VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Silver is a game from Infogrames that was released in 1999 for Windows 95/98. It installs fine on Windows XP, but hangs when you try to start it. I have tried the various compatibilty modes but none seem to work and it still hangs at the beginning. Its a console style action adventure RPG. It's not even listed on Infogrames site anymore now that they have changed their name to Atari, and googling for it I haven't found any patches or anything to help getting it running on XP.
I just wanted to see if anyone had tried it, or had any suggestions. Thanks.

Reply 1 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Microsoft's Application Compatability Toolkit 4.0 (available on their web site) contains fixes for Silver. Just download and install the ACT and it should help.

Might help to look for a patch on dlh.net as well.

Reply 3 of 14, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had a similar problem with Silver (spanish version). If you're trying the US version, you can find the update in www.patches-scrolls.de

My problem was solved using a crack. Maybe you want try that.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 14, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's the copyprotection - at least that's my guess. Why?

I installed Qemu, with Windows 95 on a virtual drive. It emulates Windows 95 near perfectly ... except for the CD ROM drive. It allows you to load iso files, but ISO files are inherently useles for copy protections. I tried Silver and got the exact same problem as in Windows XP - installs fine, but won't run. So, I guess there's a copy protection which only works on Windows 9X - the ISO I made of the game to load inside Qemu will not have contained the copy protection so ...

Reply 9 of 14, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Same here, I get further without the cracks. Using the original cd I get to the point where the start menu appears, but after selectiing New Game the screen goes black and the opening music begins to play then gets stuck in a repeating cycle until I kill the program. As mentioned before it probably is the copy protection. Using the cracks I get a message saying it's not a vailid Win32 application when I try to run silver.exe and I never get to the menu. I have also tried using the various compatibility modes and daemon tools to no avail.

Thanks for the help anyway WolverineDK.

Reply 10 of 14, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In addition to the copy protection problems newer video cards are way too fast for Silver. So there were several patches released.

http://hampe.1go.dk/mirror/silver/

I got it running perfectly on Windows XP using the SilverUK_GeForce2Patch_v2.zip.

You should alternatively try the SilverUSGeforce2 patch if your version is the US version.
Also you might need the two other fixes for the notorious sewer and mansion bugs.

Reply 11 of 14, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks Doomer, that worked perfectly. I installed it using the original cd, then upgraded it to 1.09G US version. I replaced the silver.exe in the game directory with the one in SilverUS_GeForce2Patch_v2.zip. I guess the problem was my Geforce 6600 video card was too fast.

Thanks again.

Reply 12 of 14, by Wolverin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the original version of Silver and sure installs fine on WinXP.
After the Geforce v2 Update was patched (v1.09G US) works great on
XP. NO hangs or freezes anymore. I uses a "legal downloaded" NoCD
FixedExe anyway (i hate uses my original media, if possible put back).
I played some months ago at WinXP SP1 installed,but i guess at SP2/SP3
will don't have any problems playing the game.
A little note yet: the v1.09 Update patch VERY NECESSARY to play the
game go to final, becouse some terrible bug without it!!

Reply 13 of 14, by Nutana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I did patch and crack Silver with those patches mention above and the game is now working but I still got a problem concerning the sound. When I arrive at the menu the sound get outflipped and when I press start to get to the game its still outflipped and sound like it got stuck and repeats itself like crazy. Anyone got any ideas?