VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to get old screen savers working in Windows 10, but I ran into some problems. When the screensaver just has an *.scr file, it works fine, but I've run across some other screensavers that apparently have both an *.scr file AND a *.dll file. When I try to drop one of those in the System32 folder, Windows sees the *.scr file, but it doesn't do anything it's just a black screen.

For reference, I discovered this index of old screensavers that I was looking at. Take, for example, "Baseball," which has a baseball.dll file. http://cs.gettysburg.edu/~duncjo01/archive/sc … /windows/95&98/

Is there some trick to getting these dll screensavers to work, or is there no hope on a modern windows?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 2, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You may need to register the .DLL by opening an elevated command prompt, changing to the \windows\system32 directory and then issuing the command
regsvr32.exe /r dllfilename.dll

But if it's not a 32-bit .DLL, it probably won't be able to be loaded because of the removal of the 16-bit subsystem.

Reply 2 of 2, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AlaricD wrote on 2022-11-22, 21:24:

You may need to register the .DLL by opening an elevated command prompt, changing to the \windows\system32 directory and then issuing the command
regsvr32.exe /r dllfilename.dll

But if it's not a 32-bit .DLL, it probably won't be able to be loaded because of the removal of the 16-bit subsystem.

Ok, thanks. I'm guessing it's not going to work because they are Windows 95 era things.