VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought this game ages ago but never really played it because my computer at the time was too slow and by the time I got a brand new one, I had far better looking games to play.

Now, with Scotty passing away (the actor who played him died) I was reminded of the game and wanted to play it again, hoping it would be a DOS game, but alas, it's an early Windows 95 game and we all know how much fun those are to get running perfectly (!)

Installation goes well but when I try to run the game, even with compatibility mode, 640*480 and 256 colours on, it doesn't play the intro and crashes when trying to beam down to the planet.

So, is there anyone who actually has the game and managed to get it to run near perfectly?

Reply 1 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't have it.

Lucky guess #1:
If it's a P4 with HyperThreading try setting the affinity for the game to a single processor.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could also check whether your game is updated or not. Check the web for patches (if available).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 9, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope, I have an AMD 64 3000+ and I have found other people with older systems that had the same problem.

And there's no patch or crack at all for STTNG. I did hear it works under Microsoft Virtual PC.

Reply 5 of 9, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a DOS game though, I did use all the stuff to get Final Unity running a few months ago, but Generations is completely Windows, nothing there will apply to it, but thanks anyway.

Reply 6 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried the usual stuff?

Reducing Hardware/Sound acceleration?
Using a slowdown program like Abandon Loader?

You said it doesn't play the Intro....is the intro encoded into game files or is it a an .AVI file encoded with a custom codec?

Wish I had the game to test out but I never picked it up because it was a Star Trek game and they are usually crap.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 9, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I installed Virtual PC because I got tired of the nonsense, and it runs it fine except that I can't turn left or right in the game - which is quite an important problem 😖 I can strafe, move forward and backward, jump, duck, shoot, etc. but NOT turn left and right.

Reply 8 of 9, by cmw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Umm I think you can, Ive played the game through when it was new and beside the technical aspect of the problem, this game is just insane dumb crap, beginning with controls, youll have to set a key for mouselook. Im not sure if you can lock it or not, but if not, youll have to press the key for mouselook all the time (i suggest shift or sth). However, I still think that there MUST be bindings for left-right somewhere.. well guess ive got to install it again (first try in xp, to see if its really impossible, and if yes, then on 98... but i have fear to boot that, got to install about 4 new hardware cards, since its quite a while i bootet it alst (about 8 month ago to play vampire: the masquerade which wouldnt install on 2k for some unknown reason (although it now works fine on xp^^)).