VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am on Windows 11 and I have the Infernal Machine CD's, Steam Version and GOG version. I have this issue when loading save games that the menu pops up but does not populate anything in it (see picture). Now I can type in the name of a save game and as long as it is pointed in the correct directory it will load, but this is pretty annoying. Anyone have any suggestions?

Attachments

"Never pay more than 20 dollars for a computer game" - Guybrush Threepwood

Reply 1 of 6, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So did a fresh install of Windows 11 and the issue seems to persist. Sometimes doing a fresh install would fix this in the past.

Reply 2 of 6, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are the files just the same color as the background? Try clicking in the dialog to see if you can highlight or load something that way. Could be some color depth issue with their dialog system.

Reply 3 of 6, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You haven't indicated whether Windows 11 is set to show or not show hidden files, folders and drives in Folder Options. Perhaps the save games or the folder the save games are located in have "Hidden" attributes set.

Reply 4 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IDK if Windows II got as anal as ubuntu, but I had a problem with dosbox on that where the user that launched dosbox didn't have permission to write to the directory it was trying to save to. Some variation of that may be involved.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 6, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All hidden files are set to be shown as I need that for other things. I can type the save file name in the box and it loads but clicking in the file selector does not highlight anything. I can save games just fine so I don't think it's some sort of file permission issue.

Reply 6 of 6, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would still try changing the color depth before launching the game, if you haven't already try setting your desktop to 16bit. If not try setting compatibility mode to the oldest windows 11 allows. This just looks like a UI incompatibility which you might be able to fix with some of the "compatibility options" as well.