Common searches

ToChris Quake

Topic actions

First post, by Viciious

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I recently acquired an HP T5720 for my retro PC needs and figured I wanted to keep it simple and use it to mostly run pre-OpenGL era games on it, which of course had to include Quake. Running the original DOS port didn't seem like a great idea, so I opted for WinQuake instead. Unfortunately I ran into some issues (which I won't go into here), but more importantly I felt like I needed some quality-of-life improvements that the original port didn't have, yet still have an authentic gameplay experience. So I dug into my old archives and brushed the dust off my own Quake engine, which I worked on in early 2000's and which primarily focused on the software renderer and QoL stuff. So hereby I present to you ToChriS Quake - a WinQuake variant with the following features (among others):
- animation and movement interpolation for entities, coded in x86 assembly so there's no performance penalty
- 'cl_freelook' console variable: you don't have to type +mlook each time you run the game anymore
- skyboxes support
- advanced console
- system clipboard support for console
- 'writeconfig' and 'viewalias' console commands
- support for external lightmaps (.lit files)
- builtin FPS meter
- the 'fast sky' option
- 'snd_swapstereo' console variable for people with backwards sound wiring

You can find the binaries, changelog and full source code on GitHub: https://github.com/viciious/tochris

Cheers!