using the RTX 4090 check that the iGPU is specifically disabled in BIOS. Multiple GPUs could confuse the setup. Or it might not like either card, easy to eliminate variables here.

* I checked using Process Explorer and the setup doesn't seem to actually touch the user folder until settings are saved, but who knows.

1. I've had the Steam version work on previous hardware before, I don't think the exes are bad.
2. US English on both and my username is just English letters. It the game is installed in F:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Medal of Honor Airborne\UnrealEngine3\Binaries. I tried putting it on the C drive as well in a similar location, but no dice.
3. Tried running it as admin, doesn't work.
4. Only one monitor is connected.
5. Motherboard doesn't have any video outs (Asus Z690 Apex)

BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-11-01, 08:52:

Another out of the box opinion, have you tried running CMD as admin and then running the process from there

Doesn't work.

DosFreak wrote on 2022-11-01, 15:15:

Don't have the game so can't test but try dependency walker on the executable, maybe a dependency is missing.

I used the modern version (Dependencies.exe) and it looked fine.

Shagittarius wrote on 2022-11-01, 15:33:

I have an Up to date Windows 11 install with an RTX 4090 and a i9 12900k, the game configures and runs fine for me. Using the same EA app and game version as you.

Maybe it's just incompatible with the 13900k somehow? I dunno.

Reply 16 of 26, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One more suggestion: safe mode. Maybe some manufacturer provided driver software is creating problems.

MrEWhite wrote on 2022-11-01, 16:27:

The BIOS still should let you enable/disable integrated graphics, check that it's disabled. Easiest is just to check in Device Manager in Windows if it sees the integrated GPU (maybe easier just to disable it in Windows to test).

I doubt it, if there were any significant differences between the i9 12900k and it, maybe, but I don't think there is.

I think your best bet is to wait for the next problem (because I'm assuming the cause of this will make more problems) and hope that gives you more information to go on.

Reply 17 of 26, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think your best bet is to wait for the next problem (because I'm assuming the cause of this will make more problems) and hope that gives you more information to go on.

That was my thought also, you're going to encounter other problems too, hopefully it will start to give us a clue.

Reply 18 of 26, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2022-11-02, 08:20:
One more suggestion: safe mode. Maybe some manufacturer provided driver software is creating problems. […]
Show full quote

One more suggestion: safe mode. Maybe some manufacturer provided driver software is creating problems.

The BIOS still should let you enable/disable integrated graphics, check that it's disabled. Easiest is just to check in Device Manager in Windows if it sees the integrated GPU (maybe easier just to disable it in Windows to test).

I doubt it, if there were any significant differences between the i9 12900k and it, maybe, but I don't think there is.

Nothing in device manager other than the 4090. And I'm having 0 issues other than this one with this one game. Other games from this era work perfectly fine without any issue.

Also, just tried safe mode, didn't work either, still silently crashing with the same error in event viewer.

Last edited by MrEWhite on 2022-11-02, 20:06. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 19 of 26, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried this on 22H2, btw? 21H2 is almost a year old.
Actually gonna try and do a clean install of Windows 10. Maybe it'll work there.
Edit: Tried 22H2 Windows 10, same crash.
Edit 2: Tried 20H1 Windows 10, and it crashed the same way. I'm running out of ideas here.

Last edited by MrEWhite on 2022-11-02, 21:17. Edited 2 times in total.