VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nixxel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, this is my first post here so I apologise if this is in the wrong place.

I've just lost many hours of my life trying to fix an issue with my Windows 98 SE machine. The CDRom drive stopped showing in Windows, I could access it from DOS (via a win98 startup disk) and could see it in Device Manager if I booted windows into Safe Mode, but if I did a normal boot of Windows it just vanished (not in explorer, not in device manager).

I tried a LOT of different things before giving up and re-installing Windows, after I did this the CDRom returned... for a while... then it went again.

I'd run out of ideas of things to try, so my debugging skills came in to play, what was the last thing I did before the drive dematerialized? I'd installed Unreal Tournament GOTY Edition (again). I thought there's no way installing a game could cause Windows to lose a drive, but being out of options I uninstalled it and rebooted. THE DRIVE CAME BACK!

Madness!

I've tried a couple times since, installing and uninstalling the game and I can 100% reproduce the issue.

My mind is blown. Has anyone else had something like this happen? I've been gaming and coding on computers for 3 decades and I've never seen this before.

Reply 2 of 11, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you using a "clean" Windows 98 SE install, or have you applied any third party patches or service packs?

You could try Total Uninstall (nab it from the Essential Utilities-section of my guide for Win 95) to try and track the changes that the UT installer makes to see if any of the modified files or registry entries point you in the direction of the cause.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 3 of 11, by Nixxel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
giantclam wrote on 2024-01-21, 21:42:

Is it a disc based install?

Yes, the game installs fine from the CD and so long as I don’t reboot the machine I can still use the CDRom drive and play the game. But once I reboot the drive is gone.

Reply 4 of 11, by Nixxel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leonardo wrote on 2024-01-21, 22:10:

Are you using a "clean" Windows 98 SE install, or have you applied any third party patches or service packs?

You could try Total Uninstall (nab it from the Essential Utilities-section of my guide for Win 95) to try and track the changes that the UT installer makes to see if any of the modified files or registry entries point you in the direction of the cause.

It’s a clean install of Windows 98 SE (no windows patches) but I have installed nvidia drivers (GeForce2 MX), sound drivers and VIA chipset drivers.

That’s interesting about using Total Uninstall, if I get a minute I might give that a go, see if I can solve the mystery.

I was thinking about the possibility of the installer changing something in the registry, what kind of makes this even stranger though is that simply uninstalling the game brings the drive back, I’d have thought that if the installer borked something in the registry then the damage would be more permanent?

Reply 6 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can't remember if UT used safedisc or not but that would do it. I want to say yes since I want to say I remember the thumbnail image used on load that implies copy protection but it's been decades since I ran UT uncracked so could be misremembering:
Re: So how big a deal were Safedisc and SecuROM on XP Installations?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 11, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2024-01-22, 07:57:

Retail UT v400 did use safedisc. it wasn't until many versions later (i.e. 436) that it was removed

Is this a regional thing? My UT CDs have never had any kind of restrictions (v400) - the game installs and will run fully without a disc in the drive. No hacks or patches required. Of course I still update to 436 for all the other improvements, but I don't understand all the back and forth here about having to use a No-CD solution.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 11 of 11, by Nixxel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

An update:

I think I've fixed the issue, though I never did quite get to the bottom of it.

When setting up this machine I decided to go for an SSD instead of a HDD by using an IDE to SATA adapter card. I had this in the primary port on the same IDE cable as the CDROM which was set to slave (no jumper options on the adapter card to set it to primary but it must be like that by default). I then had an IDE to SD Card adapter plugged in to the secondary IDE port so that I could more easily transfer files to the machine (I don't want to connect it to my network).

I've since removed the SD Card adapter and plugged the CDROM into the secondary port and set to master. Then re-installed Windows. This seems to have "fixed" it, I can now install Unreal Tournament and not loose the drive.

Feels like a cop-out though since I never really got to the bottom of why the previous setup broke with certain games installed. But it's working now I guess.

Incidentally I found the exact same issue with The Sims Deluxe Edition. Which would also cause the CD drive to disappear, uninstalling alone wouldn't bring it back in this case as the uninstaller doesn't delete all the files. However deleting the Maxis folder entirely would work and the drive would return after a reboot.

Weird!