VOGONS

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, I have a Gainward GF2 Ti450, which is noticeably faster than anything else I have tried in my k6/3 box.

Would anything go noticeably faster do you think? Or would faster gfx cards be cpu-limited?

Been looking at old Tom's Hardware AGP reviews...

Reply 1 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why don't you just look at the games you actually want to play, and see if they run at a speed that is acceptable to you? I daresay anything that might use a GF2 would work better on any recently-available computer anyway.

Reply 3 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

But I have no doubt someone out there could write a fancy tech demo that would take full advantage of whatever ridiculously overpowered graphics card might still work on that motherboard and only be minimally affected by the older CPU.

I don't get it. But maybe that's just me.

Reply 4 of 5, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suspect that a K6/3 mobo only has 3.3 volt (2x) AGP slot, so it seems the real question is: what is the fastest AGP 2X video card?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 5 of 5, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

fwiw I found what I needed on k6plus.com: looks like it may be worth experimenting with a gf3 ti, for dx8 games i might want to play on this machine [wc3 springs to mind]. reason i might want to do that is as a third or fourth machine in a multiplayer match. not sure if the gf2 has advantages in terms of older game compatibility though.