VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had this problem where I want to play POD Gold but the videos don't work because I have an install of Thief 1 & 2 (using the vanilla EXEs with dgVoodoo), which requires the latest version of Intel's Indeo codec. POD Gold's GOG installer installs an older version of Indeo that works fine with that game but then doesn't work with either of the Thief game's videos.

Does anyone know a good solution where I can have both working without having to reinstall the codec every time I want to play either of them?

Reply 1 of 9, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) Pod Gold installer NOT replaces the system IV41 codec (ir41_32.ax). It adds ir41_32.dll.
2) The HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32\vidc.iv41 value is changed from ir41_32.ax to ir41_32.dll.
3) The system iv32 codec (ir32_32.dll) is replaced.
The uninstaller NOT revert these changes.
Looks like there is something more. No video if I revert 1-2-3 manually. And I not have debugging skills...

P.S. *Censored* Ubi-Soft programmers!

P.S.S. The method "copy ir41_32.dll to the game directory as ir41_32.ax" not works. Even with LoadLibraryCWD and the dll redirection.

Last edited by Gamecollector on 2023-02-09, 16:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 2 of 9, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How about making registry backups once you install one version, and then utilising the particular backup for the game (considering no file is replaced)?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 3 of 9, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is a "net-made" version of the Indeo codec that came out some years back. It came about because the codec was no longer available/compatible with new versions of Windows, so someone made their own to use with the old games/hardware that required it.

Reply 4 of 9, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) Install the game w/o Indeo (uncheck "Indeo VFW" in "Software tests").
2) Copy ir41_32.dll from <CD>:\INSTALL to %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32.
3) Change the vidc.iv41 value to ir41_32.dll in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32.
4) Play.
5) Change the vidc.iv41 value back to ir41_32.ax in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32.
6) Goto 3). 😀

Tested with WinXPSP3 Pro.

Reply 5 of 9, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More games with "Ubi-Soft Indeo":
1) F1 Racing Simulation. Works ok with ir41_32.ax so just install w/o "Indeo VFW".
2) Monaco Grand Prix Racing Simulation 2. Works ok with ir41_32.ax so just install w/o "Indeo VFW".
3) Speed Busters. Not installs *.dlls. Uses IV50.

Reply 6 of 9, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2023-02-09, 16:24:

There is a "net-made" version of the Indeo codec that came out some years back. It came about because the codec was no longer available/compatible with new versions of Windows, so someone made their own to use with the old games/hardware that required it.

Do you know where I can find this?

Reply 7 of 9, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gamecollector wrote on 2023-02-09, 16:30:
1) Install the game w/o Indeo (uncheck "Indeo VFW" in "Software tests"). 2) Copy ir41_32.dll from <CD>:\INSTALL to %WINDIR%\SYST […]
Show full quote

1) Install the game w/o Indeo (uncheck "Indeo VFW" in "Software tests").
2) Copy ir41_32.dll from <CD>:\INSTALL to %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32.
3) Change the vidc.iv41 value to ir41_32.dll in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32.
4) Play.
5) Change the vidc.iv41 value back to ir41_32.ax in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32.
6) Goto 3). 😀

Tested with WinXPSP3 Pro.

Apparently adding the vidc.iv41 string to the regestry and setting it to ir41_32.dll seems to have fixed the problem (it wasn't there at all before), and both Thief and POD work!!

EDIT: So apparently there is a quirk with this: upon startup, if you play POD first, let the intros play, etc, then try to boot up Thief, Thief's cutscenes won't work until you restart again. If you start Thief first, both of them work fine. It's really weird.

Reply 8 of 9, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OpenRift wrote on 2023-02-09, 20:15:
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2023-02-09, 16:24:

Do you know where I can find this?

There used to be downloads for it, but I haven't used it in ages, so I can't recall. The various versions of Indeo were reverse engineered and put into FFMPEG some years back, after the community had reverse engineered them to make their own release.

Reply 9 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The NewDark changelog states:
"Replaced video player lib with an FFMpeg based one to play cutscenes. LGVid.ax or other codecs are no longer required"
So if you use NewDark itself or TFix\T2Fix which includes NewDark then you should be able to use Indeo for POD and NewDark for the thief games.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline