VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by d3vilsadvocate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found this "guide" on reddit on how to install HL 1:
https://www.reddit.com/r/HalfLife/comments/ag … esteam_version/

Is there a consensus here as to how to install HL? This guide doesn't even mention the latest official patch 1.1.1.0
Does it have to be this convoluted? Any downsides to installing HL1 with 1.1.1.0 directly and then adding opposing force and blue shift later?

Guide:
01 - Install Half-Life
02 - Update Half-Life To V1.1.0.4 (hl1104.exe) [Official Update]
03 - Install Opposing Force
04 - Update Opposing Force To V1.1.0.1 (of1101.exe) [Official Update] {Only Install This Update If You Have The Version That Was Not Included With Blue Shift}
05 - Update Opposing Force To V1.1.0.6 (of1106.exe) [Official Update] {Only Install This Update If You Have The Version That Was Not Included With Blue Shift}
06 - Update Half-Life From V1.1.0.4 To V1.1.0.8 (11041106.exe/11061107.exe/11071108.exe) [Official Update]
07 - Update Opposing Force To V1.1.0.8 (of1108.exe) [Official Update]
08 - Update Half-Life From V1.1.0.8 To V1.1.1.0 (11081109.exe/11091110.exe) [Official Update]
09 - Install Blue Shift
10 - Install Half-Life: High Definition Pack
11 - Update Blue Shift To V1.0.0.1 (bspatch.exe) [Official Update]

Reply 1 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
d3vilsadvocate wrote on 2023-04-01, 22:24:

02 - Update Half-Life To V1.1.0.4 (hl1104.exe) [Official Update]
03 - Install Opposing Force

The Platinum Pack would make you install Opposing Force BEFORE v1.1.0.4 (the "Team Fortress 1.5" CD). hl1104.exe would update Opposing Force accordingly, especially as 1.1.0.0 had major network changes that regressed about everything.

You don't need the incremental updates. A lot of the steps looks like smartypants filler. You don't need Blue Shift either.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 3, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

glad i have half life generation....

i install it as per cd order and then play it an enjoy the game, and thats all there is to it!

not sure how it can get better really

leileilol wrote on 2023-04-01, 23:02:

You don't need the incremental updates. A lot of the steps looks like smartypants filler. You don't need Blue Shift either.

you do need blueshift! *
*but only because its fun to play as Barney and see the game from that view!! I loved it the first time i played through 😀

Reply 3 of 3, by d3vilsadvocate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I ended up getting the ‚Platinum‘ edition from the REMOVED that comes up with an installation guide that was highly recommended in the comments.

It‘s convoluted and takes 20 mins to install (on an ssd based system). But it works well and gets all the games updated.

As posted above, it is possible to get HL directly to 1.1.0.0, but when I skipped one HL update I was no longer able to install one of the opposing force updates…

So right now I’m recommending said unofficisl Platinum edition and following the provided installation guide even though it might seem idiotic to do so.

Btw one of the 5 cd images comes with multiple bin files and one cue file. Using CDmage this can easily be converted to a single cue/bin file combo just like the other ones. An oversight by the uploader unfortunately.

Unfortunately, the unofficial FOV/resolution patch disables the audio cd for me, so that‘s a no-go for now.