VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am currently trying to run David Douillet Judo (or its demo) on Windows 10. The game originally supported 98 through XP.
What happens is that the game shows the splashscrens, after that the screen stays black, the GPU is used slightly, and rougly one CPU core is used.
I tried the following:

• Setting XP compatibility mode
  • Running as administrator
  • Running in a lower resolution and in a window
  • Switching between the IGP (Vega 7 in Ryzen 7 4800H) and the GPU (Geforce 2060 mobile)
  • Trying D3D wrappers. (The game links to DirectX 9 DLLs). dgVoodoo2 seems to be used since its logo is shown in the lower right corner, but the rest of the screen stays blank.

I suppose the next step would be to run it under XP in a VM. Which virtualization software is recommended to get 3D acceleration in an XP VM? I suppose the performance does not have to be very high if that is an issue, the game is from 2006.
Or are there other options?
The demo is available on archive.org: https://archive.org/download/DavidDouilletJudoDemo

Reply 1 of 4, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well it's sound related in some way, so trying to troubleshoot graphics (GPU / D3D wrappers) isn't going to get you anywhere. Game runs fine for me if I disable all sound devices before launching the game. Not that that's very helpful.

Reply 3 of 4, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
idspispopd wrote on 2023-06-21, 16:35:

I am currently trying to run David Douillet Judo (or its demo) on Windows 10.

Fixed in DxWnd.

Download DxWnd version 2.05.96, then install patch it to this, then to this. It works even better than the I/O in Windows 7.

Else try placing this in the game folder:

Attachments

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 4 of 4, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Works now. Thanks a lot! The DxWnd developers sure are quick.
Funny that the game broke with Windows 10 (or 8?) but worked with Windows 7. I used to think that Vista was the biggest change and 10 was relatively good with older games.