VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Agent404

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

I have been in this hobby for some years now, and the internet gods often points me to this forum when I search for solutions, and this time I thought that I might as well register and say hi.

I am trying to build a triple boot retro system that is supposed to run Windows XP, Vista and 7, and I have a lot of trouble getting XP to work with ACHI enabled. Everything works fine in PATA mode, but as I am booting 7 off of an SSD I would like ACHI mode enabled on the system. My mainboard is a Fujitsu D2812-A11 with a Q45 (Manifacturer calls or an “iQ45” - Very cute!) chipset and an ICH10DO ACHI SATA controller. The HDD that is supposed to contain Windows XP is on the SATA0 port which has a compatibility mode that the manual says would allow it to run in PATA mode while the rest of the system runs in ACHI, but it does not work.

The ISO I am using usually installs just fine on ACHI systems both older and newer than this one and I have tried several different HDDs, but to no avail. I have also downloaded a ton of different ACHI drivers and tried to load them by loading them to a floppy disk and pressing F6 while installing Windows XP, but they all report that “iaStor.sys caused an unexpected error 4113 in line 2113” and fails to load. Trying to install XP in ACHI mode causes an 0x0000007B BSOD. Vista and 7 installs just fine. Other ISOs, including ones where ACHI drivers for my specific SATA controller is listed as being prepackaged, also does this.

I am at my wits end, why won’t this just work? What am I doing wrong? Any help would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
Michael

Reply 1 of 3, by Truffon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
Went through a lot of trouble to install windows XP on a Z77 board with ahci enabled.
Ended up using Easy2Boot, which loads drivers and do some tricks with the windows installer to prevent crashes due to AHCI controllers.

Reply 2 of 3, by Agent404

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For posterity, using Easy 2 Boot sort of worked. Windows PE stopped crashing during installation, but the WD Velociraptor still refused to be recognized by Windows XP.

I gave up on my original idea of installing XP on the 10.000 RPM drive and got a conventional 7.200 drive for it instead, which works fine. My searches showed that the velociraptor drives doesn’t like XP anyway, so I installed Vista on it instead and 7 on an SSD.

Reply 3 of 3, by EduBat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had similar problems with my asus p5q board (which also has a ich10), where either the drivers supplied with the board or downloaded from the internet did not work. Ended up solving it by selecting ich9 instead, in the "F6 menu".