VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by fractal5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally have two CT6670 Creative Labs 3dfx Voodoo 2 cards.

I have them in SLI and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

When it doesn't work, I get the following error:

"RUNDLL32 caused an invalid page fault in module 3DFXV2PS.DLL"

I've tried cleaning the contacts and reseating the cards, same issue.

I'm using the athlon-voodoo2.zip drivers for both cards, as this is an Athlon based system. Windows 98 SP2.

Reply 1 of 5, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any problems when using them apart from each other?

Try running the Donut Demo for some time.

Do you have proper air flow? They tend to get quite hot.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 2 of 5, by fractal5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PD2JK wrote on 2024-03-27, 16:22:

Any problems when using them apart from each other?

Try running the Donut Demo for some time.

Do you have proper air flow? They tend to get quite hot.

They work fine separately as far as I can tell, but I haven't run extensive tests, just haven't been able to reproduce the problem in the games that I've tried.

I'm not sure if running the Donut Demo will make a difference — this is a problem that presents itself either immediately after booting, or not at all (until after a reboot). I also don't think this is temperature related as I can make the error present itself just by going into screen properties, then it crashes, and the the 3dfx tab is missing. However, when games work, the 3dfx tab is present and there are no issues.

I thought this was a faulty contact for some time, but given that I can just reboot the machine and then it might work again I'm doubting that is the case.

Perhaps it is a problem with the Athlon Voodoo 2 driver? Is it as stable as the non-Athlon driver in SLI? Any experiences?

Reply 5 of 5, by Tevian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This may not be helpful, and I'm not running on an Athlon but I had some very strange problems with inconsistent errors with Voodoo2 SLI on my windows 98 machine. Very strange halts and DLL issues. Turns out it was bad RAM in the machine not the Voodoo's.

Like I said, this might not help, but it could be a hardware issue especially if the errors are inconsistent or "trap" like. Meaning you can make it work but only under specific circumstances.

Can you share a little more about the hardware? Motherboard, main graphics card, etc...