VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by greg2002tii

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed Win98se on a brand new 120GB hard drive, and it was Fat16 and limited to 2GB. So I followed some instructions I found online and booted from the newly created startup disk, deleted the partition, and began the install again. It asked whether I wanted to use large disks, and I say yes. I said yes to use the whole disk for fdisk, but when I formatted it only shows 8GB. I was hoping for a lot more !! Any advice ?

Reply 1 of 7, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You have a BIOS that offers LBA translation but lacks Int 13h Extensions, and therefore a DOS-like OS can't access beyond translated cylinder 1024, head 255, sector 63, or 8.4 GB.

There might be a BIOS update for your board. If it's Award, be aware that such updates might introduce an even worse bug where the system locks up during POST if a drive with an apparent size greater than 32GB is attached.

If there is no BIOS update, or it has that bug, you could look into translation software such as EZ-Drive or OnTrack, or you could look at a hardware solution such as installing an XT-IDE Universal BIOS option ROM into your machine.

Reply 2 of 7, by greg2002tii

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2023-04-22, 02:14:

You have a BIOS that offers LBA translation but lacks Int 13h Extensions, and therefore a DOS-like OS can't access beyond translated cylinder 1024, head 255, sector 63, or 8.4 GB.

There might be a BIOS update for your board. If it's Award, be aware that such updates might introduce an even worse bug where the system locks up during POST if a drive with an apparent size greater than 32GB is attached.

If there is no BIOS update, or it has that bug, you could look into translation software such as EZ-Drive or OnTrack, or you could look at a hardware solution such as installing an XT-IDE Universal BIOS option ROM into your machine.

It's a brand new ASUS VX97 (upgraded to P1-MMX 233 with 128 ram) and will investigate the BIOS for an LBA option. I have a few XT-IDE cards in some other machines, but this is my new vintage gaming machine. I built one hard drive with Dos 6.2 and Win2K, but I decided to use the new hard drive I had, so it's all Win98 on this one. It is Award but I don't want to do the update. I will keep you posted, and thanks.

Greg

Reply 4 of 7, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
greg2002tii wrote on 2023-04-22, 02:23:

It's a brand new ASUS VX97 (upgraded to P1-MMX 233 with 128 ram) and will investigate the BIOS for an LBA option. I have a few XT-IDE cards in some other machines, but this is my new vintage gaming machine. I built one hard drive with Dos 6.2 and Win2K, but I decided to use the new hard drive I had, so it's all Win98 on this one. It is Award but I don't want to do the update. I will keep you posted, and thanks.

Greg

Check here: http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

Jan has an modded BIOS for that ASUS motherboard which supports K6plus CPUs and HDD up to 128GB.

Edit: The same modded BIOS is also on "The Retro Web" site linked in the above post.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 6 of 7, by greg2002tii

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-04-22, 02:35:
Check here: http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm […]
Show full quote
greg2002tii wrote on 2023-04-22, 02:23:

Greg

Check here: http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

Jan has an modded BIOS for that ASUS motherboard which supports K6plus CPUs and HDD up to 128GB.

Edit: The same modded BIOS is also on "The Retro Web" site linked in the above post.

Thx !!

Reply 7 of 7, by Mercury048

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't guarantee this will work on any system, but I was able to get a disk larger-than-BIOS-recognizes working on a very old PC of mine.

I partitioned using Linux (an old version of VectorLinux to be specific, booted from CD) parted and fdisk and set the partition type to 0x0C (FAT32 LBA). By default most DOS/Windows tools of the era set type 0x0B (FAT32 CHS).

Windows98 was able to handle this drive correctly from that point on, even though the BIOS showed the wrong size.