VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by matti157

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
I installed Windows NT4 + SP4 on a 2GB SD card. The installation was successful and after booting I installed SP4

Then I removed the SD and via linux's DD command I made an image

sudo dd if=/dev/sdd of=nt.img bs=4M status=progress

and restored the image to a 4GB SD.

sudo dd if=nt.img of=/dev/sdd bs=4M status=progress

If the boot was running properly later I would enlarge the main partition or create an additional partition.

But instead the boot does not work, instead of the NT4 boot menu I am left with a black screen.

So how can I clone the SD card properly? Is there any other command to give? Thank you

Reply 3 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What filesystem? What size are you trying to expand to? Is it greater than 7.8GB? Keep the OS partition at or below 8GB and the other partition whatever size your controller/driver supports. You may be able to use NTLDR and netdetect.com from 2000 or XP (service packs may overwrite), can't remember but a large OS partition for NT4 isn't needed anyway.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 7, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe my recent notes help you out?
Yesterday I had the same trouble (again), with my 486 VLB system which is VERY picky about SD-cards being bootable. Contrary to, for example, a 440BX system. Using it with these Sintechi SD-IDE adapters. And I could not use a bootable floppy because the system does not like floppy drives anymore. I know the 486's BIOS can handle up to 8GB cards in LBA mode.

I eventually managed to create two additional bootable SD cards for the 486, with a combination of these actions:
1- HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool running from Windows XP. Copying from an already bootable 2GB SD card.
2- Partition Wizard 9 running from Windows XP. To increase the size of the 2GB raw-copied partition.
3- The DOS 7.10 tool: "FDISK /MBR" running on a 440BX system in pure DOS.
On the first SD card action no. 3 did the trick. On the second SD card action no.3 did not help, and I only got it booting doing action no. 1 and then 2.
I am not satisfied with the trial and error involved here.
Earlier I also tried Rufus and Norton Ghost, and the MS-DOS command "SYS *Drive Letter*:" but I don't think they 'hit the spot' here.

The 486 system seems to easily trip over some mysterious data in the boot block. Maybe I should have use the tool below. Which I just found today.
Spur0Kill

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 5 of 7, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Besides all tips, i found Norton Ghost amazing to clone disk and partitions, it auto expand fat,fat32 and ntfs partitions without doing nothing more than just write desire size

Anyways, i found problem in some of my computers to use more than 8GB in primary partition with NT4

Reply 6 of 7, by matti157

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am cloning a 2gb SD to a 4GB sd. So a 2gb partition is created and the remaining space is empty.

I have tried the tool suggested above but the problem persists

But how come Windows NT does not boot into a sector-by-sector copy? I don't understand.

Reply 7 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Assuming you are using FAT16 then NT4 uses a 64k cluster size for FAT16.
It doesn't take long to install NT4 from scratch.
Setup a 2GB or 4GB partition using FAT16 or NTFS, Install, Install latest SP, create a backup image, resize with whatever partition tool that is compatible.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline